HELP Need tuning advice

BowmanMike

So i just got around to trying my fixed blade muzzy bh on my arrows i bought this year amd they end up 3" below my fp at 20 yds. Not cool.

My old arrows were a tad overspined for my draw weight,but they shot the bh better. Now i have a lighter spine arrow and i assume that shows an out of tune bow better? 

I dont have a press or the knowledge to tune things properly,but is it worth trying to adjust the whisker biscuit a touch? And up or down?

And I know this is pretty late to be doing this...

You're saying the very same arrows, with equally weighted broad heads (a cheap scale wouldn't hurt to confirm), consistently three inches below at 20 yards? Seems very strange to suffer such a change in impact as severe as that.

I have read a lot about tuning and I remain convinced a lot of it is like reading tea-leaves. A lot of the guides online don't make any sense whatsoever, and some of them even defy physics.

I do personally like paper tuning a lot because it can give you a snapshot about the arrow's angle in flight. I've also had some marginal success putting a lighted nock on my arrow and filming in slow motion from behind. The nock is highlighted in the low-lighting of slow motion and can pick up stuff like fish tailing.

All that nonsense aside, though, like you said. It's late. If in doubt, just choose an arrow or two as a practice broadhead arrow and adjust your pins (not the biscuit) so that you're hitting nicely at 20 and 30, and forget about it until bow season is over to figure out more precisely what's going on.

2 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Moved it up a little,and it is better. The screws were frozen,stripped the allen wrench heads,so then cut the screwheads square so i could use a wrench with a pipe on it for leverage.

Fun,got them loose finally. 

Its always something ,aint it?

5 minutes ago, reeltime said:

i have found that with my fixed blade heads the blade must be in perfect alignment with the cock feather or I get very erratic grouping, when lined up I can take vanes off each arrow.

How can you align them? When the head stops in the insert,thats it. I don't glue my vanes on myself...

Interesting. My groups are not really erratic though,broadheads hit straight down from the field tips. Just shot at thirty and am 3" low,the field point arrows are touching. Will try to move the whisker biscuit up more tomorrow.

19 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Try a tiny rubber washer behind the bh. I've used thin brass washer a few time as well. Now I fletch and tune at the same time.  

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

Interesting. My groups are not really erratic though,broadheads hit straight down from the field tips. Just shot at thirty and am 3" low,the field point arrows are touching. Will try to move the whisker biscuit up more tomorrow.

No real need to line the BH up with the vanes. Some guys do but it has more to do with the insert squaring up to the arrow. 

I don't bother to line them up but I do tune the crap out of my bow and that includes broadhead tuning. You would find the rest needs to be moved in tiny incremental adjustments the further back you go. When you get to say, 60, it winds up being micro adjustments. The good news is you sound like you are on left to right so it's a simple move up till the BH and FP hit together. 

45 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

I would replace it next year if it were me. I switched away from a WB a couple years back, now I use a micro adjustable drop away.

I think of going to a drop away rest. Actually thinking about a whole new used bow. I am shooting the bear cruzer,the super adjustable combo,because it is my first and i knew nothing. Dont really want to put much into this rig though,and this is the third year for it.

• Like 1

You have to get a broadhead that shoots true like a FP. Not all broadheads shoot where FPs do despite what some people may say. I have rage 2 blade and they shoot like a FP very well. I wouldnt touch the bow until you try a better FP first. That muzzy 100 grains are ok but theres a lot better on the market. Good luck