United Airlines memes

Nomad

18 minutes ago, grampy said:

Wow! What a nice way for United, to treat a paying customer! Just when you think you've seen it all...........

Well to be fair. I think they may be getting a bad wrap from what I have read. Yes they bumped him but from what I read the beating was at the hands of airport security. Anyone see any different?

I admit I don't know too much about the scenario, but I heard that they overbooked and that is why they wanted him off.  That alone places blame on United.  Why should I be asked to get off a flight that I booked and paid for simply because United chose to sell more seats than they had available.  Absurd practice that should stop.  I don't want a free ticket to get off.  I just want to get to the place I paid to go safely, on time, and with as minimal hassle as is possible.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I admit I don't know too much about the scenario, but I heard that they overbooked and that is why they wanted him off.  That alone places blame on United.  Why should I be asked to get off a flight that I booked and paid for simply because United chose to sell more seats than they had available.  Absurd practice that should stop.  I don't want a free ticket to get off.  I just want to get to the place I paid to go safely, on time, and with as minimal hassle as is possible.

I agree, I've been bumped before on about a half dozen occasions. The story I saw was not that it was oversold. It was that they needed the seats to re-position a crew for another flight at the destination city. The names were drawn randomly

I dont blame United for this in any way shape or form. They offered everyone money to give up their seat. When noone volunteered, the computer picked them. When you you an airline ticket, you agree that the airline has the right to remove you from the flight for any reason, and that they will compensate you for the inconvenience. Its the law that determines how much you get. This guy was a douche bag, and got treated accordingly by Airport Police. To me it seems the airline did the right thing, they called security because a passenger was being uncooperative. The way the Airport Police handled it is up for debate, but people should know better than to act like an idiot in an airport or on a plane. They dont tend to mess around. The media is trying to twist this into something it isnt.

• Like 1

I was hoping to keep this light hearted and funny, but we're moved past that .

Myself I never take the "bump" I just want to get to vacation or home , I'll buy the next ticket I need thank you very much . Now it's always been done prior to boarding from what Ive  seen  , once  my ass in in the seat I intend on it staying there, stop me at the gate , I'll be pissed but more understanding . You over book fine, but once I'm on the plane in a seat I think those folks in the airport miss the plane not me .

United could have bumped up,the offer but stopped at $800 instead the max allowed of $1,375  , but choose not to . I guess the saying everyone has their price is not known to,them .

Air travel is seen by many as unpleasant and a hassle to begin  with, over booking just adds to it . 

As far as these "police " it's unsure if they even have powers of arrest , or can board the plane . Not sure why perhaps they just have peace officer status .

Not handling it prior to,boarding , not maxing out the $ , and beating up a 70 y/o Doctor for not giving up a seat he's sitting in, seems a poor way of handling it .

• Like 3

I can see your point, but the agreement you enter into is what it is.

A good analogy for this would be, you agree to give someone a ride somewhere, something more important for you comes up, you ask the person to get out of your car so that you can take care of that important thing, and they refuse to leave. What do you do? Call the police and let them handle the situation. Thats essentially what United did. If anyone is to blame for what happened to the guy (other than himself), its the police, not the airline. JMO. Back to the memes

C9Ky5AtVoAARjaa.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

I was hoping to keep this light hearted and funny, but we're moved past that .

Myself I never take the "bump" I just want to get to vacation or home , I'll buy the next ticket I need thank you very much . Now it's always been done prior to boarding from what Ive  seen  , once  my ass in in the seat I intend on it staying there, stop me at the gate , I'll be pissed but more understanding . You over book fine, but once I'm on the plane in a seat I think those folks in the airport miss the plane not me .

United could have bumped up,the offer but stopped at $800 instead the max allowed of $1,375  , but choose not to . I guess the saying everyone has their price is not known to,them .

Air travel is seen by many as unpleasant and a hassle to begin  with, over booking just adds to it . 

As far as these "police " it's unsure if they even have powers of arrest , or can board the plane . Not sure why perhaps they just have peace officer status .

Not handling it prior to,boarding , not maxing out the $ , and beating up a 70 y/o Doctor for not giving up a seat he's sitting in, seems a poor way of handling it .

The wording on this 'regulation' is very unclear. I don't think the $1,350 is a 'maximum price' for a bribe to get someone off a plane, but more like a suggestion, or something. And these bribes usually happen at the gate before passengers have actually boarded.

For what this fiasco is going to cost United in the end they could have paid every passenger on the flight a half million dollars each to get off the plane and still come out ahead. Very stupid, IMO.

15 minutes ago, philoshop said:

The wording on this 'regulation' is very unclear. I don't think the $1,350 is a 'maximum price' for a bribe to get someone off a plane, but more like a suggestion, or something. And these bribes usually happen at the gate before passengers have actually boarded.

For what this fiasco is going to cost United in the end they could have paid every passenger on the flight a half million dollars each to get off the plane and still come out ahead. Very stupid, IMO.

It depends on the price of the one way fare to your destination

Involuntary Bumping

DOT requires each airline to give all passengers who are bumped involuntarily a written statement describing their rights and explaining how the carrier decides who gets on an oversold flight and who doesn't. Those travelers who don't get to fly are frequently entitled to denied boarding compensation in the form of a check or cash. The amount depends on the price of their ticket and the length of the delay:

• If you are bumped involuntarily and the airline arranges substitute transportation that is scheduled to get you to your final destination (including later connections) within one hour of your original scheduled arrival time, there is no compensation.
  • If the airline arranges substitute transportation that is scheduled to arrive at your destination between one and two hours after your original arrival time (between one and four hours on international flights), the airline must pay you an amount equal to 200% of your one-way fare to your final destination that day, with a $675 maximum.
  • If the substitute transportation is scheduled to get you to your destination more than two hours later (four hours internationally), or if the airline does not make any substitute travel arrangements for you, the compensation doubles (400% of your one-way fare, $1350 maximum).
  • If your ticket does not show a fare (for example, a frequent-flyer award ticket or a ticket issued by a consolidator), your denied boarding compensation is based on the lowest cash, check or credit card payment charged for a ticket in the same class of service (e.g., coach, first class) on that flight.
  • You always get to keep your original ticket and use it on another flight. If you choose to make your own arrangements, you can request an "involuntary refund" for the ticket for the flight you were bumped from. The denied boarding compensation is essentially a payment for your inconvenience.
  • If you paid for optional services on your original flight (e.g., seat selection, checked baggage) and you did not receive those services on your substitute flight or were required to pay a second time, the airline that bumped you must refund those payments to you.

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

I looked up on what this is about...kinda moot points for United now ...the CEO stated on national TV, a paying customer boarded and seated will never be removed again....so I suppose they'll just make sure they do it before boarding... Though they did threaten another with handcuffs if he didn't give up his seat in first class to a priority passenger...So tell me If they had a seat in economy for this first class passenger...why did they not give it to the "priority" passenger...Now that would pizz me off, same plane that should not be allowed.

Edited by growalot

Well United isn't " giving " someone a ride , they're charging them, which in the eyes of the law brings upon a whole new standard  of care . The free ride was to the 4 employees .

Like a bailment for hire vs. a bailment . 

You collected my ticket allowed me to board, stow my bags and take my seat, now, for non paying people I'm forced off ? Seems a poor business model at best .

The police for a civil matter is a whole nother thing .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

Whatever your thoughts on the passenger are, he's gonna be several million dollars richer. I fly frequently and have volunteered occasionally if it works for me. I know all about the passengers flight agreement, it's a product of the monopoly and lobbying of our elected officials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't looked into this in any depth but here are my thoughts involving the apparent errors:

United Airlines personnel allowed everyone to board before deciding to kick 4 of the passengers off the flight. This is generally done at the boarding gate.

They made almost no attempt to simply 'bribe' the seated passengers to debark voluntarily. Three passengers were already gone and they needed one more seat.  "Here's $2000 cash and a ticket on the next flight in exchange for your seat..."

The CEO of United comes out and immediately places blame for the incident on the passenger rather than on the police, who were not United employees, thereby accepting 'ownership' of the situation.

The CEO then comes out and admits his company screwed up, thereby guaranteeing a substantial settlement for the plaintiff.

I'm not sure why this CEO was hired to begin with, but I don't think he'll ever be a CEO again after United fires him.

• Like 1

Rule 25 vs 21

Under United’s Contract Of Carriage (COC) rules (which follow federal rules), a passenger may only be bumped from a flight before they board (Rule 25). After they have taken their seat, Rule 21 is in effect, which would allow security to forcibly remove the passenger for many reasons — none of which includes accommodating last minute needs for a seat for other airline employees (or even overbooking). 

The flyer is in a contractual relationship with the airline, and each has rights and responsibilities under that contract. United Express violated the terms of the contract, and injured the passenger in the process.

• Like 3

Thanks , the whole thing didn't pass my " smell test", turns out my hunch is also based in law .

People have excepted the airlines heavy handed and intimidating tactics for so long, it appears normal to most .

or at least 3 out of 4 as this case shows .