Winchester or Remington

I want to get my first wood and blue steel rifle. I love synthetics but I want something old school and classic looking. A rifle that is a thing of beauty. So I'm thinking either a Ruger Hawkeye Standard in 270, Winchester Featherweight in 270 or a Remington 700 BDL in 270. Which would you get? If you have any others, feel free to suggest.

*since it's not a hunting post I didn't put it in rifle hunting. Feel free to move if needed.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Borngeechee said:

I want to get my first wood and blue steel rifle. I love synthetics but I want something old school and classic looking. A rifle that is a thing of beauty. So I'm thinking either a Ruger Hawkeye Standard in 270, Winchester Featherweight in 270 or a Remington 700 BDL in 270. Which would you get? If you have any others, feel free to suggest.

*since it's not a hunting post I didn't put it in rifle hunting. Feel free to move if needed.

MARK V  LAZERMARK 

Beautiful wood on those 

I would not recommend a new Remington to anyone so for me Remington is out. I have never owned a Winchester model 70 but have shot a bunch and they all shot and handled well but all were older. Rugers are awesome but I hate their new safeties.

In that price range I would recommend a tikka t3 hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I would not recommend a new Remington to anyone so for me Remington is out. I have never owned a Winchester model 70 but have shot a bunch and they all shot and handled well but all were older. Rugers are awesome but I hate their new safeties.

In that price range I would recommend a tikka t3 hunter.

Yea he is right for the price the Tikka is a great gun 

6 minutes ago, Borngeechee said:

Yeah those are sexy, I'm trying to stay around 1k or less including the scope though.

Then Go with Tikka I agree with Buckmaster on that one you cant  beat them for the price

Edited by LJC

i would go with remington 700 bdl in 270 .  I am currently looking for an old one that i can buy used for my son.  How long ago did remingtons go the sh*t?

Hard to pinpoint it because different models changed lines at different times "at least that's how I had it explained to me from a former employee." But I would stay with anything prior to 2000 is safe.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, f3cbboy said:

i would go with remington 700 bdl in 270 .  I am currently looking for an old one that i can buy used for my son.  How long ago did remingtons go the sh*t?

I have a rem 700  great gun but it's from the early 90s 95 I think can't speak for there new stuff but I here they went to crap the last 5 years 10 years 

• Like 1

Any one of the three choices you listed would make you a fine hunting rifle, their performance on average would be pretty much equal across the board. So what it will boil down to is which one looks and feels the best to you. Visit a well stocked sporting goods store and have a salesperson show you each model and take a good look at each, handle and shoulder them and take the one you fall in love with.

Al

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You can get a tikka t3 hunter and a vx3 2-7 to go on it and be under 1k and have an extremely capable rifle.

That's the rifle I ended up getting a couple of years ago in .308 cal. Real tac shooter

Here is my $.02. Tikka / Sako generally are shooters, but Beretta CS sucks! Kimbers are hit or miss... often reffered to as the Kimber roulette. Remy's are not the guns they used to be... my last one sucked big time. Weatherby's are nice, their CS is good but their prices are high. I generally like Ruger's and their CS is top notch. Winchester's are generally nice, and I have had zero issues with mine. Savage are shooters but fugly. Vanguard / Howa are shooters but rather blocky and heavy. Mossberg's are ok ... nothing to write home about. Browning's are nice quality and most shoot fine. It's their egos and designs that bug me. I listed these because I have (or have had) them all. The bottom line is choose whatever fits you and your wallet. 

• Like 3

Here is my $.02. Tikka / Sako generally are shooters, but Beretta CS sucks! Kimbers are hit or miss... often reffered to as the Kimber roulette. Remy's are not the guns they used to be... my last one sucked big time. Weatherby's are nice, their CS is good but their prices are high. I generally like Ruger's and their CS is top notch. Winchester's are generally nice, and I have had zero issues with mine. Savage are shooters but fugly. Vanguard / Howa are shooters but rather blocky and heavy. Mossberg's are ok ... nothing to write home about. Browning's are nice quality and most shoot fine. It's their egos and designs that bug me. I listed these because I have (or have had) them all. The bottom line is choose whatever fits you and your wallet. 

After going through the all the ones you guys mentioned I'm looking at the Ruger and the Tikka as the final two. If my wife catches me I might end up with the Mossberg lol

• Like 2

Noting like wood and blued barrels.  I'd go the BDL just because they shoot lights out.  I just got one in 7 Mag and its amazing.  The old 70 Featherweight is hardly a featherweight compared to new guns that are lighter like the X-Bolts.  But I'd take that over the Hawkeye regardless.  The Hawkeye is a tank, but I don't like the matte barrel.  The luster on the 700 BDL is perfect, the walnut has classic lines to it.  You won't be disappointed.  

IMO the M700 BDL is still stuck in the '70s with the overall lines, glossy finish and sights.

High end guns are almost always matte finished wood & rust blued steel that has a satiny sheen. High gloss is not a good finish on a hunting rifle.

I would go for the M700 CDL. The Winchester M70 Super Grade is nicer yet. It has better wood, controlled round feed bolt, satin finish and NO SIGHTS!

I think the M70s are now made by FN & I would expect the QC to be far better than Remington.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1