Natalie's new bow

moog5050

B9CB0DE5-C53A-451E-BAEF-64E4149C10F7.jpg

Old black bear compound riser milled to accept ilf limbs and some inexpensive sf axiom limbs.  64" bow and about 32-33lbs at 28".  Springy rest.  Shoots really nice.  I may paint the riser for her but she doesn't seem to mind the rat rod look.  I enjoy shooting this lightweight as much as her.  Now to make up some well tuned arrows.  

She will only need to move up about 5lbs over the next 4 years to be ready to hunt deer.  Pretty sure this bow would kill deer at my DL.  Had no issue hitting 3D targets to 25yds with reasonable umph.  

2C060156-29FE-4D98-BC15-6A6AF6000997.jpg

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

So was that a custom made bow, or was this something that Bear put out as a standard model?

The riser was a standard compound riser made by bear.  It was then modified to accept ilf recurve limbs. They make really nice recurve risers with some modification to the limb pockets.  Called a warf in the traditional arena. Can be bought and modified inexpensively but are as nice as much more expensive metal ilf recurve risers.   The limbs are standard ilf axiom limbs. Picked them up for $50 on eBay. 

This is what it looked like in a prior life as a compound. 

A36CAD56-548C-42E8-96D7-11FB0B0D791E.jpg

• Like 1

So cool that she is really into shooting traditional archery!  And she is lucky to have a Dad that knows bows and shooting.  In the not too distant future, I see a beautiful picture of Daughter and Dad, over an awesome whitetail, she just arrowed. Good luck and have fun with the new bow Natalie!!!

• Like 1

i imagine you in the store with your stature jumping up and down while fiercy clapping your hands at the sight of pink and purple accessories.  then a young kid who works their being thoroughly confused.  haha coming along nicely.  i'm excited for her.

6 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i imagine you in the store with your stature jumping up and down while fiercy clapping your hands at the sight of pink and purple accessories.  then a young kid who works their being thoroughly confused.  haha coming along nicely.  i'm excited for her.

Pink string - thanks Steve B - and purple arrows arrived yesterday.  I am jealous of her bow!  lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

who did the machining?

Somebody in Arkansas that has converted hundreds of these old compounds.  Name is Sam Dunham.  He and a gentlemen named Loc Do seem to have the market cornered on converting old compound risers to accept ILF limbs.

57 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Ive got my fathers old laminated wood riser Darton. Wonder if they do more than bears.

I know Sam has converted wood risers but I think he avoids them now.  Plus, riser geometry is a biggie.  Some work some don't.  I think a fair amount of deflex plus favorable pocket angles are key.  The black bear is one of the favored risers for warfing.   Look up warf recurves.  I think tradtalk has an entire forum or sub forum devoted to them.  

• Like 1