Bone Yard and Gut Pile Thread 2016

Curmudgeon

Coyotes and fox always seem to skirt my carcasses just at the edge of the flash range no matter what cams I've used.(todays example below)

Seeing it happen again with a new set up here and can't seem to get one to commit to the pile. Had the same thing happen last year, and when I pulled the cam the carcass got polished off.

Little do they know that there is another cam about 6' up looking over the pile this time.

The plan..., now that this one has there attention, is to pull this ground level cam and leave the other cam mounted high to see if they feel comfortable enough to feast when the WGI suddenly disappears.

Anyhow, the highlight of todays pull was my first EVER fisher!

Never seen one here. Never seen any tracks from one. Never got any trail cam pics of one.

Looks like a fatty to me. Hoping to lure him back for some better quality pics. Blondie also brought her girlfriend back for a snack,lol. Glad I tied everything down.

WGI_0001_01.JPGWGI_0006_01.JPGWGI_0008_01.JPGWGI_0034_01.JPG

• Like 2

The coyotes in my area seem to be pretty tolerant of the cameras, I try to set them higher than normal on bait and it helps some. Here's a few pics from the last card pull. This is just one night's worth of pictures. Notice the size differences in a couple of the yotes.

PICT0048.JPG

PICT0052.JPG

PICT0054.JPG

PICT0056.JPG

PICT0057.JPG

PICT0063.JPG

PICT0067.JPG

PICT0068.JPG

PICT0080.JPG

• Like 3

Wooly.  Try some fox lure or coyote lure as a thought. Maybe some coyote or fox urine. Maybe able to steer them in to exactly where ya want them   

Ill never forget in 7th grade a trapping buddy of mine dumped a bottle of Hawbakers long distance call fox lure in the radiator of homeroom.  

Should have some coyote pics coming soon as haven't checked cams since last day of ml season. 

• Like 1

I was going to start a new thread for my eagle research but it is really just a continuation of this one. So, unless there is some compelling reason to start a new thread, I am going to use this one.

We started putting out bait on 12/22. Golden eagles - target species - have been scarce. I actually had 2 follow the ridge near my site last weekend, freaking out the ravens, but they did not feed. The baited site is on top of the hill so I don't actually know what the eagles did. They may have perched for a while and then moved on. Who knows?

We have been getting lots of bald eagles, hawks and ravens. Some sites are getting foxes and coyotes.

For anyone new to the forum, I have a license to collect and possess road-killed deer for the sites operated in Delaware and Otsego County. Each deer is checked for bullet holes to prevent lead poisoning. Here are some shots.

First bird on bait in Delaware County - golden eagle on a Holstein.First Golden.jpg

Bald eagles with common ravens

Burl2 223.JPGBurl8 478.JPGMFDC0768.JPG

Red-tailed hawk with leg band

MFDC1722.JPG

Rough-legged hawk

MFDC1507.JPG

Canids

MFDC2347.JPGBurl2 052.JPG

• Like 4

I got ahold of a road killed deer (yes, I got a tag for it) this past week and added it to what little bit of a bait pile I had left out back. My daughter and I got some trail cams for christmas, so I set those up nearby on photo mode as well as one of my black flash Coverts right near the deer on video mode. Im hoping to start getting some good pics/videos soon.

• Like 2

I followed this thread last year and thought it was great  so I planned to be a poster in this years when I put my camera on some carcasses around November 27th and then topped it off a few times after that throughout the season. I just pulled the camera today and I had almost 1400 pics. Mostly Crows, one Hawk, a few deer, a woodpecker, a fox, and a dog but  some are pretty cool pics. I also realized I could have had many better shots of the Fox that hit it 6 different times but my camera was too high on the tree and not facing down enough. This is the first time Ive done this so live and learn. Next time I will have it lower for sure. Enjoy the pics.

Best Soaring.JPG

Fox 1.JPG

Hawk 1.JPG

Hawk 2.JPG

Up N DOwn.JPG

Up CLose.JPG

Wing Span.JPG

Outbound.JPG

Dog.JPG

Takeoff.JPG

Fox 3.JPG

1336.JPG

• Like 5

On 1/6/2017 at 7:45 AM, Curmudgeon said:

I was going to start a new thread for my eagle research but it is really just a continuation of this one. So, unless there is some compelling reason to start a new thread, I am going to use this one.

We started putting out bait on 12/22. Golden eagles - target species - have been scarce. I actually had 2 follow the ridge near my site last weekend, freaking out the ravens, but they did not feed. The baited site is on top of the hill so I don't actually know what the eagles did. They may have perched for a while and then moved on. Who knows?

We have been getting lots of bald eagles, hawks and ravens. Some sites are getting foxes and coyotes.

For anyone new to the forum, I have a license to collect and possess road-killed deer for the sites operated in Delaware and Otsego County. Each deer is checked for bullet holes to prevent lead poisoning. Here are some shots.

First bird on bait in Delaware County - golden eagle on a Holstein.First Golden.jpg

Bald eagles with common ravens

Burl2 223.JPGBurl8 478.JPGMFDC0768.JPG

Red-tailed hawk with leg band

MFDC1722.JPG

Rough-legged hawk

MFDC1507.JPG

Canids

MFDC2347.JPGBurl2 052.JPG

I would guess thats from untested whitetails?  Funny how the state wants to shut down about Urine sales and other related stuff but let these vectors spread in for miles and miles if dining on positive deer?  Go Figure?

11 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

I would guess thats from untested whitetails?  Funny how the state wants to shut down about Urine sales and other related stuff but let these vectors spread in for miles and miles if dining on positive deer?  Go Figure?

For those who are new to this topic, FSW is a deer farmer who objects to some of the rules about CWD the state has imposed on that industry. New regs are being considered.

DOT crews are directed to bring me road-killed deer ONLY IF I am closer than the site where they normally dump them. In other words, the deer are moved less if brought to me than they would be otherwise. If DOT was not removing the deer from roadsides, they would be consumed by scavengers anyway, and those scavengers would be at risk of injury. One of our GPS tracked golden eagles likes to feed on carcasses alongside major highways. I worry about her. It is better the carcasses are removed.

On 1/8/2017 at 10:35 AM, Curmudgeon said:

For those who are new to this topic, FSW is a deer farmer who objects to some of the rules about CWD the state has imposed on that industry. New regs are being considered.

DOT crews are directed to bring me road-killed deer ONLY IF I am closer than the site where they normally dump them. In other words, the deer are moved less if brought to me than they would be otherwise. If DOT was not removing the deer from roadsides, they would be consumed by scavengers anyway, and those scavengers would be at risk of injury. One of our GPS tracked golden eagles likes to feed on carcasses alongside major highways. I worry about her. It is better the carcasses are removed.

LOL....So regardless of what i do you could give to ***** that you very well could be helping spread the disease that they say very well could wipe out the whitetail deer so you can feed the vermin? Its not hurting deer farms as much as deer hunters as a whole. Maybe you should step up and refuse to take their untested deer?? 

Guess we all know that answer huh?? 

Edited by WNYBuckHunter
inappropriate language, plese see the forum TOS

Thanks Wooly. You inspired me to spend some photos.

Here are some recent shots. Most are of eagles, some with ravens mixed in. The regal looking Golden Eagle is from Orange County. The really wet eagles were here yesterday. I love the coyote shot.

My camera is having trouble focusing - see the eagle and raven in flight photo. I'm going to swap it with my Browning later today. The Browning has been monitoring a fence line since some free ranging dogs chased the sheep. I'm going to put the poorly focusing Moultrie there. As long as I can ID the dogs for law enforcement purposes, it will serve.

Golden Eagle, Delaware County

EK000173.jpeg

Golden Eagle, Orange County

IMG_0026.jpg

Very light, older juvenile Bald Eagle and Common Ravens

Burl20 293.JPG

Bald Eagle and ravens

Burl20 129.JPG

Wet eagles

Burl20 041.JPG

A charismatic "singing dog" in Orange County
Eastern Coyote.JPG

• Like 3

You guys noticing all the skunk and raccoon out and about  this time of year...holy cow the skunk have torn up my food plots grubbing. They are better than insecticide,considering we have a neighbor with 8 hives pollinating our property now. I have the coons on the cams moving about...all this warm weather...

Heres a couple of videos from a few days after I added the deer to may bait pile, which is off to the right of the camera. A mangy fox and a pretty good looking yote. Ive been hearing the coyotes out there every few nights since I checked the cam. Sounded like some fighting and whatnot going on, hopefully I have some good footage to share soon!

th_IMAG0144_zpsj2dvhrva.mp4

th_IMAG0450_zpsb7fibf2y.mp4

• Like 1

The reason I have photos from others cameras is that I run the Appalachian Eagles Project research for the whole state. There are currently research sites from Cattaraugus to Columbia and Essex to Orange Counties. I get photos from a number of people and places, even though over 8 years more than half the sites have been in 4 contiguous counties: Madison; Chenango; Otsego; and, Delaware.

http://www.appalachianeagles.org/