AR-15

SuperMag

For those who have gone the fixed mag route, how have you gone about it?  I just clicked the DD's Ranch link above and saw they sell a replacement mag release lock and an extended rear takedown pin.  Is that (potentially speaking, not asking for anyone to render a legal opinion) all I would need to modify a new lower to make it "Compliant"?
Sure would be nice to use an AR style rifle for predator hunting at night instead of a bolt gun.  However, I have no desire to share a cramped one bedroom studio with a roommate named Bubba for the next 5 years.

I fixed my mag with a locking style mag button so it can't come out and I have the extended rear take down pin. I have yet to shoot it but I don't think I'll have any problems with it. I actually like it a lot. I won't be using it for home defense so that's not really a big concern for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/25/2016 at 5:05 PM, ....rob said:

OK. Back on rifles.

What's point of not having a detachable magazine? I would rather have my spur grip just in case I have to use it as a self defense weapon then have to do a break to reload. Lets be honest here, we buy these style of rifles because they are tough, accurate, can't call them light if you add every accessory available, and if the need arises to use as self defense. If all you want is a pure hunting rifle, you can save a lot of money with a bolt action.  

The mag is still detachable with a Mag lock, you just have to break open the upper. It also makes it so that you can put any accessories you want on the rifle. Ive handled and fired many of them with a crap load of accessories and they are very light if you use the right parts.

On 11/25/2016 at 8:57 PM, The Jerkman said:

Oh no, I was referencing the bolt actions as being more accurate and honestly likely more durable and reliable

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You would be wrong. Many AR platform rifles will shoot right along with any bolt action out there. Ive seen them, shot them, etc. Not just going off of whats posted in internet forums etc. It all depends on how you build them.

On 11/26/2016 at 5:31 AM, Core said:

This is not a definition in NY SAFE, though. The law has not specified exactly the standard to which a magazine must meet to be considered fixed or detachable. I can't find the video now but I've seen one of people changing mags very quickly with these things. Moreover, once the upper is lifted and the mag dropped, the upper can then be pinned back into place, and at this point the rifle can accept the magazine. NY SAFE does address "accepts a detachable mag", which in the previous step we've shown is detachable (albeit with upper raised). It's just a gray area I wouldn't want to try and defend without precedent saying it can be defended. 

Its not a gray area, the definition is referenced in other areas of NY state law.

Section 265.00 subdivision 24.25,26 to read as follows

24. "DETACHABLE MAGAZINE" means any ammunition feeding device, the function of which is to deliver one or more ammunition cartridges into the firing chamber, which can be removed from the firearm without the use of any tool, including a bullet or ammunition cartridge.

49 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

The mag is still detachable with a Mag lock, you just have to break open the upper. It also makes it so that you can put any accessories you want on the rifle. Ive handled many of them with a crap load of accessories and they are very light if you use the right parts.

You still can't have a front grip that extends past the mag well though, also can't have flash hider or any functioning muzzle accessory.

Edited by chas0218

39 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Its not a gray area, the definition is referenced in other areas of NY state law.

24. "DETACHABLE MAGAZINE" means any ammunition feeding device, the function of which is to deliver one or more ammunition cartridges into the firing chamber, which can be removed from the firearm without the use of any tool, including a bullet or ammunition cartridge.

Is that from current 265.00? A couple of links I find either don't show a section 24 or one of them, like here http://codes.findlaw.com/ny/penal-law/pen-sect-265-00.html says subsection 24 deals with the definition of a "seller of ammunition".

This thread even gets at that: http://nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics-firearms-self-defense-weapons/42273-did-they-define-detachable-magazine-post358815.html#post358815 and gets onto what the 24 above actually is--an amendment: https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2013/S1422

But it doesn't appear it was actually signed into law if this link is up to date, which would mean there is still no legal definition of it.

If it's not law I suppose it would still hint at the thinking of the almighty legislature and perhaps would hold sway in court (I have no idea, though).

50 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

By definition it needs to be attached to the gun as one. The problem though once the gun is broken into 2 pieces it is no longer considered an "assault weapon" and can have the detachable magazine. So the mag lock will in fact work, once the gun is reassembled there is no way of getting the magazine out without then breaking the gun into 2 pieces again.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

You still can't have a front grip that extends past the mag well though, also can't have flash hider or any functioning muzzle accessory.

Sure can, as the rifle no longer has a detachable mag, and does not qualify as an assault rifle. You dont have to register it in any way.

• Like 2

Been lots of boating accidents ....

for those that are going to post photos of your guns per. Rob's request , don't forget to include your address too !

It would save me time from going through all your old posts to figure it out , Thanks !

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 4