New bow on order

maytom

I laugh when people mention draw weight. Who needs a. 70# bow...?? Look at the speeds of 50 and 60# bows. Look at KE.... Seems it's a "tough guy" thing. My skinny a$$ is fine @60# !! I believe Ted Nugent is always mentioning his Mathews is at 45# and he kills everything. Don't feel like your losing anything when shedding #'s

I shoot 72 lbs, not because I'm a "tough guy," I can easily draw 72lb so why shouldn't I? In a sport where penetration is very important I feel that you should use the heaviest draw weight you can safely/easily handle. Can a 60lb bow today outperform a 70 from a decade ago? I'm sure it will. Do I need a 30-06 to kill a deer? No, but extra power can only help. I guess I don't care what the guy next to me shoots for draw weight, as long as you can make that arrow go where it should go you can shoot 100# for all I care. (I drew a 100# bow once, it was my buddy's pronghorn setup, felt like I detached my shoulder blade from my body). You mentioned to look at the speeds and KE (which in my opinion is a bogus number for calculating arrow energy) but if you're impressed by the energy you can get from a 60#, wouldn't a 70 be that much more impressive again? I don't shoot heavy draw weight to see how fast I can make an arrow go, I shoot fairly heavy arrows (460gr.) at around 315fps, if I shot a 460gr. Arrow out of a 50-60# bow my velocity would be below what I want it to be, therefore I'd lighten my arrow to get it back to 300+ fps. Like I said, if the weight is too heavy for you to utilize properly then you have no business using it, power is useless if you can't direct it to where it needs to go.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Surrounded by a bunch of tough guys !! Ha. It wasn't a call out at all fellas. Just stating the facts that a 60#er will be more than enough for whitetail. As far as elk and speed goats @80yrds.... I was stuck in the mindset of wny deer. Obviously the numbers improve as poundage goes up (typically) but that's like me telling you ( a 30-06 guy ) that shooting a 50bmg is better... At any rate,on of my main reasons to stay at 60# is not cause I'm a wuss it's for those long sits in freezing temps. Sometimes that 60# can feel like 80#. Also, bending and twisting in a tree, cramped in a blind or spot and stalk to bow range are all more reasons to have less poundage for a smoother and easier draw.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

What about hunting out west or Canada for 50-80yd shots. Does the extra weight help keep the arrow flatter for longer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biz I have the halon 6 with the 70 lb limbs... 100% worth it if you can pull the weight! You should pull the trigger and get one for sure.. honestly it's faster then my x bow, and a lot of fun to
Shoot. I have the 32 btw.... you should be able to get all in for around 1500 with everything you need including arrows.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sweet old bill said:

good luck with your new bow. what brand, lbs,  set up peak weight....I hope you take many fine deer with it....

Mathew's Halon 32, set at 58.6 lbs. (50-60 range), Yes that is a Montana Black Gold Rush site, awesome!!!

Thanks guys, really going to love this new bow a lot!!!

• Like 2

Looks like a great bow let us know how you like it after a few weeks!  How is the Valley, back wall, does it pull forward at full draw or is it easy to hold, what arrows are you using, GPI or total weight of arrows and FPS if you have a chronograph. 

Best of luck with it, looks like an awesome bow! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/31/2017 at 10:43 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

What about hunting out west or Canada for 50-80yd shots. Does the extra weight help keep the arrow flatter for longer?

even out west you can get away with a 50-60 lb bow all day long.  same as any other ballistics. if you're hunting say moose at whatever distance or smaller game like deer at longer distance you'd care more about maintaining energy down range and pentration.  you can push a heavier arrow with heavier draw weight at the same speed and as flat as a lighter arrow with a lighter draw bow. assuming all else equal that heavier arrow will penetrate better than a lighter one, shot from a lighter bow, going the same speed.

you have to consider bows draw differently too.  i could give you one bow at 70lbs that'd draw as easy as another at 55 lbs.  pick a bow, sit in a chair pick both feet off the floor, and try to draw relatively straight back without squirming around.  as long as you can and not struggle, you're probably not too heavy.

hunting out west is typically spot and stalk or from the ground.  terrain still isn't level and making a standing shot on not level ground has its effects.  a longer bow say 34" versus 30" will be easier to shoot without unknowingly canting the bow left or right that would throw off your shot left or right.