Need Help Identifying Snake

clayshooter25

He didn't see (or hear) any rattling - which would have been a dead give away.

Not sure he wanted to get any closer.  I know I certainly wouldn't have.

I'm sure if I say I hate snakes, someone will jump all over me - - so just let me say I fear snakes ;-)

Because I do!!!

18 minutes ago, clayshooter25 said:

He didn't see (or hear) any rattling - which would have been a dead give away.

Not sure he wanted to get any closer.  I know I certainly wouldn't have.

I'm sure if I say I hate snakes, someone will jump all over me - - so just let me say I fear snakes ;-)

Because I do!!!

Don't feel alone, Clayshooter...Fear of snakes is the second most common phobia in this country, next to fear of heights..

Snakes don't bother me, although I would not care to share my sleeping bag with one...I am, however VERY much scared of heights...Put me up on a ladder and I useless...All I can do is tremble and hang on...  My most common nightmares involve being stuck up on cliffs or high buildings with nothing or little to hang on to..

• Like 1

Come on out, Curmudgeon....I can take you out in the Cameron/Cameron Mills area and find you one in short order...

A local snake expert ( now deceased)  told me that that area has the densest timber rattler population in NYS....Now that they are threatened, the DEC  is managing the area  with the snakes in mind...

Lots of snakes in some places in PA also...A friend of mine and his wife rode the bike trail along Pine Creek between Ansonia and Blackwell a couple years back and saw 17  timber rattlers along the trail....he had some some very cool pictures to share..

• Like 2

Smokein TN.....Jeff.. The local snake expert was Walt Young..Remember when he had his sign shop on Market ST ?....very knowledgeable gentleman when snakes were involved...

Edited by Pygmy

4 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Smokein TN.....Jeff.. The local snake expert was Walt Young..Remember when he had his sign shop on Market ST ?....very knowledgeable gentleman when snakes were involved...

Remember him well Dan. He was very knowledgeable about all species of snakes. He was bitten a lot if I remember right. He always spoke at various venue's when invited. A special kind of talent.

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Come on out, Curmudgeon....I can take you out in the Cameron/Cameron Mills area and find you one in short order...

A local snake expert ( now deceased)  told me that that area has the densest timber rattler population in NYS....Now that they are threatened, the DEC  is managing the area  with the snakes in mind...

Lots of snakes in some places in PA also...A friend of mine and his wife rode the bike trail along Pine Creek between Ansonia and Blackwell a couple years back and saw 17  timber rattlers along the trail....he had some some very cool pictures to share..

I'm sure you could but I don't travel much. I grew up near Bear Mountain where the OP took the photo. It was on one of my teenage jaunts that I encountered the only timber rattler I've seen in the wild. I found many more copperheads.

Easy to find them off trails near Mass/CT/NY border near me; after a cold night they try getting warm on south facing rocks. Big den site near a job I was doing with a researcher who was very keen on talking snakes as a regular visitor when we were working there.

I should really try to take more pics, but they are fun to watch.

Three in this pic,one is just in the edge of the frame near top right.

IMG_2159.jpg

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 3

As far as I am concerned, every poisonous snake could all of a sudden become extinct and this world would be a much better place. And when they go, they can take the mosquitos, black flies, gnats and ticks with them, and likely no one would ever miss any of them....... Particularly me!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2017 at 6:25 PM, Pygmy said:

I remember Walt. He came to a Boy Scout meeting one year and dropped a bag of snakes on the floor! The meeting was at the gun club (Nellie Ayers ???) up Beartown Hill. Quite the guy!