Crossbow Bill S1386 is on the Senate Environmental Conservation Committee Meeting Agenda

tughillmcd

4 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

FYI - Almost identical Xbow legislation got bogged down in the (NY Senate's? )Environmental sub-committee in 2015 & 2016. Also, there is overwhelming support for this type of Xbow legislation as shown in a couple of "hunter surveys" and amongst most sportsman, land mgmt and farm bureau types of organizations across NYS. The opposition (IMO) is coming from a small number of bow hunters and an affiliated organization basically creating a "squeaky wheel" protest. Sort of thought that the Governor adding it to his version of the latest NYS budget, it was getting his stamp of approval and might stand a fighting chance of becoming approved legislation. My bad...

Wish I knew the real inside story behind this Xbow legislation's 3yr battle! My theory is that the majority of NYS legislators being from the greater NYC area (or borroughs) view this legislation as irrelevant to the best interests to their constituents and probably think Xbows are best used for killing zombies. While ~90% of NYS (land-wise) is where Xbow legislation would directly affect the minority of NY legislator's constituents. Making any Xbow bill a legislation "math problem" and directly influenced by those who voice the loudest opposition, whether in the majority or not! No offense to the forum members from the greater NYC area, but you probably could admit your legislators do NOT serve your best interests in hunting, fishing or outdoors activities. Unfortunately, like grampy elluded to, Xbow legislation will eventually get passed, but only through years of wearing down the unbelievers or those uninterested elected officials.

That is a very interesting question. Why is this legislation having such a difficult time. It used to be thought that the NYB was the force behind keeping the xbow out of bow season, the thought being that bowhunters were highly organized, and that no one was speaking for the crossbow interests. But that is no longer the case. The crossbow interests are now heavily organized, so it appears that the playing field has been leveled.

It appears that there may be something besides organizational lobbying efforts from either side that is running the show. Any theories?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Doc said:

That is a very interesting question. Why is this legislation having such a difficult time. It used to be thought that the NYB was the force behind keeping the xbow out of bow season, the thought being that bowhunters were highly organized, and that no one was speaking for the crossbow interests. But that is no longer the case. The crossbow interests are now heavily organized, so it appears that the playing field has been leveled.

It appears that there may be something besides organizational lobbying efforts from either side that is running the show. Any theories?

people don't like change.

I also don't think there is a "problem" with our bowseason. The only problem was the doe only rule 2 seasons ago and they fixed that. Those who cannot physically use a crossbow have a means to legally use one all season if they want to. I have said from day 1 that the means to do so should be easier and should apply to elderly as well.

However, as a legislator, my first question would be. What's wrong with the season that will be fixed by full inclusion? The answer in my opinion is nothing. The consequence is a few gun hunters are now happy and a few, possibly many bowhunters are now unhappy. It's not like crossbows are illegal. If I wasn't a hunter and looked at this issue from a distance, the whole crossbow thing just appears to be a special interest group trying to sell product. I have yet to see a good argument that it isn't a large part of the case.

• Like 1

Per the moderator's request, won't go into the "Why" of this Xbow legislation. The pros & cons have been aired numerous times on this forum. Whether you're pro or con, hopefully by now you've seen both sides of the discussion and formed an opinion based on the facts presented!

As far as "...  the whole crossbow thing just appears to be a special interest group trying to sell product. " If that were the case the NYCC wouldn't be begging for membership funds, soliciting for letter writing campaigns and would have all kinds of help lobbying in Albany!

Do know that last year's NYS legislative session was the most unproductive year on record. Your elected officials not doing their jobs...!?! Believe this year's session is full of resentment! Basically the legislators "butting heads" with the governor over Czar Andy's veto of the legislator pay increase and now closely looking at their stipend pay. Your elected officials acting like middle schoolers defying their parents...!?! Apologize if this has gotten overly political, but IMO it is why the Xbow legislation has pretty much stalled-out the last 2-3yrs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nyslowhand said:

Per the moderator's request, won't go into the "Why" of this Xbow legislation. The pros & cons have been aired numerous times on this forum. Whether you're pro or con, hopefully by now you've seen both sides of the discussion and formed an opinion based on the facts presented!

As far as "...  the whole crossbow thing just appears to be a special interest group trying to sell product. " If that were the case the NYCC wouldn't be begging for membership funds, soliciting for letter writing campaigns and would have all kinds of help lobbying in Albany!

Do know that last year's NYS legislative session was the most unproductive year on record. Your elected officials not doing their jobs...!?! Believe this year's session is full of resentment! Basically the legislators "butting heads" with the governor over Czar Andy's veto of the legislator pay increase and now closely looking at their stipend pay. Your elected officials acting like middle schoolers defying their parents...!?! Apologize if this has gotten overly political, but IMO it is why the Xbow legislation has pretty much stalled-out the last 2-3yrs.

So, is it merely governmental dysfunction? I don't know. To me there seems to be a pattern to it and having it happen so many years in a row, there does seem to be some direction to it. Frankly, I don't really see the issue as having that much real significance that it could serve as a political football. Let's face it, in the greater scheme of things, crossbows truly are pretty much at the bottom of the priority list. Perhaps that is the actual reason for this legislation having such a hard time progressing. Maybe it is just relegated to the bottom of the list because of it's lack of real significance.

As far as the political path that this thread has taken, I don't believe there is any need for an apology. When discussing the functions of government and legislation, politics is kind of built into the discussion.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:52 AM, nyslowhand said:

me thinks you don't understand how special interest groups operate.

The bill needs more support in the senate side. Everyone needs to call their senator and ask for their support. Additionally, people need to call the Senate Majority Leader Flanagan and ask he support this bill.

Senate Majority Leader Flannagan 
Albany 518-455-2071  District 631-361-2154

Ok, so Ive already said in this thread that crossbow debate doesnt belong in this thread, its for discussion about the progress of the bill. This is the final warning, the next person to do so will get a timeout from the site.

This is in response to Jeremy K's post this morning, which I deleted.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Ok, so Ive already said in this thread that crossbow debate doesnt belong in this thread, its for discussion about the progress of the bill. This is the final warning, the next person to do so will get a timeout from the site.

Does this go for everyone?

4 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Yes. Just trying to keep your thread on track, as many people are interested in progress of the bill.

4 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Really? Just screwing with me to see if I react to it? Well, I guess youre about to find out.

Thank you!

• Like 1

problem exists that it's not making nearly as much movement in the assembly for it to completely pass as law.  don't know how that works going into next years session even if it passes in the senate.  rick, do they both start from square one?

2 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

problem exists that it's not making nearly as much movement in the assembly for it to completely pass as law.  don't know how that works going into next years session even if it passes in the senate.  rick, do they both start from square one?

First, we need to address each chamber separately, but if this does not pass in both the Assembly and Senate by June 21st it will be dead for this year. There are 2 legislative session in a legislative cycle. The legislative cycle runs for 2 years which is bracketed by the election years. 

If these bills do not make it this year, they are already on the books for next January. Both would need to pass again next year but the momentum of having it passed in the Senate will go along way next spring in getting it passed there again. 

If it does not pass in both chambers in 2018, the bills die and have to be totally reintroduced and start from scratch in 2019.

We need everyone to engage and get this through the Senate in it's present from without being amended. If it gets amended this year, that is what we start with next year. It may be an uphill c limb, but if everyone gets involved, we can make it happen. 

I hope this makes sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, growalot said:

All said and done what is the earliest you'd know. Any time?

The session is scheduled to end on Wednesday June 21st. if it does not happen by then, it is done for this year. So anytime between next Monday and the 21st.

• Like 1

The session is scheduled to end on Wednesday June 21st. if it does not happen by then, it is done for this year. So anytime between next Monday and the 21st.

Thx. I was curious what the deadline. Hoping for the best, but it doesn't sound good. Frustrating that other states makes these change like nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1