My Prickly Little friend

Pygmy

This morning, due to the windy, snowy, weather, I decided to hunt an elevated, enclosed blind on the property..

I climbed up to the blind and opened the door, and there was a porcupine sitting on my chair, looking at me..

I  pushed him off the chair with the muzzle of my rifle ( unloaded, of course) and he went around the back of the chair..I needed to get him out of the blind, so I crowded him and pushed him with the toe of my boot and my rifle butt, and finally persuaded him to leave the blind via the door...There was fresh snow and I planned to wait until after my hunt , track him up and shoot him....

I hunted the blind for a few hours and saw nothing....When I left the blind, the new and blowing snow had covered his tracks so I could not track him up and shoot his sorry ass..

It was then that I discovered about 30 quills stuck on the toe of my Muck boots...I also had a whole bunch of quills stuck in the rubber recoil pad of my rifle and the elastic cartridge holder on the butt stock...

I'm looking forward to my next meeting with the little prick ( pun fully intended)...

• Like 14

I'm still finding quills here and there in my clothes...Next Time I go up there I'll carry a .22 handgun, and if he's in the blind  again, he's  history..

I couldn't quite see blasting him the blind with the deer rifle and then having to sit there in the mess..

Sitting with a few "porcupine pellets"  isn't to bad, because they are dry and hard and don't seem to smell too bad....<<smile>>...

Yeah, it probably would have been pretty funny if somebody took a video of me and the porky swordfighting in the blind...

The scary part..I did not REALIZE that I had about 50 quills on the butt of my rifle until I left the blind..

If a deer had come by and I had mounted the rifle to shoot, I would have had a painful surprise...I might not have killed the deer, either...<<grin>>...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pygmy said:

This morning, due to the windy, snowy, weather, I decided to hunt an elevated, enclosed blind on the property..

I climbed up to the blind and opened the door, and there was a porcupine sitting on my chair, looking at me..

I  pushed him off the chair with the muzzle of my rifle ( unloaded, of course) and he went around the back of the chair..I needed to get him out of the blind, so I crowded him and pushed him with the toe of my boot and my rifle butt, and finally persuaded him to leave the blind via the door...There was fresh snow and I planned to wait until after my hunt , track him up and shoot him....

I hunted the blind for a few hours and saw nothing....When I left the blind, the new and blowing snow had covered his tracks so I could not track him up and shoot his sorry ass..

It was then that I discovered about 30 quills stuck on the toe of my Muck boots...I also had a whole bunch of quills stuck in the rubber recoil pad of my rifle and the elastic cartridge holder on the butt stock...

I'm looking forward to my next meeting with the little prick ( pun fully intended)...

You should have gotten a picture of that would have loved to have seen that.

8 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Zuke...They may very well be good eating, but I'll bet they are a PAIN to skin....<<grin>>...

I have eaten beaver, coon, and woodchuck and enjoyed all three.

You skin a porky for me and I'll cook it and we can both give it a try !

Fishers and mountain lions are supposedly the only 2 critters that'll routinely kill and eat quill pigs. 

When you opened the blind door : without getting banned for expletives what did you mutter ? Out loud mutter ? 

• Like 2

TF....I called him a socktucker....or a corksocker...  or SOMETHING like that..

It didn't faze the little trespasser...He just sat there in my chair like a basketball-sized pincushion and stared at me with his beady little eyes....

• Like 1

I had one routinely walk right by my ground blind while predator hunting.  He'd go up the same nearby pine tree every night and then shuffle back down and waddle away.   Cute little suckers when they're talking/squeaking away, but just in case I had my barrel aimed at him the whole time.  lol

There are fishers around so it will be inters