2017 live from the lake , ocean , pond , stream, river thread

turkeyfeathers

I also fish from 4 boats, which include my 17 ft deep-v, 12 foot rowboat, 17 foot canoe, and my father in law's 14 foot rowboat.  There has been a few memorable times with the canoe.  I always stay off the beer until I have my limit though.  The first thing I loose, when I take a sip, is the ability to detect a strike.  That is where downriggers and bobbers come in handy - they detect the strike for you.   
 I remember taking my canoe up to Long lake in the Adirondacks, about 10 years ago, for a week long summer family vacation.  There were guys in bass boats pounding the shorelines every morning, and I did not have much luck there, so I paddled up wind, and out to the middle of the lake.  Using a 5-gallon bucket as a sea-anchor to slow my drift, it did not take long to get a limit of good-eating sized smallies each morning on 1/4 oz jigs.     
About 5 years ago, out on Cuba lake, in the south-western part of the state, I caught a big smallmouth from the canoe.  She was on the edge of a weedbed that was near the opposite shore from our friend's cottage.  I did not have a camera, so I used a small rope stringer, thru the lower jaw, to hold her to the back of the vessel as I paddled back across the lake.  She kept pulling the back of the canoe off coarse, making for an interesting ride.   That 21" long bass was way too big to be good eating, but with some extra effort,  I got back across, got a picture, and released her relatively unharmed.   

From the guy who doesn't like catch and release fishing, but it's fine do give a fish a nice drag across the lake. You're an interesting man that's for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

From the guy who doesn't like catch and release fishing, but it's fine do give a fish a nice drag across the lake. You're an interesting man that's for sure.

33 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I definitely appreciate you fella's concern for the fish, which I consider to be food gifts from God.    I always go to great lengths to insure the survival of released fish and would encourage others to do likewise.   That includes wetting my hands before touching them, handling them and removing hooks gently, and running my boat's livewell pump often.  I will sometimes hold a larger than optimum fish or two in my livewell and only release them if I am not able to catch a smaller one in the time available.  

It sounds like you might have missed this part, which sums up my "other" reason for that drag.  Did you ever here the saying "kill two birds with one stone"  That there was saving a fish, and getting a picture with one rope.  

39 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Taking a large fish on light tackle puts considerable stress on them.   In this case, the lake was dead calm, so an immediate release would have probably lowered her odds of survival.  Have you ever saw any video footage of folks "reviving" big muskies or pike by pushing them back and forth to move oxygenated water across their gills ?   A slow drag across a calm lake does the same thing.  In this case, that big old bass just floated on her side at first, but by the time I reached the opposite shore, she was strong enough to pull that canoe around in circles.  The fact that my wife was able to catch a "live action" photo of the release was just an added bonus.

Sorry I left off the biological explanation for the drag on previous post.  Maybe you will "get it" now.

Edited by wolc123

It sounds like you might have missed this part, which sums up my "other" reason for that drag.  Did you ever here the saying "kill two birds with one stone"  That there was saving a fish, and getting a picture with one rope.  

I didn't miss it, you have no need to try and justify it with me. If dragging fish with a canoe is your prerogative than have at it I guess, just not my cup of tea is all.

Just pulled in to lake placid. I'll probably fish the Ausable tomorrow morning then I'm hoping to find a place to meet up with my buddy on Monday, he's in Lake George with his family. If anyone can recommend a place to wet a fly between here and there I'd appreciate it

• Like 1

Just pulled in to lake placid. I'll probably fish the Ausable tomorrow morning then I'm hoping to find a place to meet up with my buddy on Monday, he's in Lake George with his family. If anyone can recommend a place to wet a fly between here and there I'd appreciate it

The schroon River is always a safe bet!

The summer fly fishing should be excellent this year due to all the rain we have had, as opposed to the drought conditions of last year..

I have little experience with Adirondack streams, but I remember a summer a few years back when we had higher than normal water conditions..The fly fishing on the Cohocton was great all summer..One afternoon in August two partners and I landed 65 browns , all on dry flies..

Good luck, Tacks !

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

I decided to stay on the Au Sable and I'm having a good time, fish rising everywhere. I started with the Ausable Ugly, tied with a coyote tail provided by Grampy. Switched to trico when I saw fish rising. I think I've got four and pricked several more
be7a14d65591b012cfc4c127cb5ac170.jpge402b6690d00d4e1ad6eb290165eef50.jpgae4acabc073db90f37b569951c3bde17.jpg

• Like 10

37 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I decided to stay on the Au Sable and I'm having a good time, fish rising everywhere. I started with the Ausable Ugly, tied with a coyote tail provided by Grampy. Switched to trico when I saw fish rising. I think I've got four and pricked several more
be7a14d65591b012cfc4c127cb5ac170.jpge402b6690d00d4e1ad6eb290165eef50.jpgae4acabc073db90f37b569951c3bde17.jpg

What does that fly imitate?

On 8/5/2017 at 10:54 AM, wolc123 said:

Taking a large fish on light tackle puts considerable stress on them.   In this case, the lake was dead calm, so an immediate release would have probably lowered her odds of survival.  Have you ever saw any video footage of folks "reviving" big muskies or pike by pushing them back and forth to move oxygenated water across their gills ?   A slow drag across a calm lake does the same thing.  In this case, that big old bass just floated on her side at first, but by the time I reached the opposite shore, she was strong enough to pull that canoe around in circles.  The fact that my wife was able to catch a "live action" photo of the release was just an added bonus.

I definitely appreciate you fella's concern for the fish, which I consider to be food gifts from God.    I always go to great lengths to insure the survival of released fish and would encourage others to do likewise.   That includes wetting my hands before touching them, handling them and removing hooks gently, and running my boat's livewell pump often.  I will sometimes hold a larger than optimum fish or two in my livewell and only release them if I am not able to catch a smaller one in the time available.  

I did keep a 20 inch smallmouth out on Lake Erie last week, but that fish looked to be relatively young and was very healthy looking.  The growth rate on bass out there is as good as I have ever saw it.  15 years ago, before all those round-gobies, a bass of that age would probably have been less than 15 inches long.   The best way to insure the health of the fishery is to not catch them in the first place.  I no longer fish the "special early season" for bass on Lake Erie, since they changed the rules to only allow the keeping of bass over 20".  Those fellas that often brag of dragging 50-100 bass a day up off the spawning beds are doing a lot more harm than I am by dragging a single bass across a small inland lake in the middle of the summer.      

Have you ever tried breathing when your driving and roll all your windows down. Its always harder to 

Boat finally in, equipment found, new batteries installed, and gassed up.  Due to high water, there is a 5mph limit on irondequoit bay. Forecast said 2feet or less on lake O.

Sooooo, take afternoon off and head out. After a 45 min ride across the bay that usually takes about 7min, we head out of the channel and I knew it was a waste.  I will fish in up to 2-4 footers but my pops much prefers 2' or less.  The waves were on the high end of 1-3' maybe 2-4 and I could see my father was not happy.  Short shot out and we turned back around for another 45 minute ride to dock.  At least the weather was nice.  No fish were harmed in this voyage.   This is going to be the shortest fishing season ever on this boat.   Rain predicted all weekend too.  Gotta love it.  That 3lb bass from the pond may be my biggest fish of 2017.  Lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Moog, where'd you find your missing gear ? Didn't you already order replacements?

Yep - returned them.  The gear was in a bag where we store flies and flashers.  No idea why I put them there last year.  Never thought to look in the obvious place like one of the bags we removed from the boat.  Duh!  Only a $50 mistake for return shipping vs $1200.  I will take it.  

• Like 2

Fished out of oswego Sunday night and Monday blew pretty good Sunday settled down for Monday. Had awesome trip with few coho and steelies. 500 foot of water down 120 plus. First time out there went in another guys boat that was his first time out too. Boat handled it awesome couldn't have asked for it to be any better in the conditions. All and all for 2 rookies out on the big lake in less than ideal conditions we had a great time.

Trolled Owasco Sunday am before headed up few lakers....picked up this nice bass on a flasher fly combo tho never had that happen so was cool.d689be4d3a1e5728395edf95ca07f950.jpg7f691f31f39dadd7c07ebdc3caa7842f.jpg50e3d2a10bb35517cb1ce7f8c0de75dd.jpgbad16758c98085946bb6920b3579f849.jpg73856079bf0430de6fb2668e241d5229.jpgc92c479f65e67c8ccfe5af6b5b11150b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

I thought it was a coho? Black gums??? We caught 2 both at 18 lbs

That bottom salmon looks like a king to me.  Was going to guess mid to upper teens. Kings have black gums.  Cohos have dark gums too but not as dark usually and they are silver in body color like photo one. 

That bottom salmon looks like a king to me.  Was going to guess mid to upper teens. Kings have black gums.  Cohos have dark gums too but not as dark usually and they are silver in body color like photo one. 
Damn I'm still learning it....so you think this one is kingd977df232f46f1e4b44cdbb70236e335.jpg

• Like 1

Yep.   Cohos are called silvers due to body color.  Technically they have black mouths with white gums but they usually look more light gray gums with black mouth to me.  Kings have very dark gums.  Trout will have white gums and mouth although it's easy to tell steelhead and lakers from salmon.   18lbs would be a pretty large coho.  Nice king but not huge.  Still a great fight though, especially now. 

and I still suck at distinguishing an Atlantic from coho.  Atlantics are smaller. 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2