Buck weight (field dressed) - what's a "big one" in NY

buckchaser

3 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

13.5 !!!??? Come on ! I almost don't believe it !

haha... then you really wouldn't believe me at all then if I told a couple have been 20.5 and one 15.5 from surrounding QDM co-ops.  think about it how many here have let a mature doe walk whether your knew it was or not?  everyone's used to buck ages not doe ages.  bucks' lives are very different and conducive of a short life span.

In general any deer over 180 dressed is a big deer in my book.  I was lucky enough to catch one over 200 in 2010.  Depending on the time of year and how active they are in the rut can make a big difference as NYAntler stated.  Food resources is another factor along with genes. 

bk210.jpg

I know typically 200lbs is a mark many would like to hit and is considered a very big buck.  By the time we finished dragging this deer out I was getting weight estimates of 225-240, he hit the scale 3 days later at 207lbs. 

Do you think I was happy?  Still can't get over how awesome this buck and the adventure was 6 years later.  Just went down and thanked him and his 2 brothers for the adventures they have put me through over the past 28 years chasing the great whitetail.   

DSCN1834.JPG

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

In general any deer over 180 dressed is a big deer in my book.  I was lucky enough to catch one over 200 in 2010.  Depending on the time of year and how active they are in the rut can make a big difference as NYAntler stated.  Food resources is another factor along with genes. 

bk210.jpg

I know typically 200lbs is a mark many would like to hit and is considered a very big buck.  By the time we finished dragging this deer out I was getting weight estimates of 225-240, he hit the scale 3 days later at 207lbs. 

Do you think I was happy?  Still can't get over how awesome this buck and the adventure was 6 years later.  Just went down and thanked him and his 2 brothers for the adventures they have put me through over the past 28 years chasing the great whitetail.   

DSCN1834.JPG

now that's a deer I don't doubt the weight of.....very nice.

• Like 2

bk210.jpg

DSCN1834.JPG

What time of year did you kill him? He's a stud for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is great reading about & seeing all those big ole bucks (& does)! Kicks my anticipation and enthusiasm levels up a couple of notches!

Not to be a stick in the mud, but back to the OP's original question. Don't you think there are way too many qualifiers to make any generalized avg wgt of NYS buck statements or opinions??? Avg wgt of Adk, brush lot, suburban or bean/corn fed bucks of the same age class will differ. A brush lot buck taken during the rut and weighing ~160-170# is a great buck. Then there might be the pre-rut bucks that have fed on soybeans, clover &/or corn for awhile off the local farms that come in at the 200# mark. Isn't there dramatic differences in avg wgt between different age groupings? Also, like nyantler inferred, believe the wildlife biologist's rule of thumb is that a buck will lose ~20% of his weight during the rut.

I'm not saying there are "apples vs oranges" differences, but it is worth mentioning the qualifiers when the avg wgt statements or opinions only differ by some 30-40#. Or maybe I'm just trying to justify some of the scrawny, mature bucks I've taken! :rolleyes:

Age, nutrition and genetics all play a huge role in the overall size of the deer, aside from the time of year. Some deer will never hit the 200# mark even in high agricultural areas. Some deer hit it in the Adirondacks with no agriculture. All I know is I would trade a scrappy rack for a 220# deer anyday. (Side note: my cousin killed a 12 point a few years back in late November that hit the scale at 118 lbs)

Bowtech RPM360
60X Strings
QAD Drop away
Apex Covert Pro sight
Hot Shot 4 Finger releases
Ramcat Broadheads

11 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

This is great reading about & seeing all those big ole bucks (& does)! Kicks my anticipation and enthusiasm levels up a couple of notches!

Not to be a stick in the mud, but back to the OP's original question. Don't you think there are way too many qualifiers to make any generalized avg wgt of NYS buck statements or opinions??? Avg wgt of Adk, brush lot, suburban or bean/corn fed bucks of the same age class will differ. A brush lot buck taken during the rut and weighing ~160-170# is a great buck. Then there might be the pre-rut bucks that have fed on soybeans, clover &/or corn for awhile off the local farms that come in at the 200# mark. Isn't there dramatic differences in avg wgt between different age groupings? Also, like nyantler inferred, believe the wildlife biologist's rule of thumb is that a buck will lose ~20% of his weight during the rut.

I'm not saying there are "apples vs oranges" differences, but it is worth mentioning the qualifiers when the avg wgt statements or opinions only differ by some 30-40#. Or maybe I'm just trying to justify some of the scrawny, mature bucks I've taken! :rolleyes:

I agree.  all that factors in.... in the same area I've seen bucks the same verified age tip scales and weigh around 45 lbs different from one another dressed weight.  also draught, winter forage, and soil quality can be added to that.

16 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

What time of year did you kill him? He's a stud for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

November 9th, 2 days after I missed my Birthday buck.  Sometimes mistakes can be a good thing because the one I missed looked nothing like him!

• Like 1