Well developed buck so early

First-light

While driving down through the Catskills just above Roscoe I saw this awesome buck. He was so far along creating horn I couldn't believe it. had at least 4 on each side he was very wide and tall. Will he grow through August or is he just an rely starter and taper off while others still grow? He was a sight to see!

• Like 1

In my experience, by the end of June they are basically ~75% of what they're going to be in October. May grow a few more inches in tine length, but mostly mass added on. More into the middle of July, they are probably at 90-95% of rack growth. Granted, different scenario for other parts of the state. Suppose if the available food sources were super good, they may develop more from 6/15 to 7/15.

• Like 1

I was driving around the southern tier all day ,stopped at multiple hunting locations to check cards , got this guy ,he has some head gear growing.BTW I'm loving the new cuddeback cams.
I__00120-1_1497719165950.JPG

Sweet baby jesus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Sweet baby jesus

I'll add him to the list of deer i WON'T see once the season rolls around . We get some of the most impressive looking bucks during summer and late summer . He'll be gone before the opener. 

• Like 2

I'll add him to the list of deer i WON'T see once the season rolls around . We get some of the most impressive looking bucks during summer and late summer . He'll be gone before the opener. 

I've never seen racks that progressed until late July

I was driving around the southern tier all day ,stopped at multiple hunting locations to check cards , got this guy ,he has some head gear growing.BTW I'm loving the new cuddeback cams.

What are you feeding them !!! Wow

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:21 PM, Jeremy K said:

I am always jealous of the early shots of good bucks because we rarely get them.  Mostly doe and little guys, but the better bucks seem to make their way to our grounds at some point come late Oct and Nov. so I can't complain much.  Seeing them early and not at all come season would be more frustrating.  Doe bedding on your property may be best as they stick around and bring in the big boys.

9 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I am always jealous of the early shots of good bucks because we rarely get them.  Mostly doe and little guys, but the better bucks seem to make their way to our grounds at some point come late Oct and Nov. so I can't complain much.  Seeing them early and not at all come season would be more frustrating.  Doe bedding on your property may be best as they stick around and bring in the big boys.

I would gladly trade situations and not see them til hunting season starts. We did see some nice ones during the last week of muzzleloader season, my dad actually missed a nice 8 pointer the last day.

• Like 1

I'd put the buck in the trail cam pic at a bit ahead of average for June 8th.  Some bucks start early and finish up early. Others come on strong at the end of July/early August. The tips of the tines closest to the beam and beams themselves are the last to finish growth...as long as they appear "bulby" they are still growing. I've been seeing a bunch of bucks around...only one was beginning to bulb into G3's but most older bucks that I've seen are forked at the G2's.

Here's one from last year that is pretty average on his growth timeline. All dates are correct.  Interestingly, this was during last year's drought. Hope he blows up this year...no pics of him since January.

yyyIMAG0034.JPG

yyyIMAG0969.jpg

yyyIMAG1108.jpg

yyyIMAG0898.jpg

yyyIMAG0611.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/17/2017 at 9:07 PM, Jeremy K said:

That's going to be a bruiser right there! Best of luck getting him in the sights during the season! 

• 3 weeks later...

Just getting ready to head back towards home after spending the last 2 days putting up cam's on the farm and The park. 100 head in the Evertt field outside Castile entrance.  Crazy number of deer.  You guys out looking for these big bucks better be careful or you may be included in the Trophy hunter club looking for just bone!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:52 PM, Four Season Whitetails said:

Just getting ready to head back towards home after spending the last 2 days putting up cam's on the farm and The park. 100 head in the Evertt field outside Castile entrance.  Crazy number of deer.  You guys out looking for these big bucks better be careful or you may be included in the Trophy hunter club looking for just bone!

You SICK SOBS....

How DARE you have your own standards for what you want to shoot  ?.......

13 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

You SICK SOBS....

How DARE you have your own standards for what you want to shoot  ?.......

I know, My Bad!  Here I thought everyone grew up in the sport but I guess some like it just the way it's been for the last 40 years. That's all well and fine if it was all the truth but even a couple of the so called meat hunters still show that it's the big one they hope for every sitting!