First bow kill!

Iluvracks1359

22 hours ago, Iluvracks1359 said:

Just a yearling, but honestly I don't care what anyone says, this was my first kill, and it was a 40 yard double lung shot. Here it is! Killed Saturday 11/11/17 at about 7 am.

20171111_074709.jpg

20171111_110459.jpg

Congrats, That is awesome.  Buttons are the best, especially on the table.  My wife and daughters practically beg me to shoot one every year.   It has been about 6 years since I was able to get that done, but we have been blessed with a few thru the kindness of others through that drought.  A buddy from work shot a nice one for us last year on opening day, and a hit-and run motorist left one at the end of our driveway two seasons before that.   They have been successfully avoiding me lately, but my first bow buck was also a button, along with my first gun buck as well as the only deer I ever killed in the Southern zone late ML season.    I hope you saved the liver.  They are especially tasty and tender compared to those from older deer.          

19 hours ago, sailinghudson25 said:

Congratulations.

Bow hunting harvests can go really well or really bad.   Take clean reasonable ranged shots on calm animals and you'll do good.

I focus on bow season, then take rifle casually, then get back to serious hunting once muzzleloading season comes around.

You know, i used to hunt rifle so hard, and then 2 years ago I started bow hunting and i thought.. my god.. I see so many more deer than during gun season, why haven't I been doing this forever!?!?! The first shot I took 2 years ago with the bow was at a nice buck, i was a rookie probably wasn't even ready to be in the woods yet, and i yanked a 30 yard shot. . .last year I wounded a nice 8, and was never sure of he lived or not til I found him on my camera this year as a 10! At that point I decided to make bowhunting my life this fall. I hunted really hard, saw my buck once, but never was able to get a shot, passed up on a 4 point the same night because I wanted to save my bow antler tag for the 10, and then missed a doe from 30 because I misjudged the distance, all before I finally whacked this lil guy from 40. Even though this was a small button buck, i will say this harvest was even more gratifying than my first buck kill with the rifle. I cant wait to do it again!