Will you be hunting opening day on public land or private and what gun will you be using

10point

On 11/15/2016 at 8:26 AM, ApexerER said:

Your hunting deer with a .223? How does that work out? Have you gotten a deer with it yet?

Haven't shot at one yet! These rounds are specifically made for mid-size game, with a nice mushroom and not frangible like varmint or over-penetrating like FMJ. Not concerned about stopping power whatsoever.

23 minutes ago, Core said:

Haven't shot at one yet! These rounds are specifically made for mid-size game, with a nice mushroom and not frangible like varmint or over-penetrating like FMJ. Not concerned about stopping power whatsoever.

Interesting...always thought that was to small of a round. I hope you get one so I can hear how it works out

3 hours ago, Core said:

I think if i was going to use a .223 round i would go for a neck shot just to be on a the safe side .  

3 hours ago, Core said:

I think if i was going to use a .223 round i would go for a neck shot just to be on a the safe side .  

17 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Makes 2 of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would be the smallest caliber you would personal use for deer ?   I only  have used  traditional  deer calibars like 30-06 or similar powered calibars .

Dont see why anyone would use anything else unless they only had one gun and did not want to buy a gun specifically for hunting purposes.

What would be the smallest caliber you would personal use for deer ?   I only  have used  traditional  deer calibars like 30-06 or similar powered calibars .
Dont see why anyone would use anything else unless they only had one gun and did not want to buy a gun specifically for hunting purposes.

Some people are recoil sensitive and need a round with less recoil. If your scared of the recoil, you might make a bad shot.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Some people are recoil sensitive and need a round with less recoil. If your scared of the recoil, you might make a bad shot.

Yep. I am not particularly recoil sensitive but if you want a pleasant rifle to shoot try .223 from a 10 lb AR :)

• Like 2

I have literally killed truck loads of deer with 223. With the proper bullet a 30-06 or a 338win mag will not kill a deer any deader than a 223 will within normal hunting ranges with the same shot placement.

A 223 has more than double the energy that my 10mm has at the muzzle and I have used my 10mm almost exclusively for deer for the past 2 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I have literally killed truck loads of deer with 223. With the proper bullet a 30-06 or a 338win mag will not kill a deer any deader than a 223 will within normal hunting ranges with the same shot placement.

A 223 has more than double the energy that my 10mm has at the muzzle and I have used my 10mm almost exclusively for deer for the past 2 years.

Ok just asking never used it . Still rather go bigger just in case you make that not so perfect  of a shot  the exstra power of something like a 30-06 comes in handy:taunt: .

In some states its actually illegal to use the 223 for deer . 

Edited by 10point

1 hour ago, Core said:

Yep. I am not particularly recoil sensitive but if you want a pleasant rifle to shoot try .223 from a 10 lb AR :)

not that I'd like to carry either but I know what you mean kinda.... I've got a 223 chambered savage model 110 with a heavy barrel and big scope.  altogether it's pushing 14 lbs.  I can talk on the phone and shoot it off the bipod with one hand and still spot my shots.

Public with most likely the 30-30 in my lap and sitting next to me my 14yo son with his 20 gauge. Which gun we use will be up to the moment, distance and opportunity. My BIL will be with his son and my brother so we will have 5 of us. My private spots don't have room for us all and hopefully will produce later if needed.

Public land with either my 12ga 870 with rifled barrel and scope or my 6" 629.

If I sit in the thick stuff I'll use the 44 since the shots will be under 10 yards.

I can't sit all day due to family obligations in the afternoon but I'm pumped either way.

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

not that I'd like to carry either but I know what you mean kinda.... I've got a 223 chambered savage model 110 with a heavy barrel and big scope.  altogether it's pushing 14 lbs.  I can talk on the phone and shoot it off the bipod with one hand and still spot my shots.

Exactly! I shot a guy's 270 today at the range and was like wait, i can't see my shot afterward? With that 10 lber at 100 yards and 9X I can see the target the entire time, pretty sure. But then I put five slugs through a 12 gauge just to prove I'm still a man, and I get a face full of stock after each shot.

Edited by Core
  • Like 2

I will be on private land, and for a rifle I will be using my Kimber 84M Montana in .308 . If I get a deer opening day that gun will go back in the safe, and I will take my Savage Bear Hunter in 300 Win mag. And if luck should shine on me the second day, that gun will get put away, and out will come my Winchester M70 270 WSM ...I own 11 rifles, so I try and keep a rotation with all of them, it also keeps me busy during the off season trying to come up with a new load for the guns I plan on using the following season.

• Like 1