Received my Ozonics yesterday....First impression

For those interested, I received my ozonics I ordered from Cabela's yesterday. Obviously I haven't used it yet but I did mess with it a little bit. My first impression is....for what they cost....there sure isn't much to this thing. There were at least 5 stickers on the package that said the manufacturer has discontinued the 100% satisfaction guarantee as of 12/31/15. That was kind of disheartening and I read all I could before ordering this thing and I didn't find anything on that.   I turned it on and you could instantly smell the ozone. Some people in the reviews thought the fan was loud. To me the fan seems silent but that is sitting in my living room, not out in the silent woods. I read the instruction book and there was absolutely nothing in it about being able to use it in the rain. So I called Ozonics. Got on the line with someone almost immediately after going through a menu and choosing customer support. YOU CAN'T USE IT IN THE RAIN!!. I was pretty disappointed with that. The person on the phone was pretty helpful though and gave me some good tips...Like if you feel it is too loud you can run it upside down and it will work fine. He reassured me (of course) that this was going to revolutionize my hunting experience. I am going to see what I think of this thing before I purchase an extra battery but if I like it an extra battery will be necessary and expensive. The battery, according to the instructions will only last for 4 hours and it takes 5 hours to charge so you can't charge it at lunch time. I will report my findings with how it performs in the woods as soon as I am out there.

Please keep us informed.  I'm interested in a home model more because I like the idea of descenting wool without washing them or waiting for decenting type sprays to dry (which to me seems to take forever).

Obviously you have a field model. Old timers used to put lanterns under blankets between their knees to keep warm, wounder if putting it under a small blanket to keep it dry would still allow the ozone to escape through and up to descent you.

13 minutes ago, growalot said:

I have to say...very soon after I started reading...I kept expecting : "So I returned it right away"

Nope, I am a sucker Grow and freely admit that...I am going to give it a whirl. Worst case, I wasted some money....best case "it revolutionizes my hunting experience" lol

• Like 3

Please keep us informed.  I'm interested in a home model more because I like the idea of descenting wool without washing them or waiting for decenting type sprays to dry (which to me seems to take forever).

Obviously you have a field model. Old timers used to put lanterns under blankets between their knees to keep warm, wounder if putting it under a small blanket to keep it dry would still allow the ozone to escape through and up to descent you.

Save a ton a buy a generic ozone machine on amazon. I basically made a closet out of plastic tarp rolls and have my gear in there. Machine has a timer nob and I run it before I plan to hunt. IIRC it was around 50$.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

why would any one pay for something like the ozonics or for that matter a lot of sprays and soaps to mask scent.   or scent lok clothing . to me its B.S.   all of these things are aimed at the duping the deer hunting into spending money on them. where that money could be spent on equipment and other hunting related items. 

• Like 1

I do get lured in occasionally but agree that it's mostly marketing.  I recently watch myth busters, it was a scent control show.  They tried to hide a human from a bloodhounds nose.  Not only did not work, it had negligible effect.  The dog located the human immediately.  And....correct me if I'm wrong, Deers nose is more acute than any dog.  I vote for gimmicks.  

21 minutes ago, jonathon88 said:

why would any one pay for something like the ozonics or for that matter a lot of sprays and soaps to mask scent.   or scent lok clothing . to me its B.S.   all of these things are aimed at the duping the deer hunting into spending money on them. where that money could be spent on equipment and other hunting related items. 

Great, now you're probably going to tell me there's no such thing as the Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy.

I ain't buying it......................

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jonathon88 said:

Well, to answer your question....I buy the sprays and soaps etc to mask scent because they are cheap and maybe they do something. I guess I figure ....what can it hurt.

As far as the Ozonics....I have read a lot about it since it came out. I wasn't going to spend $400 on it even if it meant a deer would never smell me again but I was intrigued so I researched it. I have read everything I could find out about it for at least 3 years now. Reviews, articles etc. The overwhelming majority of the people that use it believe that it works. Tests have proven at the very least it reduces scent. When Cabela's had it onsale for $299, I figured I had a $20 dollar coupon and a $100 Gift card that I didn't really know what to use it for since I have already purchased every other gimmick so I figured now or never. If I feel it is BS like most of the crap I buy I will be the first to admit I wasted my money...If I feel it works....all the better....

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Well, to answer your question....I buy the sprays and soaps etc to mask scent because they are cheap and maybe they do something. I guess I figure ....what can it hurt.

As far as the Ozonics....I have read a lot about it since it came out. I wasn't going to spend $400 on it even if it meant a deer would never smell me again but I was intrigued so I researched it. I have read everything I could find out about it for at least 3 years now. Reviews, articles etc. The overwhelming majority of the people that use it believe that it works. Tests have proven at the very least it reduces scent. When Cabela's had it onsale for $299, I figured I had a $20 dollar coupon and a $100 Gift card that I didn't really know what to use it for since I have already purchased every other gimmick so I figured now or never. If I feel it is BS like most of the crap I buy I will be the first to admit I wasted my money...If I feel it works....all the better....

As everyone here knows, I'm kinda old school. That being said, I also, am a firm believer in never criticizing another hunter, because they do something different than I do! And it's always best to keep an open mind. Hey, I just may learn something new! I've mentored a few new hunters and I'm mentoring one now. And I tell them all, the best trick I can teach you is for "YOU" to become a better woodsman. That will do more for your hunting then anything you could buy in a store. And it doesn't cost money! Just time and dedication, to be better.

To the OP I say, cool! It is something that interests you and It's your money, so give it a shot and let us know how ya make out! Then, I will learn something from you, one way or the other.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, grampy said:

As everyone here knows, I'm kinda old school. That being said, I also, am a firm believer in never criticizing another hunter, because they do something different than I do! And it's always best to keep an open mind. Hey, I just may learn something new! I've mentored a few new hunters and I'm mentoring one now. And I tell them all, the best trick I can teach you is for "YOU" to become a better woodsman. That will do more for your hunting then anything you could buy in a store. And it doesn't cost money! Just time and dedication, to be better.

To the OP I say, cool! It is something that interests you and It's your money, so give it a shot and let us know how ya make out! Then, I will learn something from you, one way or the other.

Grampy....I would love to buy you a beer someday!!! I am sure I could learn a lot from you and you seem like a great guy. I am not that far away...I live in Saratoga....

• Like 1

On 9/22/2016 at 11:13 AM, Jaeger said:

My semi-unscientific impression about all of this is that after manufacturing basically everything off-gasses. It's why the tire aisle in walmart smells so good. But, if you take one of those brand new tires and stick it in a garage, after a while it no longer has any smell at all. So, you have to wait until something is finished off-gassing and there is no way to speed that up.

Personally I got a tip from a guy I like. It's free, and makes sense: I wash my clothes in odorless detergent and then leave them outside under my porch for a while. All my clothes are old enough that they are no longer off-gassing the manufacturing smell, but they likely pick up smells from my house. Outside, those smells will eventually waft away and the material will adopt whatever odor is outdoors.

4 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Grampy....I would love to buy you a beer someday!!! I am sure I could learn a lot from you and you seem like a great guy. I am not that far away...I live in Saratoga....

I do like beer and Saratoga is just 45 min. up the Northway!