Strutters galore...

WNY Bowhunter

47 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Man, been seeing tons of birds out here in NE Steuben county. Doesn't quite look like spring yet, but it doesn't seem to be slowing them down. Most of the big winter flocks seem to be intact yet.

I heard a bunch of turkeys gobbling 2 mornings ago. Right about sunrise on the other side of the valley. Sent some chills down my neck.

I've been getting pics of three Jake's strutting with a flock of hens behind my house for a month now. Today I saw a beauty of a Tom strutting with a big flock. This is in Wayne county. Best turkey numbers we've had in a long time I think.

15 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Enjoy it now as when they see May 1st on the calendar. Poof... they're gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They won't be too far away. They'd better be watching for April 22nd!!!

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 1

Still not seeing many here yet. Saw a few last fall so hoping to get my grandson and buddies daughter out for the youth season. I may have to call in a favor to a friend, who has better turkey numbers on their farm in Greene county.

Even with the snows we had, they were all over our woods ...feeding up close to the tree trunks where the snow wasn't as deep....It should be a good year...The new blind arrived today..Still not impressed with windows, so I will be  buying some sticky round magnets to get the configuration I want... Other wise nice, though the door's real tight. From skirt edge to skirt edge 58 inches...it will go on a 5x8 foot raised platform when not at camp...

IMG_1981.JPG

• Like 2

I have been watching my 26-28 birds coming everyday to the back yard. got 2 nice sized toms strutting & fanning out for the hens & chasing a few. also have a few hens chasing each other around with a little sparring going on.  Toms gobbling & hens yelping every am.  They are goofy but fun to watch!

• Like 2

Saw a strutting Tom just west of Rt 20 and 63 (Texaco Town) last Sunday.  He had himself a pile of other birds to impress and one car pulled over taking movies.........

Could have and should have been other Tom's but I didn't stop to gawk, breakfast in Avon had my attention.

I got 4 strutting toms this AM.  2 old toms & 2 jakes.  Fun to see the toms go after & shut the jakes right down when they try to show off for the ladies.  I wish I knew how to do the pic/video thing so I could show them doing their thing.  Also who knows what is up when the toms drop their wings &  sort of hunch 1/2 over & move back & forward by himself,  I am thinking maybe getting his rocks off.    (sorry ladies,lol)  any ideas?   Also they are beginning to be a pita due to the mud & turkey crap all around the bird feeders. I may need to stop filling the feeders for a while.

• Like 1