No excuses this year...

growalot

They are bringing home my deer fridg today...a big commercial double from what he told me months ago...let the hot weather reign I'll have a place to keep them... now I just have to figure out where it's going...could have used a few days for that but no looking down the throat of a gift horse.

It will be nice not worrying about taking a shot due to weather.

That is awesome! I don't know how many times we haves used my great grandpas freezer room from when he was a produce farmer. It is a 6x6 with 8ft walls room in the barn with a little antique Detroit diesel that runs the refer but t works like a charm! Best part is it will run 24hrs on a couple gallons of fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a big, old GE household fridge that is from the 1950's.  They don't seem to build them to last like that now days.  It does use a little more electricity than the new ones, but I only plug it in when it is warm out and I have deer carcasses to hang.  With all the racks and drawers removed, it will hold two average-sized deer, cut in half behind the rib cage.  I hang the rear halfs from hooks on the top and rest the fronts on the necks on the bottom.   It gets a little tight with two in there, but normally I only need to worry about one at a time.  

Aging those deer at 35 degrees (that's where the old fridge holds them) for about a week (longer for older deer) allows the rigor mortis to work its way out, making the steaks, chops, and roasts a lot more palatable.  Keeping the door closed over that time allows the skinned carcasses to stay fairly moist.   I prefer to hang and age the carcasses with the skins on (that insulates and keeps them from drying out to much on the outside)  in our insulated garage, but "climate change" is forcing me to use that old fridge more and more it seems, especially early in the season.   Hopefully I can get another 50 or so years out of it.  It would be cool to age deer in a hundred year old fridge.

Edited by wolc123

that'll work awesome.  bigger than mine.  having a fridge to put boned out meat has served me well for years.  i don't really dry age because i don't want the loss.  just keep the meat elevated off the bottom within meat totes.  used to keep draining the totes but don't feel it's the best idea, same with trying to use pads at the bottom of each.

5 minutes ago, growalot said:

why a fridge and not freezer for venison though? how long does venison keep in a fridge for?

• Like 1

Warm weather hunting Biz..We actually have 2 big upright freezers and side by side frig/freezer and 1 fridg/ bottom freezer. I like to age our venison and I have passed more deer then I care to think about because of hot weather. Not a big thing on an afternoon hunt...but trying to skin and quarter a deer in hot weather with flies about..well I have a thing about flies..you know that every time they land they crap and lay eggs...WTH!

• Like 1