Hunter shot

Paula

39 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

What law would they change and why?

Im just surprised that during gun deer season they dont make a law saying you cant go in the woods until its sunrise .

I see guys 4 am already in the woods even before  4 am opening day especially . Thats how accidents happen its dark guys are tired half asleep . By the time the sun comes up there seeing hallucinations .it happens .

Edited by Deerstalker

12 minutes ago, Deerstalker said:

Im just surprised that during gun deer season they dont make a law saying you cant go in the woods until its sunrise .

I see guys 4 am already in the woods even before  4 am opening day especially . Thats how accidents happen its dark guys are tired half asleep . By the time the sun comes up there seeing hallucinations .it happens .

My feeling is that there would be even more accidents. If all hunters were moving at the same time in the woods.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Deerstalker said:

I've hunted areas where it is an hour to two hour walk in to get to where we were hunting. Your idea makes no sense and like the gun laws would do NOTHING to stop these stupidity events from happening. I don't want to use the word "accident" becasue unless the gun malfunctions....nah never mind. even then if you are following the gun safety rules even a gun malfunction would hurt no one. I'll stick with "stupidity events". 

How do you know these guys are in the woods before 4am? I have been in the woods during hunting season  for 43 seasons. Been in my hunting spot about 1/2 hour to an hour before sunrise. Never been shot at, shot and haven't shot anyone. Guess i am just the lucky few. Where do you hunt?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, grampy said:

My feeling is that there would be even more accidents. If all hunters were moving at the same time in the woods.

Im just saying i know alot of guys to beat out other hunters to a spot on public land will get up at 2am even  before that to be in the woods way before  first light by the  time  first light comes up  alot you  know there seeing double . Thats when accidents happen .

7 minutes ago, Deerstalker said:

Im just saying i know alot of guys to beat out other hunters to a spot on public land will get up at 2am even  before that to be in the woods way before  first light by the  time  first light comes up  alot you  know there seeing double . Thats when accidents happen .

Gotta be a New York City thing

15 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I've hunted areas where it is an hour to two hour walk in to get to where we were hunting. Your idea makes no sense and like the gun laws would do NOTHING to stop these stupidity events from happening. I don't want to use the word "accident" becasue unless the gun malfunctions....nah never mind. even then if you are following the gun safety rules even a gun malfunction would hurt no one. I'll stick with "stupidity events". 

How do you know these guys are in the woods before 4am? I have been in the woods during hunting season  for 43 seasons. Been in my hunting spot about 1/2 hour to an hour before sunrise. Never been shot at, shot and haven't shot anyone. Guess i am just the lucky few. Where do you hunt?

I hunt from  castkills, putnam, 3j 3n  you see it all the time not so much farther north 

7 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

they do the same thing to get tee times for golf at some places down there. 

I have alot of relitives  that live  in nyc and long island anytime they  ask me to go with them its ok we will be by at 1am in the morning lol im like why so early there like got to get the spot before anyone else . Im like   you guys are crazy we wynd up getting there at like 3:00 o'clock in the morning .

So alot of times im like i will meet you guys there lol have fun sleeping in the woods till  sunrise .lol 

Yet, all 3 hunting related deaths this year so far has all occurred in the Northern Zone with Sandy Creek (where the son thought his father was a deer) being the closest to NYC at 291 miles.

Being tired in the woods has nothing to do with the law.  Laws don't prevent stupid.

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Yet, all 3 hunting related deaths this year so far has all occurred in the Northern Zone with Sandy Creek (where the son thought his father was a deer) being the closest to NYC at 291 miles.

Being tired in the woods has nothing to do with the law.  Laws don't prevent stupid.

Yea true i think people are more carful when they expect lots of hunters are around maybe . Seems like where the 3 happend are in areas where there is lots of free space you would think . 

14 minutes ago, Elmo said:

I think the Sandy Creek was the only one in the NZ. The others are SZ I believe. 

2 hours ago, Deerstalker said:

Say what you will, but Culver hit the nail on the head. If these people were following proper gun safety, the "accidents" wouldnt have happened. It also wouldnt matter what time someone went into the woods or got into their stand.

You are trying to solve a safety issue with a completely unrelated law. It makes no sense. To boot, its a free country, I can wander around my land or any other land I have permission to be on, at any time of the day I want to.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, growalot said:

I googled because the friends, he was editor of this paper...and sure enough the article was on line...:

http://geneseesun.com/female-hunter-killed-in-caledonia-shooting/

PS..Always check safety and always muzzle up high or at the ground...best high towards sky.

Thanks for the article that clarifies how the woman was shot . An assumption would have been by another hunter shooting at a deer and this wasn't the case . A person in the hunting party didn't have his safety on according to the article .

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Say what you will, but Culver hit the nail on the head. If these people were following proper gun safety, the "accidents" wouldnt have happened. It also wouldnt matter what time someone went into the woods or got into their stand.

You are trying to solve a safety issue with a completely unrelated law. It makes no sense. To boot, its a free country, I can wander around my land or any other land I have permission to be on, at any time of the day I want to.

True how would you inforce it anyway maybe on public land you could but not private and I think most of these shootings are happening on private land anyway go figure . But not going in the woods at dark would probably help  prevent people from getting injured by slipping and falling  in the dark . Bet there is alot of that happening that does not get reported unless its  a fatality . Something hunters should think about anyway when going in before light . When you dont have to .

Probably spook more deer  going in when its still dark  then helping yourself . Whos to say a hunter if he only waited till first light and walked in slowly would not have more chances at shooting deer then . Crashing in at 4 or 5 am with a flashlight . And then waiting for a deer to come by at sunrise .  There is a good Possibility you just spoke them all away on the way in.