Whole hog.

mowin

Smoking a 80# hog for neighbors 50th b-day. 

IMG_20170909_065751943.jpg

Injected last night with apple juice, red wine vinegar, onion and garlic powder and a little Cayenne pepper. IMG_20170909_065559615.jpg

On the pit at 7:30 this morning. 

IMG_20170909_072246874.jpg

Running 225-250 with cherry and a little hickory. 

IMG_20170909_070936392.jpg

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

I love whole hog on a pit. I like the set up that you have there. I love the meat around the jaws of the pig. How long do you cook for?

Planning on a 8 hr cook. Give or take a hr... Rule of thumb is 1hr for every 10# when cooking around 225. 

I agree, the jowl meat is some of the best.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TACC said:

Please enlighten me what the pork shots are, never heard of them

They look great

Sent from my 9006W using Tapatalk

Pork shots...

Cut kielbasa into madelions about 3/8 to 1/4" thick.  Wrap with half slice bacon, secure with a toothpick. It helps to cook the bacon in the oven @ 350* for 15 min to tighten it up. 

Fill with brown sugar, and top with your favorite rub. Smoke @ 225* for 2 to 2.5 hrs.  

Thanks everyone...  Had a great time. I've cooked several over a spit, but this was my first attempt at smoking one, and with a new pit to boot...

Grampy, not a beer connoisseur, but the Mikes lemonade and twisted tea sure did taste good...

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Not sure how I missed this but well done man!! I will have to try the pork shots! And am i correct in you precook the bacon not the whole shot right?

And do you hire out for pigs?

Yes on both questions.  Don't cook the bacon too long, as it shrinks to much. You should be able to wrap two pieces of kielbasa with one slice of bacon.  I cook it on a rack in a aluminum pan in the oven at 350* for 10-12 min.

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1