New Bow for first ever Elk Trip!!

StevieSacs

I just put a deposit down for my first ever guided hunt and first ever Elk trip!  Going to be hunting Idaho opening weekend for 6 days and legitimately couldn't be more excited.

2015 / 2016 I've worked my butt off and decided to treat myself with this trip and a new bow.  I have been a Hoyt guy for the last few years but after holding the new Mathews Halon 32, I legit fell in love and made the switch. 

Gonna be shooting FMJ's with Grizzly Stik Massai 125g single bevel broad heads.  Got a Hogg father single pin sight and the new Axion 2 in 1 stabilizer.  The bow feels so good and I feel much more balanced while full draw.  I legit couldn't be more excited.   

Now I just need to make sure i'm in the best shape possible and am shooting dimes at 60 yards for my trip! 

New bow - 2.png

New Bow#1.png

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, grampy said:

Nice bow! I'm tempted to go "look" at one. My Mathews MQ-32 is 17 years old now. Is that the 5, 6, or 7 inch brace bow? Wishing you a fun and successful hunt! Look forward to hearing all about it!

Thanks!  Its the 6" brace.  I honestly can't wait to go.  Just have to practice as much as I can and hope for the best.  Regardless of the outcome, will certainly be an incredible experience!

• Like 1

Nice ... Yeah it's tough country out there, hunted it a few times. Best advice to give besides hitting the stair masters or getting your cardio on..... DO IT IN YOUR HUNTING BOOTS.

Seen one to many duct-taped blistered feet on trips out there. Make sure your boots and feet are one. I'm sure you're outfitter and others will tell you, don't be the guy that didn't listen :-)

Envious - Been entering the draw for an Elk tag for a specific unit out there for 5 years... Still waiting

• Like 2

never hunted elk but know avid elk hunters.  from what they told me andre has it nailed.  boots are everything.  bring multiple pair that you're happy with while putting on miles.  in case something happens to one of them.  also good binos and a range finder.  your guide should have the spotting scope.  be prepared but an elk is a big target compared to a deer.  i'd practice with your quiver on and leave it on.  I use a TightSpot quiver that fits tight against the bow versus hanging out there.  Best of luck whatever unit you're in!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a new Mathews NoCam last fall that replaced my old elk bow a mathews lx loved the bow but has seen better days.i hunted elk  in the San Juan Mts in southern Co up to 11-12 thousand feet tough on the lungs and body.i trained for 6 months climbing and running i was 50 at the time.I had two pairs of goretex boots and took along plenty of mole skin for blisters and only needed it once.Goretex rain gear is a must too.I also used a cat quiver for my arrows.I hope you enjoy your hunt and like the other guys said listen to your guide and take his advice.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On February 3, 2017 at 9:01 PM, backbeach said:

I just bought a new Mathews NoCam last fall that replaced my old elk bow a mathews lx loved the bow but has seen better days.i hunted elk  in the San Juan Mts in southern Co up to 11-12 thousand feet tough on the lungs and body.i trained for 6 months climbing and running i was 50 at the time.I had two pairs of goretex boots and took along plenty of mole skin for blisters and only needed it once.Goretex rain gear is a must too.I also used a cat quiver for my arrows.I hope you enjoy your hunt and like the other guys said listen to your guide and take his advice.

Thanks man... yea I'm all ears on this one.  Love the opportunity to learn and potentially put some meat on the ground.  I splurged and bought the Kuiu Chugach rain set.  Pretty penny, but super light and relatively quiet.  

Of all the boots that i've used in the past, my $30.00 Kamik's have outlasted them all.  Super comfortable.  Wore them for a week straight while pushing bird / rabbits this past winter.   I have 2 pairs, so will prob bring em both