Non-typical or Typical?

dbHunterNY

What's your fancy?

Back story: I've had a now 4.5 year old on trail cam at one of my hunting spots.  fairly well patterned last year.  he went from a typical to a funky non-typical on one side.  not sure if it's due to genetics and age or an injury.  I know for a fact he was shot at by multiple people.  he's too big and old for the area to get a pass most likely.  just hope his growth isn't stunted and messed up from injury and if passed will be a giant typical next year.

Anyway some that have seen the trail cam pictures said it was ugly and others have said it trips their trigger.  Just curious how many favor the non-typical rack?  its rack is kind of growing on me now.

5 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

I'd love a double drop tine...1 each side so I guess that would be nontypical right?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

yes and that's my wife's requirement for hanging in living room.  seen single around but no doubles.  this guy won't have that though.  if you took one half of a yearling basket rack and jammed it into the middle of the rack off one of the bases, that's what it looks like.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ny hunter said:

As long as he is big and mature.Don't really care either way

this is my thought as well, but given the choice i prefer typical.  I would be lying if i didn't say the one sided racks dont bum me out a little. There was a huge should be 10 last year on our spot but one side was a giant halo spike. It would have been mountable if it wasn't for that, but weird to mount him. We think he survived but dont have pics this year yet. 

love strange racks...one year I had a buck that had what looked like a huge version of Jesus's thorny crown above his head..It was literally a halo of points sticking everywhere and nearly round...I was getting out of the truck and he stepped out onto the road ,15ft in front of me  he was a big big deer and stood looking at me..I said get your arse across the road before someone shoots you...and that's what he did ...crossed right over to our place...though that particular parcel wasn't ours yet. Never saw him again but won't forget him.

Sometimes some peculiarity to the rack give it character and catches everyone's attention. I do think that weirdness can be overdone to the point where the deer looks ugly. But a drop-tine here and there or palmated tines and beams always make the rack unique.

• Like 1

Even though my largest to date is a nearly perfect typical, I do have a thing for nontypicals. Not necessarily lopsided racks, but racks with character with drops, stickers, or something that just makes them unique. Freaks are just as cool to me.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 1

i'd love to add a non-typical to my collection of typical bucks but i'm not going out of my way looking for them anymore,If it happens it happens. I do like the way the more symmetrical ones look,but then again nutty looking racks are unique in there own way.

I tried for this guy for a few years.this year one of my friends is going to give it a shot.

18.png

• Like 2

The buck that I see in my dreams is a narly heavy horned 18" inside spread typical 12pt. He will score 145-150" that is the buck that I have dreamed of for many years. That being said if an ugly old non typical is laying in his bed 30yds from me after I tracked him the odds of him seeing tomorrow are heavily stacked against him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

The buck that I see in my dreams is a narly heavy horned 18" inside spread typical 12pt. He will score 145-150" that is the buck that I have dreamed of for many years. That being said if an ugly old non typical is laying in his bed 30yds from me after I tracked him the odds of him seeing tomorrow are heavily stacked against him.

this one would be a couple points short of that but over 20" wide inside.  doubt he's into the high 140's though.  that's a big rack for around here and what i think many bucks out this way top out at.  this guy isn't done growing, despite he makes it look like a cattle crossing in front of my camera. like going to an auction i'm trying to make my decision to let him walk ahead of time.  otherwise it won't be good for him.

i keep thinking about multiple situations where we had a buck explode after stunted growth.  for example, a 2.5 yr old around here had a stunted spike on side and a typical 4 points on the other.  at 4.5 he blew up into a perfect 10 pt over 150".

at this point i think i'm thinking about antlers too much and should just shoot him if the opportunity presents itself.

• Like 1

i keep thinking about multiple situations where we had a buck explode after stunted growth.  for example, a 2.5 yr old around here had a stunted spike on side and a typical 4 points on the other.  at 4.5 he blew up into a perfect 10 pt over 150".

at this point i think i'm thinking about antlers too much and should just shoot him if the opportunity presents itself.

This is why I hate trail cameras. I am a seat of the pants guy with everything in life especially hunting. The racks mean little to me I just like killing mature bucks. But if I'm in the mood to kill and a 2yr old comes out and makes the hunt fun he is in big trouble.

9 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

This is why I hate trail cameras. I am a seat of the pants guy with everything in life especially hunting. The racks mean little to me I just like killing mature bucks. But if I'm in the mood to kill and a 2yr old comes out and makes the hunt fun he is in big trouble.

i'm not really big on them.  to be honest i only use them on the farm. we have higher standards than those around us.  for all of us who hunt the farm we use trail cameras so we're on the same page as what everyone is letting go or willing to take. it's seemed to work out well for everyone.  farther north or on public land... forget it. i don't even bother.  just scout the old fashioned way when the season nears and is here. different strokes for different folks and even situations i guess.