Tri-Pod Stand

Anyone use a Tri-Pod stand . I bought one from Wally World on line for just under $200 . I hope it meets my expectations .

This durable, steel tripod stand measures 15 feet to the full-surround shooting rail, letting you observe the surrounding area inconspicuously! The foot platform gives you lots of room for standing shots, and also features a seat cushion with a cushioned backrest for comfort when the hours start adding up. The seat also rotates 360 degrees for full coverage of the shooting field, and features padded armrests and backrest. Also includes a RealTree AP Camo Skirt. 
Amerstep 15' Tripod:

• 42" x 42" Octagonal Platform
  • RealTree Xtra Camo padded shooting rail on all sides
  • Ultra-quiet 360-degree swivel seat
  • RealTree Xtra Camo padded arm rests
  • RealTree Xtra Camo accented seat and back cushions
  • Full ladder design
  • 1-year warranty

TriPod stand.jpeg

Yes, make sure when you rotate it is quiet and try to brush it in good with surrounding brush so your head is the only thing in view when sitting.  I like to make a blind spot with brush where most of the deer come in so they can not see your movement, typically I will have shooting lanes set in open area's of the brush.

I have used a friend of mines...   it was pretty sturdy, but I found that he shooting rail was much closer than I would want it and found it hard to get a good rest and still be able to shoulder the gun..   might just be the one he had, but i  need like another foot to be comfortable.

This is the view walking in to my tripod from my hay field. It is about 45yds in and looks over 15 acres that was selectively logged in the winter of 98-99. There is 250 yd shooting lane directly on the far side and 3 more from 75 to 100yds radiating like the spokes of a wheel. .

Since 2001, between myself and 2 other hunters, there have been over 30 deer taken from that stand, most of them bucks.

DSC05129_zpsviakhfxo.jpg

Here are just a few of them.

DSC04895_zpszypfjxqn.jpg

Deer11-29-14_zps25d35c7f.jpg

2010 (This young man's 1st deer)

1stbuck001.jpg

2009Buck002.jpg

DSC00533compressed.jpg

2004 (The largest buck taken from my property, 219# dressed)

BigBuck2004compressed.jpg

Get a roof on yours and put a skirt around the perimeter. I use the camouflage burlap that is sold at Wally World and replace it about every 2 years.I seldom remove the old ragged skirt. I just add the new over top of the old.

Learn to move by gripping the rails and turning yourself with your arms while your feet are raised off the grate. It is much quieter that way

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 4

We got two of them. One over looks an overgrown buckthorn field, the other over looks the high grassy, tail end of a swamp. Like the others said, you want some back cover and blind material to break up your outline. But very comfortable to sit and shoot out of. You got a great deal on that 15 footer by the way! One other thing. We always pound in anchor stakes, just to be safe!

Edited by grampy

It says -- 15' to the rail so I am guessing the platform is probably 12' from the ground . I have a few packs of the camo burlap . Wally-World had it on clearance for $5 . I have a spot picked out that it would blend in pretty well . I also have some pieces of pressure treated 2"X8" that i would put under the legs and also get some fence post stakes to drive in the ground to anchor the legs to . Not sure what I will do for a roof or overhead protection . I will have to wait for the area to dry up as I don't want to have to carry this so far . 

Fed-Ex should be delivering the stand Thursday . I kept checking the Wal-Mart site as they were out of stock for quite a while and thought there might be a price jump when they got more . 

On 4/4/2017 at 5:55 PM, fasteddie said:

Not sure what I will do for a roof or overhead protection . I will have to wait for the area to dry up as I don't want to have to carry this so far . 

Make a frame out of light gauge 3/4" steel tubing and attach it to the uprights for the rail. You may need to add some additional cross braces at the bottom of 3/4" angle. .  Go to a local lumber yard and ask if they have any "cover sheets".  They are used to protect sheet metal roofing and may have a few scratches on them. They will usually have some laying around and will give them away for the asking. I killed my biggest buck (body wise) during a steady rain at 10:00 AM. (the big 4-point from 2004)

Edited by wildcat junkie

. I also have some pieces of pressure treated 2"X8" that i would put under the legs and also get some fence post stakes to drive in the ground to anchor the legs to . Not sure what

Mine had flanges welded to the bottoms of the legs and ladder. I lag screwed treated 4' long 2X8s to the legs and ladder. If it is a soggy area like where my stand is located, it will soon become part of the ground and the suction will hold it down in some pretty good winds. Mine is somewhat sheltered for wind and needed no other anchoring. If yours is in an exposed area, the planks laid flat will add additional stability to any tie downs you might fashion, especially once they settle into the ground. I once considered digging a hole with a post hole digger centered under the platform, then filling it with concrete and a re-bar loop for a tie down. You can them go from each corner with cables and turnbuckles. With something like that and the planks laid flat, it would take hurricane force winds to blow it over once the planks settle in.

Edited by wildcat junkie

. Not sure what I will do for a roof or overhead protection . I will have to wait for the area to dry up as I don't want to have to carry this so far . 

8 hours ago, wildcat junkie said:

Make a frame out of light gauge 3/4" steel tubing and attach it to the uprights for the rail. You may need to add some additional cross braces at the bottom of 3/4" angle. .  Go to a local lumber yard and ask if they have any "cover sheets".  They are used to protect sheet metal roofing and may have a few scratches on them. They will usually have some laying around and will give them away for the asking. I killed my biggest buck (body wise) during a steady rain at 10:00 AM. (the big 4-point from 2004)

Here is a PDF of the instructions for the 'roof kit" that was available for the stand. It might givwe you some idea of how to fashion something yourself.

http://treestandcustomerservice.com/2011 Instructions/2011 WMTS-100.pdf

The package was by the Garage door when I got home from the airport . HEAVY ! Dragged it in the garage but will have to check it out and make sure everything is in it as it was open a bit on each end . 

I plan to put some lumber under each leg so they don't sink in .Will also  anchor it with fence posts driven in at an angle . It will be tucked into an area where there are a lot of scrub trees but after all the wind we have had , I want to make sure it is anchored well . 

A roof would be great but any I have seen don't look very good as they work fine if there is no wind when it rains but don't look very functional if it is windy when it rains . Wondering how I might be able to use a Patio Umbrella so it could be taken down when no one is in the Blind . I have a lot of time to figure thins out as it is sooooo wet that I would bury my ATV trying to get to that area now .

Thanks for the suggestions ! 

6 hours ago, rob-c said:

The patio umbrella is a good idea, it would be a lot quieter than rain hitting a metal roof . 

The noise doesn't bother the deer if it is there 24/7/365 and when it's raining hard enough for the tin to make a racket, you can't gear much anyway. At 1st I had burlap over the tin but since noise proved to not be an issue anyway, I never bothered replacing it as it deteriorated.

The problem with something that isn't permanent is that it will draw attention when you do try to use it.

Edited by wildcat junkie

7 hours ago, fasteddie said:

A roof would be great but any I have seen don't look very good as they work fine if there is no wind when it rains but don't look very functional if it is windy when it rains .

Believe me, the fabric "roofs" that come with the kits are a joke and aren't anything more than a sun shade. I left mine on under the tin to hide the white underside. The frames however are made to order for standing seam roof metal to be screw applied. I just applied 2 pieces on either slope and made a ridge cap out of a section with the standing high portion at the peak.

Edited by wildcat junkie

4 hours ago, wildcat junkie said:

The noise doesn't bother the deer if it is there 24/7/365 and when it's raining hard enough for the tin to make a racket, you can't gear much anyway. At 1st I had burlap over the tin but since noise proved to not be an issue anyway, I never bothered replacing it as it deteriorated.

The problem with something that isn't permanent is that it will draw attention when you do try to use it.

I wasn't talking about the deer, I wouldn't want to sit for hours and hours listening to the rain hitting the tin. and for me I wouldn't want the extra noise to take away from me hearing a deer.. but that's me...

I set one up & used it for the first time last season. Very comfortable & really enjoyed hunting from it. I found that one of the down sides is the ease and wanting to rotate and to see what's around me constantly, deer pick up the movement quickly so brush it in well. The three legs limit placement to level ground or you will be digging a hole to sink one of the legs to level things out. I'm looking forward to hunting from it again next season, shot 2 does during Ohio late muzz season at 130 yards each, rail makes a great gun rest. Enjoy it.

I opened the carton and inventoried everything . Nothing missing . I had to laugh when I saw the stakes that came with the stand . It does have a skirt that attaches to the shooting rail so I won't need to use the burlap camo . 

I was able to assemble and install my Quad-Pod elevated stand alone . It was much heavier than this one but not sure if I could get this one upright by myself ....WWGD  ( What Would Growalot Do ) ....:rolleyes:

Need some dry weather and hope the pond field dries up like last year . 

13 hours ago, rob-c said:

I wasn't talking about the deer, I wouldn't want to sit for hours and hours listening to the rain hitting the tin. and for me I wouldn't want the extra noise to take away from me hearing a deer.. but that's me...

As I said, if it's raining hard enough to make a racket on the roof, how are you going to hear a deer anyway? Besides, we're talking about less than 10 square feet and not an enclosed building like a pol barn. After 17 years experience I can say that it isn't really distracting unless it is a downright frog strangling rain. I would be hesitant to shoot a deer under those condition anyway.

Edited by wildcat junkie

13 hours ago, catskillkid said:

I set one up & used it for the first time last season. Very comfortable & really enjoyed hunting from it. I found that one of the down sides is the ease and wanting to rotate and to see what's around me constantly, deer pick up the movement quickly so brush it in well.

Three legs are easier to level than four. Four legs would be a nightmare on anything other than an even & level surface. Thre legs will always stabilize regardless of the surface. Not so with four.

As far as swiveling? People laughed at me when I posted about making rear view mirror. I generaly just concenytrate on facing upwind. You can still cover about 240* without much movement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hey guys. I was wondering if anyone has used rifle bipod in hunting big games and if it did work for him/her? I am somehow contemplating if to carry it along in the up buck hunting season or if it will an extra load good for nothing? I will really appreciate your ideas guys. Thanks folks. 

from Nils.

http://perfectriflescope.com/best-rifle-bipod-review/