Coyote with it's Dinner

Cabin Fever

Woodchucks are probably the easiest meal for Coyotes to obtain, just lay in wait at an active den for one to come out. I know of dogs that have learned that skill and killed Woodchucks in large numbers. At a NY Houndsman banquet I attended some years ago we had a speaker who was a biologist that studied the Eastern Coyote. They looked at the stomach contents to see what was on their menu and during the warm months of the year almost all had some Woodchuck in them. His exact words were if you chuck hunters wonder why you are not seeing the woodchuck numbers that you once did in years past, this rise in Coyote numbers has a lot to do with it.

As a young fellow I did a lot of chuck hunting and there was no problem finding them in large numbers living in farmer's hay fields in my neck of the woods. These days it is rare to see a Woodchuck standing up in the middle of a hay field,  The only place I do see them which is still pretty infrequent is next to roads and building where they are fairly safe from predators.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

Unfortunately, but that is a healthy looking yote.

Had a coyote on camera the other day behind the house about 50 yards, they are getting bold in my area. My dogs won't take to kind for some wild intruders in the yard. We have also saw a rise in fox dens on our property which helps with field mice but they also kill the rabbits, turkey and grouse in our area. Last year I passed on a big beautiful red fox with perfect boots, not this year I would love to get a full body mount of one.

15 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Unfortunately, but that is a healthy looking yote.

Had a coyote on camera the other day behind the house about 50 yards, they are getting bold in my area. My dogs won't take to kind for some wild intruders in the yard. We have also saw a rise in fox dens on our property which helps with field mice but they also kill the rabbits, turkey and grouse in our area. Last year I passed on a big beautiful red fox with perfect boots, not this year I would love to get a full body mount of one.

FYI don't shoot the fox with a deer cartridge of any sorts. You'll waste a perfectly good animal.

4 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

FYI don't shoot the fox with a deer cartridge of any sorts. You'll waste a perfectly good animal.

haha no I was bow hunting, the reason why I passed him he was a week early before the season started. I have a video of him under me chasing a red squirrel up my tree.

• Like 1