Early Fall Ahead

Salmon_Run

I have been at camp over the last two weeks and noticed a very early start to the fall.

A fair amount of the trees are showing early color, beach nuts are opening and the bears are becoming nocturnal and scarfing every wild apple and choke cherry they can find. A young buck has a six point rack developed and he has been feeding heavily on the local berry bush plants. I sat and watched him for about 20 minutes eat berry bush leaves as fast as he could chew.

I believe it's looking like an early fall......

Actually, I have noted a lot of leaf turning in August in years past. Many of the more stressed trees really get colored up in August. And this year, the weather has been stressful on a lot of the growing things, trees included.

Larry..astrological date for the equinox.  FALL which was called harvest until the 1600's fell between August and Nov. For it was the time when summer grown crops ,fruits,and nuts were gathered. Then populations started moving to more city life and it was replaced with fallen leaf and shortened to fall. So obviously with different lattitudes,altitudes,and even terrains Fall would have different "starting dates",though it's right on schedual...lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, growalot said:

Larry..astrological date for the equinox.  FALL which was called harvest until the 1600's fell between August and Nov. For it was the time when summer grown crops ,fruits,and nuts were gathered. Then populations started moving to more city life and it was replaced with fallen leaf and shortened to fall. So obviously with different lattitudes,altitudes,and even terrains Fall would have different "starting dates",though it's right on schedual...lol

grow with the knowledge drop. i like it :drinks:

Don't know much about the "astrological date for the equinox" but around here the indications are for a early winter.

Our burning bushes stared turning at the end of July which seems to be a good indicator. We have some Maples beginning to turn early, the golden rod is getting it's yellow tint, and the humming birds are hitting the feeders like crazy. Historically (here) they do that for a week or two before the get ready to migrate

2018-us-winter-weather-map.jpg

They were wrong last year but they may be closer to the mark this year.

Just my opinion^_^

Edited by Steve D

• 1 month later...

Well, so much for that early fall I hoped we would see.

Leaves are mostly changed and dropping, beach nuts and choke cherries have all dropped and not a wild apple to be found near camp....

Let's hope weather changes back to fall soon; no fun having mosquitoes in October...

• Like 2