Too exposed?

zeus1gdsm

Looking for opinions on whether this stand is too exposed and I should move it.

About 20 yards off a heavy use trail that crosses from this finger of woods to the bedding area and crab apple grove.

Far off pic is from the game trail.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

43b8060f75000fe4c9363204552cf09f.jpgd5d2d652a839e15cdf95b56f2e7a23eb.jpg41aaf1feb51d6f9dcda7228177517adf.jpg9f406e0aa21da2562ee3194958ec1e0a.jpg

Here's my thoughts, it's the distance away that will nail you...When I hang stands I don't worry about how "exposed" I am up close in shooting range as long as I'm high enough. That said, I do think about the deer fifty plus yards away and just how still I will have to be and if I can see they are looking at me..What would you look like from a distance at deer level? It's usually the deer far away that nail at least me.

I'm actually the wrong person to ask ...Guys here would think I'd never get deer in close with the stands I have...but I have to say ...that picture makes the stand look pretty low to the ground being close to a trail..pics are deceiving
Platform is about at the 12 foot mark.

Couldn't get higher up the tree due to too many large branches.

If you moved your stand up the tree to where the branches go on both sides of you, you would probably be ok. If you like to stand in the stand i think your better off in setups like this, its what I do anyways, blend into tree better. Or as you mentioned 3 split tree would be ok as well. 

• Like 1

Zues ...no possible way to move to the back side to get higher up? ...I know that would change view and shooting position . That said ,is the view similar in that direction and could you position as to get and angle you can easily look over your shoulder? Baring the sun wouldn't be in your eyes.

I think you have a good set up where you are. Why not just cut some branches, and bungy or tie them on the back side of the tree, to break up your outline a bit more. Break up the outline and sit still as possible and I think you will be just fine! Good luck!

I just did that to a ladder stand we moved a few weeks ago, so as not to be sky lined. Will likely hunt that stand opening morning of firearms season.

47 minutes ago, zeus1gdsm said:

280 and large framed

You also have the bear in the tree problem.  Seriously, you should be fine.  You will know if you get busted.  Like grampy said, screw some extra branches in behind you and wear open pattern camo.

1 hour ago, zeus1gdsm said:

Looking for opinions on whether this stand is too exposed and I should move it.

About 20 yards off a heavy use trail that crosses from this finger of woods to the bedding area and crab apple grove.

Far off pic is from the game trail.

43b8060f75000fe4c9363204552cf09f.jpgd5d2d652a839e15cdf95b56f2e7a23eb.jpg41aaf1feb51d6f9dcda7228177517adf.jpg9f406e0aa21da2562ee3194958ec1e0a.jpg

4 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

The sun is the deciding factor. If you have it to your back you'll be ok if it's shining on you you'll be picked off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This right here. 

You could screw some branches in behind you it would help, you could also go lower on the tree so the brush around you sheilds you until they walk out in front of you. Maybe higher so the next branch up is over your shoulder when sitting. It might hinder your shots on that side.

the one thing I like to keep an eye out for at garage sales and in the garbage (especially in the next month and a half) is old artificial Christmas trees. I've used the branches to camo things in. Really worked well in our old built in lumber stands.  drill a hole and stick a branch in. bend limbs how you want them and no need to worry about leaves falling off.  On a ladder or lock on drill holes in a the tree or zip ties work well. 

• Like 2

Problem with going higher up is that to fit the stand (And me standing) I'd have to cut branches 3inches in diameter and lose more cover. I essentially be in the same predicament

I sat as still as possible this morning. Knowing I was probably sticking out.

I guess I'll have to reassess the tree.

Sticks were swinging out away from tree on the way down. Gonna have to reposition the straps.

I'll get in there in the middle of the day in the few days and walk to the other trees to check them out as well.

The entire field has been untouched in the 3 years I've been hunting here.

Have a tripod stand on the other side of it this year for gun.

I had a cam in the small clearing[20-30ft] in the woods to my left. Lots of pics from sunrise and sunset moving to and from the bedding.

There's a perfect tree tall and straight right in the clearing. But the deer move right through it and I'd have no shot into the field.

I  use conduit brackets...screw them.in the tree behind you and start stuffing limbs ..find a beech tree branches with leafs. A specific oak ,name slips me,hold leaves well  They use them as street tree and campus trees..anyways that or plastic strapping..I've also used copper,won't rust.and the Christmas tree idea

22 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

the one thing I like to keep an eye out for at garage sales and in the garbage (especially in the next month and a half) is old artificial Christmas trees. I've used the branches to camo things in. Really worked well in our old built in lumber stands.  drill a hole and stick a branch in. bend limbs how you want them and no need to worry about leaves falling off.  On a ladder or lock on drill holes in a the tree or zip ties work well. 

So you have maple pine trees - pretty unique looking I bet