Why it’s high time to make peace with crossbow hunting

tughillmcd

I ran coonhounds for years. Believe me, there are feeders and bait piles all over this state. You really are hung up on these crossbows. How does it work when you shoot a deer with a light and a crossbow, you make a perfect shot behind the shoulder, and the deer runs off to the woods. Do you grab a flashlight and expose yourself to the world wandering around in the dark? Or do you try and get it in the daylight when you are in plain sight again. If they are doing it on their own land, I guess it would be easier to get away with and they can tell everyone what mighty hunters they are. 

I think hunters ought to just worry about doing their own thing, being legal, and enjoying themselves. Quit worrying about your neighbors and other hunters. For every poacher caught, there are another dozen that get away with it. And I am pretty sure it is mostly rifles doing it.

I have never even shot a crossbow, and I don't sweat them one bit. I am just glad that if my body starts to give out, I will have an option to go to when I can't draw a bow back. But for me, I enjoy other hunters' successes instead of being jealous. I don't know. Maybe I just look at hunting different than others. I worry more about keeping the hunter numbers up and getting young people into it, and if it takes a cool new weapon like a crossbow to do it, I am for them. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, coonhunter said:

I ran coonhounds for years. Believe me, there are feeders and bait piles all over this state. You really are hung up on these crossbows. How does it work when you shoot a deer with a light and a crossbow, you make a perfect shot behind the shoulder, and the deer runs off to the woods. Do you grab a flashlight and expose yourself to the world wandering around in the dark? Or do you try and get it in the daylight when you are in plain sight again. If they are doing it on their own land, I guess it would be easier to get away with and they can tell everyone what mighty hunters they are. 

I think hunters ought to just worry about doing their own thing, being legal, and enjoying themselves. Quit worrying about your neighbors and other hunters. For every poacher caught, there are another dozen that get away with it. And I am pretty sure it is mostly rifles doing it.

I have never even shot a crossbow, and I don't sweat them one bit. I am just glad that if my body starts to give out, I will have an option to go to when I can't draw a bow back. But for me, I enjoy other hunters' successes instead of being jealous. I don't know. Maybe I just look at hunting different than others. I worry more about keeping the hunter numbers up and getting young people into it, and if it takes a cool new weapon like a crossbow to do it, I am for them. 

How is more crossbow hunting promoting hunting?

I rather hunt with a gun in its own season   or a bow in bow season and a crossbow in crossbow season and muzzle loader in that season.  And if you can not  shoot a bow because of some physical problem get a doctor's note  to use a crossbow in all of bow season .

I don't even know why we are having this discussion exactly since crossbows have a season already  . 

If the bow guys want there own time alone that is there business.  Why do you even care .   I mean if you want more time to hunt deer then maybe you should try to either use a bow or muzzle loader  or get a  doctor's note so you can use a crossbow in all of archery season 

Or try to get the gun season lengthened.  I think that would probably help promote the sport more then anything a,longer gun season . Since its the most popular way to hunt. 

Edited by Storm914

13 hours ago, Storm914 said:

I think guys really just want a longer gun season  . 

If that was the case, they wouldn't be pushing to have another type of bow fully included.

Don't understand the reasoning how physical limitations decide when a crossbow becomes a bow and is allowed. It or either a bow or it is not. If physical limitations means not able to use a bow, why not be allowed to use rifles? Same logic if you don't feel a crossbow is not a bow.

Storm - have I asked you why you use a compound and not a recurve (if you use a compound)?

Yea but how many guys you see hunting small game with a crossbow at 4 am or coming out of woods after dark when u can use a gun more effectively for small game already you would look suspect to a game officer they are not born yesterday . Its about deterrence . You never going to stop everything you know what I mean. 

I’ve got news for you. A poacher does not want to be waiting and blood trailing a deer. They would need lights on for extended periods of time. They prefer a gun. A lone single shot is damned difficult to pinpoint exact direction especially if you aren’t expecting to hear it. “Weapon of poachers”. More typical NYB BS
  • Like 2

And you don't think a poacher will not us a crossbow like a gun  with a,scope   to take a headshot or neck shot to the spine? With a spot light and not have to worry about the sound of a gunshot? 

I think they’ll opt for a 22 lr or mag over a crossbow. Especially a 22 mag. No distance worries, head shot and done
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, SteveB said:

If that was the case, they wouldn't be pushing to have another type of bow fully included.

Don't understand the reasoning how physical limitations decide when a crossbow becomes a bow and is allowed. It or either a bow or it is not. If physical limitations means not able to use a bow, why not be allowed to use rifles? Same logic if you don't feel a crossbow is not a bow.

Storm - have I asked you why you use a compound and not a recurve (if you use a compound)?

If it was up to me I would have the archery season set up on order of difficulty  recurve first then compound then crossbow .

And i have all 3  and have used all three crossbow compound and recurve,  like the compound better then both the crossbow and recurve why because I am better with a compound then the recurve but like the light weight and handling of a compound bow over a crossbow even if it gives you more range. But  I still rather hunt with a gun if  you could do that in all deer hunting season. Seriously

If there was no different seasons how many guys would really use a bow over a gun? Bet you 90% would use a gun  it would be like having bicycles compete with runners in  marathons . 

25 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Stick one out a truck window, take a shot and report back how it went.

2 20 year old kids got busted for doin just that 2 years ago in Bethlehem you know how they got caught they we're video taping themselves doin it and the cop found the cam corder...all they got was a 500$ fine and let go...should have been a automatic loss of license for 5 years in my opinion

• Like 2

2 20 year old kids got busted for doin just that 2 years ago in Bethlehem you know how they got caught they we're video taping themselves doin it and the cop found the cam corder...all they got was a 500$ fine and let go...should have been a automatic loss of license for 5 years in my opinion

Agreed. There is legislation in Albany to increase the fines. Write a letter to support it
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, silent death said:

Yep  not to mention if you do it with a firearm from a car your breaking a whole bunch of laws besides poaching .

So less of a risk for someone to do with a crossbow 

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

So it’s the same for a crossbow.

Don't know exactly because you have local laws that just deal with firearms not crossbows  besides the fish and game laws .

But I can bet you they will slap on a extra charge or trest you more harshly  if you do that crap with a gun  .

Nope, it is still a weapon . I can't even shoot my bow in town because of a neighbor not liking hunting and calling the cops after I had practiced for years down my driveway with a garage for a backstop. The police said I would get a ticket for discharging a weapon in town. I never even thought of such a thing because I thought it just meant guns.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, coonhunter said:

Nope, it is still a weapon . I can't even shoot my bow in town because of a neighbor not liking hunting and calling the cops after I had practiced for years down my driveway with a garage for a backstop. The police said I would get a ticket for discharging a weapon in town. I never even thought of such a thing because I thought it just meant guns.

What state or local law was cited, specifically?  I'd like to read that one.  NY at its communist finest right there!

33 minutes ago, coonhunter said:

You no in this day in age especially in new York anytime you do anything with a firearm they make more of a big deal about it  then if it's some kids playing around with a crossbow.  

On 11/23/2017 at 12:59 PM, Storm914 said:

I think you right about politicians but I think what I said has to do with it also traditionally crossbows have been associated with poaching game . 

Maybe among some but not the majority. The only reason why they would be associated with poaching in NY is from when they were not a legal hunting implement. Just a bunch of nonsense that groups like NYB throw around. 

23 hours ago, Storm914 said:

What part ? I wrote that wrong was not meaning you personally meant in general 

I think guys really just want a longer gun season  . 

I dont Want a longer gun season. I’d actually rather have a shorter gun season. Crossbows are just another type of bow. Make it simple and put all bows in bow season. 

2 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I dont Want a longer gun season. I’d actually rather have a shorter gun season. Crossbows are just another type of bow. Make it simple and put all bows in bow season. 

I respect your opinion but a lot of guys don't feel that way just saying  there are, guys that don't even like compound bows  let alone crossbows in early archery  season .

Here is a joke I heard the  other day ,a recurve hunter picks up his friends compound bow as they are hunting from a ground blind shoots and kills a deer at 100 yards and says nice rifle does it come with a scope ?

Edited by Storm914