Dilemma with neighbor

crfingnutz

Remove the stand you gave them a heads-up. give them the trail camera back leave it at there door step or wait till you see them. Make clear that there is no hunting be polite. When I bought my property went and met all neighboring land owners so far so good. Sounds like you may not be so lucky. The first year I would hunt areas that they may becoming on your property and be visiable to them easy way to get message across. If they do trespass call the cops and call every time after that the LEO will get sick of the calls and and wont be happy with the neighbors that dont get the message, retired nypd or not. Start out nice and let then set the tone as how it goes. Only issue I see is 11 acres is small and even a good shot the deer may wander off of yours property to theres and if a war is started you may be sol in recovering your deer

I think most of us landowners have had issues with trespassers / poaching on our properties. We all want to be courteous to neighbors and not provoke any problems. However if the land has been posted and you tell the neighbor that you do not want him or any of his buds on your land, that should be more than enough to keep them off. He knows the law,especially since he is a retired police officer. I get very upset when people think they are more privileged  than others and want to take advantage of another person's hard and costly work which was necessary to purchase your property.

I would remove the stand and place it on his side of your common property line. This will be his third warning notice.

Edited by catskillkid

Somehow I missed any description of the stand. Is it a purchased portable stand, or is it a wooden construction (boards and nails). To me that makes a difference as to what is to be done with it. If it's boards and nails, rip it down and dispose of the wood. it apparently belongs to no one who is willing to claim it. If it is a purchased portable, take it down and store it in your garage. Do the same with the trail cam. If no one comes to claim them, consider them a gift to you, the land owner.

I assume that your name and address is on your posted signs, so anyone looking for these items knows how to get in contact with you. You can leave notes on the trees where these things were mounted, but that is optional. As far as I am concerned, these gifts are abandoned property, and I would not exert any more effort at finding the owner. If they come asking for them, hand them over if you want, unless they start giving you grief over it. Seriously, if they walked through your posted signs and began using your property as their own, the items that they left behind are gifts to you. So it is up to you as to whether you should refuse their gifts or not.

• Like 1

When I bought my land 3 years ago I put up what my son calls the *sshole sign but worked. I suggest the same about 3'X4' or bigger. It reads:

NEW   LANDOWNER   ALL

PRIOR HUNTING PERMISSION

IS NO  LONGER  VALID

• Like 4

Just take the camera, even if the stand is in a great location get it out of there, put up your own. If you encounter this guy again, be nice, if he lies to you again, tell him you asked your cousin if he gave anyone permission hunt, and tell your neighbor he said no. quit being such a nice guy, don't let him think he has the upper hand

• Like 1

Here's the first sign you will have continued problems...When speaking to this neighbor and he went on how he mowed and him and his friends had permission to hunt... Did he once ask you for future recovery rights after finding YOU where now the new owner?......

40 minutes ago, growalot said:

Here's the first sign you will have continued problems...When speaking to this neighbor and he went on how he mowed and him and his friends had permission to hunt... Did he once ask you for future recovery rights after finding YOU where now the new owner?......

Good point ,we have a couple hundred acres next to us that just got new hunters this year , we went over to their camp opening weekend ,we worked out recovery plans and exchanged phone numbers ,super nice guys . The old guys who used to hunt the land we always had problems with, catching him "tracking a wounded deer" showed  up one night during dinner time and had the nerve to ask if we had any extras. The guy and his brothers were a real piece of work.

• Like 1

first 11 acres isn't that much to hunt on. Make sure you try to maintain a workign relationship with the neighbors. Recovery rights are NOT guaranteed. I agrees with the folks here. Enough time has taken place to pull the stand down. Return the camera to the owner and leave a note at the tree. POST the property and read up to do it by the letter of the law. Be honest with the neighbors about your intentions to prosecute trespassers. Give the neighbors your number and discuss how to contact each other to arrange recovery. DO this in plenty to time prior to the season. 

• Like 2

An important question has yet to be asked, are you living at this location if not how far away do you live? If you aren't local and only plan on being there for the occasional weekend these neighbors might turn out to be an asset for keeping an eye on the place. The lease We have in the Catskills we let our neighbor hunt and he kills the first legal buck he sees and is done for the year. But he lives next to the property and keeps an eye on the place.

You're only talking 11 acres. It's not like you will be able to keep deer on that small of a chunk anyways. If the neighbors know you'll only be there on the weekends they will be on it anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Remove the stand you gave them a heads-up. give them the trail camera back leave it at there door step or wait till you see them. Make clear that there is no hunting be polite. When I bought my property went and met all neighboring land owners so far so good. Sounds like you may not be so lucky. The first year I would hunt areas that they may becoming on your property and be visiable to them easy way to get message across. If they do trespass call the cops and call every time after that the LEO will get sick of the calls and and wont be happy with the neighbors that dont get the message, retired nypd or not. Start out nice and let then set the tone as how it goes. Only issue I see is 11 acres is small and even a good shot the deer may wander off of yours property to theres and if a war is started you may be sol in recovering your deer

I agree with that, but you just have to make sure they are DRT. No chasing.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

On 7/13/2017 at 3:00 PM, nybuckboy said:

When I bought my land 3 years ago I put up what my son calls the *sshole sign but worked. I suggest the same about 3'X4' or bigger. It reads:

NEW   LANDOWNER   ALL

PRIOR HUNTING PERMISSION

IS NO  LONGER  VALID

When put this sign up in the summer of '14 I was told that many people had hunted this property over the years and I would probably have trespassers thinking because they have hunted in the past that they still think they can. I can report, that I have not seen one trespasser since I moved here. Note - I do live on the property so I'm sure it makes it easier.

Regarding the sign - I bought a 4x8 piece of luan because it's light and then stencil painted the sign and attached it to 2 2x2s in the ground in 2 places on the property.

Edited by nybuckboy

I recently purchased 11 acres accessed by a r.o.w.  I found a trail cam and tree stand on my land. The stand is facing my pond, only water source around for a bit. I spoke with the neighbor ( only comes up on weekends and during hunting season) he said the cam was his buddies but didn't know about the stand, I told him I was going to take it down if it wasn't removed. 3 months later it's still there. Should I just rip it down? I want to keep things cordial.  
When I first met him he told me all sorts of B.S. about brush hogging my land for years and the previous owner gave him and his friends permission to hunt there. He dosent know the previous owner is my cousin and nobody ever was allowed to hunt there. I don't want to ruin hunting for anyone, how do I deal with this. Thanks

I will try again the best way if
Thing go south there forget about and take down if he clean you property was because he wanted to do I will say thank for there but still is a New xerife on town good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk