Your Hunting Bino Size

Five Seasons

For a long time I've only hunted with a nikon 10x25 pair of binos. they're entry level and don't weigh much but they fog easy and I've never felt they were powerful enough. Almost all but 2 deer stands dont require binos at all and my eyes are good. I mostly use them when I hunt fields for turkey in the spring, but they are always in my pack.

so anyhow, i buy this pair of vortex 12x50 binos on sale for $130 unsight unseen. I get them in the mail yesterday and wow the weight difference. They are undoubtedly a nice optic, but I can't imagine carrying them in the pack. At $130 I'm not sure I have to return them as I'm sure they'll have a use, but on the otherhand they're $130 haha.

so question is this. What size optics do you bring in the deer and turkey woods with you?

https://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-realtree-road-trips-wide-angle-10x25-binoculars-8204.html

https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-crossfire-12x50-binocular.html 

Edited by Belo

I love my Vortex Razor HDs. They cost little over 1100 when I got them went with the 10x42. They were awesome on my trip out west last year and I continue to use them hunting here. My next scope will very likely be a Vortex over a Swaro. The glass is as good if not better plus can save a couple sheckles. Sounds like you got a great pair for a great price. Plus their warranty no fault is awesome. You could literally shoot them with a gun and they will send you a replacement pair. Vortex is most excellent in my eyes.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Like firearms for different types of hunting I have acquired different weight, styles and power binoculars for the same reasons. Open open country big game and varmint hunting I will use a good pair of 10X for glassing long distances. If I am doing a lot of walking I like compacts. For the woods it is all about field of view for me, the distances are relatively short so  a good quality 6X or 7X is plenty with as wide an angle as possible. As far as brand I have been using the high end Bushnells for many years with zero complaints.

Al

Leica Trinivoid 8 x 42....They're a bit on the heavy side, but they are high quality, and after using quality binocs it's tough to go back to the cheaper stuff...I bought them back when I was doing a lot of out of state spot and stalk hunts, but they work just as well stillhunting deer in the woods...

• Like 1

8x32 I got real sick of hauling around bigger ones. Now if I'm headed west or hunting a certain rifle spot I'll bring bigger but not for daily local work. In usually trying to pick shit out brush at 50 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up the 8x42 leupold bx3 pro guide for under $300 shipped on eBay.  Testing them side by side with the zeiss conquest, I thought they were very comparable.  Great in low light.  Don't fog.  And size wise, they aren't much bigger than some cheap Nikon 10x25 I have.  If in the market, keep an eye on eBay.   Very nice overall hunting binos.  Easy focus too.  They still sell for close to $600 at the box stores. 

IMG_1241.JPG

8x32 Luepolds.  I can't justify any more weight than that.  I owned a pair of 10x32, and those were great too, but some jackwagon broke into my truck and stole them.  

Anything in the 8-10 power should do you.  I personally wouldn't carry a pair of 42s, but I would love a pair for the truck/windowsill.