Grandson's First Squirrel

Took my really pumped up grandson Noah out for his first squirrel hunt this morning using my old Savage 24 combo 22-410 loaded up with 2 1/2  6s. Saw a squirrel right off that got up in the top of an oak full of leaves and could not get a shot. Had a chipmunk present a shot and I let him take that to get his feet wet. Noah then spotted a squirrel run up a large oak tree and we tried to get close for a shot. As we closed in the squirrel came down and made a break for it and Noah took him on the run with a well placed shot for his first squirrel.

20171008_085741.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 19

On 10/8/2017 at 10:23 AM, Pygmy said:

There's a co-incidence, Al....My grandson is also named Noah...He's a tad young to be handling firearms, though....I hope he  takes an intere

Hey Dan I have noticed we have had quite a few things in common.

17 hours ago, BigVal said:

Nice, do you eat the Chipmunks?

No I do not eat Chipmunks, normally that is! I say that because I did go on a Squirrel hunt one time with a bunch of friends and we decided to take not only Grey Squirrels but also Reds and Chipmunks just see see if they were edible. If I remember right everything was par boiled and then soaked in buttermilk and breaded then deep fried.  Some stew was also made. I have to say the Chipmunks and Red Squirrels were every bit as tasty as the Greys and really the only way I could tell the difference  in what type of animal I was eating was the size.

Below is the Savage model 24 Noah used, an older side button model I picked up at the Syracuse Gun Show some years ago, I had the barrels dura-coated and I refinished the walnut stock and installed some sling studs. Because of the versatility and ability to handle different hunting situations it is one of my favorite small game firearms to take a walk with.

Al

002.JPG

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

I had "possession" of a M24 for a couple of years..It belonged to my BIL who no longer hunted

and the front sight was broken off..At his request I had the sight replaced and hunted with the gun for a couple of years..It was in very good shape and I killed rabbits, squirrels and grouse with it.

Eventually my nephew expressed an interest in it and his Dad gave it to him...

A couple of years ago  my nephew bragged to me that he had got $150 for "that old gun" at a yard sale..

I could have wrung his neck !!       Somebody got a smokin' deal on a nice old firearm..