Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

18 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I'm bored time to still hunt, now I wish I had my compound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it’s much easier carrying a crossbow around than a compound. It’s natural to hold the xbow with 2 hands. With the compound it’s one hand and awkward. 

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I think it’s much easier carrying a crossbow around than a compound. It’s natural to hold the xbow with 2 hands. With the compound it’s one hand and awkward. 

I've never hunted with a crossbow, but when I did bowhunt, I always felt carrying the compound bow that I had was the clumsiest thing I've ever had to carry while hunting.  Whether it was the string, sights, arrows, quiver, something always had to get snagged on something walking in and out of the woods.  Was a total pain in the ass.   Can't beat carrying a rifle.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I dunno about that. I think carrying the crossbow is quite awkward. Probably the thing I like the least about it.

It's a nice morning out here but the deer don't agree.

Maybe I carry the compound wrong? 

When carrying xbow, I hold it with both hands across my body like a shotgun or rifle. Something pops up I can shoot quick. 

The compound gets tiring holding with one hand on the grip after a mile or so, then if I switch hands and carry it with off hand I am not in position for a quick shot. 

Not I, I ended up driving home and getting the bow. I absolutely hate carrying a Xbow unless it's on my back. Too heavy, too wide, too cumbersome. Compound by the grip with stablizer along forearm is how I've carried it for 100's of miles. I can nock an arrow plenty fast for any bow show you're going to get still hunting.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I'm glad you find my inability to sit humorous, an hr is about my absolute max I will ever sit in a stand.

That is totally fine,it fits you to be on the ground and actively looking for deer.You seem like an all in kind of guy...

30 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Maybe I carry the compound wrong? 

When carrying xbow, I hold it with both hands across my body like a shotgun or rifle. Something pops up I can shoot quick. 

The compound gets tiring holding with one hand on the grip after a mile or so, then if I switch hands and carry it with off hand I am not in position for a quick shot. 

Have you tried using the release clipped on ,for slow walks it's nice ,obviously if you get in some uneven ground you want a hand free . I always liked using the release clipped on to distribute the weight to both arms and you're already set up to shoot.

• Like 1

Decided to give it a whirl this morning since it was cooler, the rain moving in, and no wind. Of course there were 6 deer in the field I had to cross. Four grazing and two bedded. Soon as I got in the stand the wind stared and got progressively worse so after 1 1/2 hr. I got down & did some scouting. Starting to see rubs. Counted 8 new ones with this one being the best. Won't be long now :imsohappy: Just wish it would cool down a touch more.

IMG_20171011_091317[1].jpg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I am getting soooo impatient. I know,i know,end of the month is when the real fun starts. Can't get here soon enough.

That's why I personally wish they would have left opening day on the fifteenth.  Less waiting and more time for scouting. Now I have to hunt and scout :pleasantry:

• Like 1