Must be a Southern Thang

fasteddie

A friend sent me some videos that some brothers from NC made . I watched the 1st one titled "So You Killed a Deer , Now What ? " The guy did something in the video that I had never seen or heard of before .

After he removed the milk sack from a doe , he cut her all the way to the sternum . He had most of the innards pulled out and I was waiting for him to cut around the butt . He didn't .

He reached way in and grasped the anal cord , squeezed and pulled forward . He did this 2 - 3 times to get anything that was in the tube forward and then cut the tube free and pulled the rest out .

Has anyone used this method ?

For fear of being ridiculed I never mentioned it, but I do the same thing. Always have.

Once the guts are free from the cavity walls and you pull the poop forward close to the exit, you can reach in and cut it free with no fear of any meat contamination. If a turd or 3 fall in the cavity I just pluck them out with no further worries once the poop shoot's empty.

I never like to run my knife around the bung-hole. I reckon deer get the Hershey squirts at times too, so it's just something I stay away from. Alot of times I get back in the carcass and trim out some other loose junk after the guts are removed.

If you take your deer to a processor, they may look at you kinda funny the first few times untill they see exactly what you've done...opposed to what they thought you did. ;)

For fear of being ridiculed I never mentioned it, but I do the same thing. Always have.

Once the guts are free from the cavity walls and you pull the poop forward close to the exit, you can reach in and cut it free with no fear of any meat contamination. If a turd or 3 fall in the cavity I just pluck them out with no further worries once the poop shoot's empty.

I never like to run my knife around the bung-hole. I reckon deer get the Hershey squirts at times too, so it's just something I stay away from. Alot of times I get back in the carcass and trim out some other loose junk after the guts are removed.

If you take your deer to a processor, they may look at you kinda funny the first few times untill they see exactly what you've done...opposed to what they thought you did. ;)

always more than one way to skin a cat.

Dave

The first thing I do is the a-hole.  After that is completely free, I wipe off the knife blade in snow, water or just a dry paper towel if I can.  Then I'll start with the hide, up to the base of the rib cage then down to the plumbing system.

I just wouldn't want to leave any part of the chute in place if I didn't have to.

If you take your deer to a processor, they may look at you kinda funny the first few times untill they see exactly what you've done...opposed to what they thought you did. :D

Same here and never had a problem with tainted meat.

I've always done the same thing. Why fuss around with the thing in the woods? Half the time it's dark when I get to do the job, by headlamp or holding a flashlight in my teeth! That leaves only the bladder to be careful with. It's a lot easier to cut out what you don't want while the animal is hanging up back home.

Same thing as I have always done. Never tainted any meat or had any issues.

• 2 weeks later...

I do similar to this when we have to carry a deer for a long distance.  I squeehie out all the waste. But rather than cutting it off/  I leave about 10" out the tube. I then tie it off.  This way when you carry a deer the blood does not run down your back.

• 4 months later...

First off that butt out tool is a joke. My knife is my butt out tool. I've always cut around the bung hole just because thats how I was taught. I do know though that if another way works there's nothing wrong with that. I learned the hard way on how to take out the milk sac on a doe with out spoiling hind quarter meat with sour milk. I did learn though.

I live in NC now and one thing I noticed down here is many of these southern gents do not field dress their deer. They'll take it back home hang the deer with a gambrel and they'll skin it and then start processing with the guts still inside. I guess thats ok if you process it yourself and immediately but that wouldn't work with me because my deer usually hang for a little while before I can get it to the butcher.

If you let your deer hang at all, you want the anal cavity to be as cleaned out as much as possible...no skin, fat, or excess blood. That is where it will rot. I let my deer hang for a bit before I cut them up. But as soon as I get them home, and hung, I carefully cut around the base of the tail and make sure the hole is wide open.

I hunted in NC for 7 years, TN for a few and never, ever heard of this. Growing up in MT when we killed elk, deer, moose, we cut around the butthole, then tied it off, just as a precaution. Always kept a piece of twine with a slip knot just for it. But in the south, I do see most guys just loading up their kill and taking it straight to the processor. It only cost $5 for them to gut it out, so I guess it wasn't a big deal.