Do Trail Cams spook deer ?

fasteddie

i've learned it depends on the individual deer. it's something unnatural they notice and that's enough.  i don't think they care so much about the camera so much as they associate it with something bad.  your scent/presence is usually around it or on it.  around now all my cams are moved to a height as high as my 6' stature can reach and angled down.  they definitely pay much less attention to them then.  sometimes you just don't get the most ideal photos.

• Like 4

I have had plenty of deer come up to the cameras out of curiosity . They don't seem to mind them at all . I don't wear gloves or do anything to prevent leaving my scent on the cameras .

I posted the topic because many people think they scare the deer .

• Like 1

They are very curious when young.  The lead doe and weary bucks will avoid them if they smell scent that is unfamiliar or they make noise at night.  Those older deer are smarter and more careful near what they see as danger.  Are these deer brother and sister?  2 year old deer are not very smart or woods wise yet. 

• Like 1

Deer have dispositions just like people.

Some deer will care, some deer will not. Anyone trying to say otherwise is off-base.

I have deer lick cams, but I also have deer turn inside out at a camera. Always and never are two words I don't think should be used often.

• Like 3

It depends. I agree they will scare deer if its a mature buck or mature doe and they notice something odd whether it be scent or a flash that the camera gives off in night mode. I notice sometimes at night when my cameras take a picture sometimes the deer are staring right at the camera when the picture goes off. Some guys i know swear by black out cameras and not flash or red led.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think it's the area...areas where everyone has a cam or 12 out..then you get deer just use to them...go to an area where they haven't seen them don't get a lot of human scent..they'll turn themselves inside out to get away. I have tons of mature buck walk with in inches of my cams and could care less and yes they have returned or gone past one of the others with the same reaction.

• Like 1

Depends on the deer. The older the deer in my experience, they seem to really avoid cameras. They always look very cautious and directly into the cams as they pass the one only time. They Get their pic taken once, they notice the cam and you wont get their pic again until you move it and catch them off gaurd. I try to hang em high and hide them now and point down. Also upgraded to (3) Black Flash cams this year and my (2) 8.5 yr old bucks have yet to notice them which is a plus! But it depend son deer, most doe and young bucks seem to not care, MOST. But the older they get, the wiser. Had a 5.5yr old few years back who loved the cam and would lick, pose and sniff it nearly everyday. I Wish more were like him!! lol    

• Like 2