LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

burmjohn

I heard twice as many shots this morning, at home in zone 9F than I did on opening day.  About (4) were before legal sunup, but most were between 7:30 and 8:30.   There has been no shots over the last hour.   I saw no deer, but the neighbor fired twice within a couple hundred yards of me.   The only deer I saw here, since opening day of gun, other than the button buck my buddy shot (in my freezer now) is the doe I shot that afternoon (in my sister's freezer now).  I am happy to still have my buck tag as we head up to zone 6C for the long Thanksgiving weekend within the next hour.   That makes the 4-1/2 hour drive a lot more enjoyable.           

Watched this beauty tend a doe on Clarence Center Rd Tuesday 97f154fcac38a1b170fe780b3eac4a79.jpge5249be1db86ea9d768fca87c6f764e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 8

Two words: Blair Witch

Haha you ain't kiddin. It's deff a bit creepy sitting up in the garage attic lol. There's tons of stuff all over in the house and garage. It's like the people just up and left decades ago. They must of been into hunting though and I have a pretty strong feeling that they sat in that garage attic right where I am. There's old hunting hats and even a box of old hunting magazines up there!

But the deer know this place has sat abandoned for decades and they walk all around it and in between the house and barn. I have a stand on the other end of the field and I've watched them while on stand walking around the house. Seemed like a no brainer to use it to my advantage
  • Like 5

Went out with my buddy and 9 others this morning. Saw 4 doe on first drive, all yearlings and the second I saw 5 doe and a BIG 8pt who was hobbling something awful. I kicked him up at less than  30 yards and he did stop out about 120yds and I had a solid rest but no tag. 

Buddy shot a 6pt on first drive too!!

IMG_20161124_091706498.jpg

Edited by Zem18
Phone is stupid and apparently so is the user
  • Like 1

Hunted this morning in 4L for the 5th time this season. Buddy was able to score on a small 6 point and that was the only deer that we seen all morning. Plenty of fresh tracks in the snow, we will be back out tomorrow to try it again.

Nice, another 4L hunter... I'm up near Taborton. You hit up Capital District WMA?

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

Well my son got it done tonight !!!

Shot five times hit the deer five times ,, lungs, front leg, grazed the belly, guts, and last spined him ..

I said why so many  shots he  said Dad you always said if you can see them and they are up shoot :)

This is his first gun buck he has taken doe with the gun and harvested with the bow a buck,, Awesome day to share with your son ..

Edited by Bowshotmuzzleloader
  • Like 14

Finally saw some brown today!  Nearly walked into a doe +1 more in the thickets right behind my house at 5 am.  Later in the morning, something (buck?) came to my 9 o'clock about 50 yards away behind a mess of trees.  No visual, but I heard 3 'snorts', but no wheeze?  Wasn't sure what to make of that and was in an akward position as a lefty trying to turn full left. Rookie mistake, I flip the doe bleat can trying to coax this thing 20 yards closer into an open spot.  It takes a casual hop to its right and is gone.  

So that makes 5 solid days in the woods without getting a scope on target.  I'm bummed, to be honest.  Going On Call at work for the next 10 days and dread it. 

• Like 1

IMG_1295.JPGFelt real good to get it done today at about 2:00.  He had at least two does with today.  i have gotten to see this buck at least once a week for the last 4 weeks and today he finally presented himself to me.  Killed him with a bow.

Edited by f3cbboy
  • Like 23

Well my son got it done tonight !!!
Shot five times hit the deer five times ,, lungs, front leg, grazed the belly, guts, and last spined him ..
I said why so many  shots he  said Dad you always said if you can see them and they are up shoot
This is his first gun buck he has taken doe with the gun and harvested with the bow a buck,, Awesome day to share with your son ..

A kid from my own heart! Good job dad and congrats to the young fella!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

A kid from my own heart! Good job dad and congrats to the young fella!

Thanks guys!

Just a great ending to a great day,,, what a great experience for a father as many of us know to share and cement in the mind of your offspring,,, the  bonding,,, and memories are etched..  I'm as proud as a father can be for him,,, not only for this,,, but how he conducts and lives his life,,, I can only hope he will carry this tradition on with his kids,,, he was so excited it's hard to put into words..

• Like 16

55 minutes ago, Bowshotmuzzleloader said:

Thanks guys!

Just a great ending to a great day,,, what a great experience for a father as many of us know to share and cement in the mind of your offspring,,, the  bonding,,, and memories are etched..  I'm as proud as a father can be for him,,, not only for this,,, but how he conducts and lives his life,,, I can only hope he will carry this tradition on with his kids,,, he was so excited it's hard to put into words..

I love it!

• Like 1

9H. 39 degrees. 5 mph SSW wind. Dang it , daughter still sick with fever and little dizzy. Didn't go with us to dinner last night either. Today was her last chance of gun season. Only made it to opener and missed yesterday as well. She's pretty bummed. Gotta say I am too. All the efforts we put in to sighting in gun, shooting , scouting etc. She has one day she can hunt ML   Some snow left here which makes it so much easier to see the deer. Maybe today I'll see something bigger than a golden retriever. Good luck to everyone going out today. 

Oh yeah , Kohls , Target and Wally World were slammin when I drove by. There's absolutely nothing I need from Walmart to get me up this early to go shop. Lol  But to sit in the woods , priceless ! 

• Like 7

What you still sleeping?...I am not sure I'm going out this am...I just got in from driving the Gator around the property picking up wood for Mr B to take to camp... Apparently their wood pile had a problem during the summer, Ya, I know but, I asked  and offered several times over the last couple of days...and all summer when I was cutting it and was foolish to ask again this morning..."Well if you really want to ,it would save us from having actually cut it at camp" :rolleyes:...Lord I do love him......needless to say...probably wouldn't  be very productive to hunt right now anyways...and I haven't  had time to shower yet...but he has a full dumper of wood to take, all cut just the right size...So they can all just go hunt and not worry about cutting or splitting wood. Maybe I'll take the cross bow to the swamp.Hope you all had a great time with family and friends yesterday...We certainly did...Good Luck ,be safe....

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

Up in my haunted house blind this morning. Even spookier getting in here in the dark haha. I've got all day to hunt. Don't have to be in to work until 7. I hope I can put a nice buck down today.

I'm at least nice and recharged this morning. I passed out on the couch last night at 6. Must of crawled into bed at some point cause I woke up there at 5:03 am ready to hunt. After being awake for 42 hours that sleep felt awesome. Was up early enough to take a drive to town for a coffee and cigar. Now I'm nestled in my haunted house ready to roll. Just had a doe walk in front of me 20 yards out. Not a clue in the world I'm up here.

• Like 4

Up in my haunted house blind this morning. Even spookier getting in here in the dark haha. I've got all day to hunt. Don't have to be in to work until 7. I hope I can put a nice buck down today.

I'm at least nice and recharged this morning. I passed out on the couch last night at 6. Must of crawled into bed at some point cause I woke up there at 5:03 am ready to hunt. After being awake for 42 hours that sleep felt awesome. Was up early enough to take a drive to town for a coffee and cigar. Now I'm nestled in my haunted house ready to roll. Just had a doe walk in front of me 20 yards out. Not a clue in the world I'm up here.

Not to alarm you but there's probably a kid in that basement staring at the corner...

• Like 2

Not to alarm you but there's probably a kid in that basement staring at the corner...

Hahaha. I hope not. I locked the basement door just to be safe! Lol. There is a very small triangle shaped door on the other end of this garage attic that goes into the 2nd story of the main house above the living room and kitchen. But it doesn't span the whole house. Maybe 20 ft long. It's like a separate room you can only get to from this garage attic. And there's a old massive dead bolt locking mech on the little door. Like someone was locking something or someone away up there. The lock and hinges all seem like overkill if you were just simply locking some non living items up....ooo the stories these walls could tell....
  • Like 1