How many camp in a tent?

Geno C

i guess time just wasnt no my side this year... every month i kept saying ok next month ill get everyone together for a trip but it came and went as fast as i said it. are you going to try and go camping or this season a wash?

• 3 years later...

Still use a tent. Have three set ups. One for backpacking, don't do this much anymore. One for car trips, big tent and a queen air mattress so as mentioned, the little woman is happy. So am I to be honest, I like that air matress! One me and a buddy use on his parents land, large tent and we both have a cot. We ATV in, so we can have a few comforts. We call it Camp Nowhere.

I will try to get a few pics in from last summer at Camp Nowhere. It's about 3/4 a mile in, and the only big issue is the dang coyote pack that likes to wake us up in the middle of the night. This summer we remade the fire pit, a little bigger, and higher on one end to help feed wood when cooking and to help with smoke.

Edited by CyanideRob

I love it. I keep trying by buddies dad into letting us make some form of real camp, maybe even just an old extended vav, insulate it and get a generator, that way I can use it as a hunting camp too..I will keep trying..LOL

The lil woman and I have thought about getting a small camper, just so we a place to get out of the elements. July week long trip was hell the first 3 days. Two small hurricanes came through. I still don't know how I kept the fire going...

I've spent my share of time in tents...

5 hunts in Alaska..All DIY unguided..We hired an air taxi to drop us in the wilderness and stayed in small tents..

I had some great experiences and a few real MISERABLE nights, like when a storm wrecked one of our two tents and soaked all the gear in that tent. We had to put 4 of us in one small tent with only 2 sleeping bags while it rained for another five days until the weather finally cleared enough so we could be flown out.

I've also hunted elk and mule deer in Colorado and New Mexico and camped in small tents.

Once on a caribou hunt in northern Quebec, the outfitter flew 5 of us out to a spike camp..We spent a miserable and scary night huddled in a little tent through 50-60 MPH gales and rain. That was perhaps the LONGEST night I have ever spent, but in the morning we put on our raingear, went out on the tundra and killed 3 more bull caribou to fill our tags.

Now that I'm older, I don't do tents much anymore, but I wouldn't pass up a hunt in a nice comfortable wall tent as long as I had a COT to sleep on...

I am considering a small wall tent for the private land camp. I think that and a wood stove would help by buddy be willing to camp in colder weather. Would have been nice for this season if had the time, seeing the deer I scouted all summer bed down 100 yds from where we camp, and like to use our "potty spot " just as much as we do.

LOL

I agree. The beer is a must have! I would use a sleeping pad in the area from the pics, but, I have a bad hip and back, and nerve damage in my neck and shoulder, and my buddy has a really bad back from a fall on Gore Mtn.. So those cots make sleeping a lot nicer. I sleep better on my cot then the matress on my bed at home.

With injuries and age come pain you didn't think you would have. It sucks to wake up at 3 AM in severe pain. So, I like my cot and my big old air matress when we use drive up camp grounds.

I do have a set up for hiking with just a small pup tent. I just don't use it much anymore.

Here's a pic of this spot 4 years ago, it's the backside. We set up, and because of the leaves we didn't realize we were sleeping on an old logging road. I could barely walk for a month after this trip. So yeah, I got me a bigger tent and a cot. LOL

Edited by CyanideRob

We usually camp twice a year as a family, once in Spring and then in the Fall.  With costs of everything up and college visits, just no time or funds this year.

I was 4 the first time I tent camped.  I have backpacked in two man tents and split the gear, and backpacked carrying most of the gear (personal gear, plus tent, stove, lantern, propane, 3 qt. of water, some food, etc.) 

I do not recommend have one person in a tent that is meant for 2-3 when camping in the snow - too dam cold.  Did that about 5 years ago during a snow storm. The old canvas tents are warmer to use in the winter than the new nylon ones are.  Better off with foam cushioning in the cold, airbeds hold the cold air under you, and cots without a foam mattress allows the cold air to circulate all around you.

Car camping with the family is much easier - screen house, 5 person or 8 person tent, two man tent (for gear storage), 3 burner stove, bulk prone tank, table, chairs, air beds, fully stocked cooler, and a kitchen's worth of pots and pans.  Plus fishing gear and life jackets for boating. A buddy hauls in 3 canoes and a kayak for a joint family trip. 

Never used an airbed until took wife camping for the first time,.  She heard someone else filling up an airbed and asked what that sound was - the rest is history.  No airbed, I don't get my sleeping bag warmer.

Eating well and a nice campfire is what makes it enoyable.  Dinners may be: burgers and dogs, steak and shrimp scampi, beer chicken, pizza, BBQ ribs, or spaghetti.  At least one morning is french toast or pancakes with sausage, or eggs and bacon.  We have coffee perculators, a stove top toaster.  Our friend has a stove-top oven for baking.  We have cooked pies and cobblers for desert.

• 7 months later...

Did some tent camping with my grandsons last summer. We had no cot or air mattress and my back felt the pain. Got air mattress's now and they are already asking to go when school is out. A great way to make fun memories.

• Like 1

Use to tent all the time when I was younger and the kids were younger... spent many a freezing temp night in a tent hunting the ADK's... older and smarter now... camp life is where it's at now... comfy bed... wood stove... and a stocked liquor cabinet and frig!

The misses and I just bought a tent. We plan on going in July on our first camp outing.

Where are you camping??

Only once in my life (IIRC) have I camped in a "campgrounds" and that was last summer at Keuka Lake State Park.  It was OK but I'd much rather NOT be with other people I don't know. 

The showers and porcelain throne  were nice but a sponge bath and 5gal bucket work fine too.  :)

• Like 1

Thanks grampy work has been crazy. My supervisor is out for 3 months so I'm covering my position as well as his so the overtime is nuts. Lawdwaz since it's our first time, we are going to Clarence Fahnestock park for 2 days just to get the feel. I probably would've done something more remote if it was just me but the misses is a city girl so I'm easing her in to the outdoors.

Edited by Borngeechee
  • Like 1

If'n you're "car camping", go heavy on the niceties! 

How big is the tent?

Cooking table, screen room, great chairs,table for inside tent,  water containers x 5, high end food etc,

Electric (may as well!) on site??  Extension cords, lamp for tent and cooking area........etc etc.

If'n you're "car camping", go heavy on the niceties! 

How big is the tent?

Cooking table, screen room, great chairs,table for inside tent,  water containers x 5, high end food etc,

Electric (may as well!) on site??  Extension cords, lamp for tent and cooking area........etc etc.

Thought of another "must" have.........a fan.  :)

If you don't like the heat, a fan can really help you sleep and..........if all the strange noises out in the wild are going to keep your wife awake at night the fan could help a ton.  YMMV

We were at Max V. Shauls State Park Lawdwaz. Been camping there since I was 13. One of my favorite state run campgrounds.

We have a small fan, we don't use it much. It is pretty quit so we still hear the creatures of the night when we do use it.

The one thing I am not big on are campgrounds with more then about 50 sites. I will go to them to keep the g/f happy, but I am usually miserable. I go camping to be out in nature and have peace and quiet, if I was to listed to a bunch of loud rowdy drunks all night I would go to a bar or stay home and sit in the yard and listed to the dipsticks walking by. LOL