Good Thing I Checked!

grampy

I thought for sure my grandson and I got our turkey tags last fall, when purchasing our hunting licenses. Never gave it a thought. So after dinner, he was off to baseball practice, and I went downstairs to start getting everything in order for his upcoming hunt. Saw his tag holder next to mine and wanted to be sure all was in order there, and checked it out. Much to my surprise no turkey tags! Checked mine, same thing. Dang, I always get mine every year, so not sure where I mucked up, but I  did apparently. So off to Dicks I went and we are good to go now. I'm so glad I checked! That could have been a big time screw up! I'm really much too young to have "senior moments"!  Jeez!  Anyone else ever have something like this happen to them?

• Like 6

That new tag structure/system made things more simple, obviously. lol  i buy everything, because at the end of the day i'll still probably have it in the back of my head i'm toting the Super Sportsman license.  i'd otherwise do the same thing.

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

That new tag structure/system made things more simple, obviously. lol  i buy everything, because at the end of the day i'll still probably have it in the back of my head i'm toting the Super Sportsman license.  i'd otherwise do the same thing.

Yup. It was so much easier when you just told the clerk Super Sportsman. Not blaming this on the clerk where I got my licence last fall. But I ran down the list of what I want, which is just about everything. Maybe they didn't hear or I didn't say, Turkey Tags! But for my grandson's first hunting license, I can't imagine not saying Turkey too????  Still chills me to think what would have happened, had we killed a bird. Being the mentor, that is not what I'd like to convey to my grandson or anyone! Still kinda mad at myself, for not checking earlier.

You're right Tom. One thing is sure, I won't forget again! After getting our licenses,  I must have just checked, to be sure, we had all our deer tags. And I  was excited to draw a 4-H DMP. Never gave turkey a thought till almost too late!  Guess now, we're good to go. Biggest worry I have left, is getting a turkey in front of the youngster. But I'm sure I'm not alone there.......lol

Nice catch ! A few years back I started to seperate my bow and gun tags, thinking why carry gun tag in bow, what if I loose them all ?

So imagine my surprise when I dropped a buck right off opening day , and no gun tags ! Left it right there , and flew home and back in an hour .

was going to call a dec officer I know , as once the tag blew off in transport to,processor ,and he said just right my lic . Info on a piece of paper along with his name and #. But I did not want to,well push my luck with him lol .

Same thing happened to me last year. I know I told the clerk at Walmart I wanted everything and he even asked specifically about turkey. But when I looked at my tags I noticed it missing last spring and had to run out and buy it the day before opening day haha. This year I'm all set and have them ready to go. Good thing you looked now Grampy!

• Like 1

I left my back tags on my turkey vest at least 2x only to realize it opening morning of bow season 70 miles from home and no back tag! ugg!

Opps I just re read this and I think it's backwards, I left tags on hunting coat and didn't realize it to opening morning of turkey season! Man I am definitely loosing it!! 

Edited by 2012_taco
added text.