Newsday anti Trukey Hunting Stance

Dave

Well Newsday did it again slanted comments on youth turkey hunting on Long Island. Compared it to violent ulgy behavior that we are teaching our youth to kill innocent wildlife. What do you expect from the liberal news rag. Only presenting one sides opinions all negative. Such SB.

Dave

Good one eddie! aren't most of them guilty tho???

what do you expect  from those who know nothing about the sport. They see it as killing and if that was the case we would all get our game every year... Its those stubborn tree huggers and the wacky un ethical breed of hunters mixed about the hunting community that really bring what we do DOWN in a negative way. We will always be faced with it. If its not one thing for people to complain about its something else. Guns, Hunting, Street racing, Drag strips. Its all the same... People should just mind their own business unless it directly affects them. Want a head line news story? how about the CRAZY rise in gas prices, health insurance and property taxes! thats what they should be crying about lol

I'm not a big fan of Newsday either.  but, i think you guys are going a little off track.  the original article, from April 22, was not slanted at all.  the comments from readers that they printed on April 28 were slanted.  but, aren't these exactly the types of comments that we would expect from the general public- especially here on long island?  in fact, if you scroll down the page from the two negative comments, you'll see four more from people rebutting those comments.  i'm not looking to start a big controversy- but, it seems to me that Newsday printed a decent informational article about the youth turkey hunt, and now we're slamming them for printing the comments that they received about the article.  if Newsday was so 'liberal' and 'anti-hunting', they never would have printed the April 22 article in the first place.

I couldn't get to the article ...but the comments I read were all great and pro hunting...there are always going to be single minded..... my way or the high way types..... getting anger like them does nothing but put "us" in the same category as them....there were some very good positive comments and questions sent out as a rebuttals

I find it amazing that some think allowing kids to apathy in front of a TV monitor viewing fake blood and guts relating life and death ..killing.. as simple as a push of a button is not harmful

That teaching a child what the power and consequences of shooting a real weapon really is...Allowing them with guidance and reverence to life and nature ....to see  real blood and guts in the taking of life. That it should only be done for the benefit of the species and use of the shooter....could possible ever be a bad thing....my Gosh....4-H must be some kind of evil cult then....for it was 4-H.. that taught our kids that bunnies and chicks weren't just an Easter gift no one should give....but  live stock that were raised for food...the cute little pigglets they raised were to be sold and supply a family with winter meat...giving them money toward college...and keeping them strong in mind and body caring for them...not plumping up on a couch wasting their mental potential

I'm not a big fan of Newsday either.  but, i think you guys are going a little off track.  the original article, from April 22, was not slanted at all.  the comments from readers that they printed on April 28 were slanted.  but, aren't these exactly the types of comments that we would expect from the general public- especially here on long island?  in fact, if you scroll down the page from the two negative comments, you'll see four more from people rebutting those comments.  i'm not looking to start a big controversy- but, it seems to me that Newsday printed a decent informational article about the youth turkey hunt, and now we're slamming them for printing the comments that they received about the article.  if Newsday was so 'liberal' and 'anti-hunting', they never would have printed the April 22 article in the first place.

Newsday coverage to hunting and fishing is very limited and we all know why. Sorry must have missed the fine print with the positive comments on hunting. But I did see the well placed negative comments, they weren't in the small print. if it weren't for the first youth turkey hunt on long island there would have never been any type of article at all. And yes lets not make this a controversy Newsday isn't worth it.

Dave

Virgil, I don't know what Newsday you are looking at, I have the April 28,2011 article in hand, page A31. Under LETTERS "hunting is wrong sport for teens" There are only two negative letters and no rebuttals to this.

Dave

Dave, I clicked on the link that Burmjohn listed yesterday- that brought up the comments from Newsday readers that were printed in Newsday on the 28th and that your original post was referencing.  In those comments, there was a link to the original article from the 22nd- this article was perfectly benign in my opinion.  At the bottom of the page from the 28th, there are a bunch of comments from guys rebutting the comments from the anti-hunters.

Found the additional comments they were great. Especially the guy who stated that hunters didn't kill all the game on Long Island , suburban sprawl did. How about all the lawn chemicals that kill animals and fish, they think they had nothing to do with that. They just point fingers at the easiest target the hunters, well we harvest and eat the game, we don't leave them to die a slow death from chemicals poison.

Dave

I couldn't get to the article ...but the comments I read were all great and pro hunting...there are always going to be single minded..... my way or the high way types..... getting anger like them does nothing but put "us" in the same category as them....there were some very good positive comments and questions sent out as a rebuttals

I find it amazing that some think allowing kids to apathy in front of a TV monitor viewing fake blood and guts relating life and death ..killing.. as simple as a push of a button is not harmful

That teaching a child what the power and consequences of shooting a real weapon really is...Allowing them with guidance and reverence to life and nature ....to see  real blood and guts in the taking of life. That it should only be done for the benefit of the species and use of the shooter....could possible ever be a bad thing....my Gosh....4-H must be some kind of evil cult then....for it was 4-H.. that taught our kids that bunnies and chicks weren't just an Easter gift no one should give....but  live stock that were raised for food...the cute little pigglets they raised were to be sold and supply a family with winter meat...giving them money toward college...and keeping them strong in mind and body caring for them...not plumping up on a couch wasting their mental potential

whhaaaaa?  this dudes sermons just keep getting funnier ROTFLMAO ;D  probable didnt even have newspapers where she/he came from.

no matter how you slice it Long Island is a hub for anti hunting groups with big shiney dollars that politicians love.....one of my favorites was the big "deer contraception" to end the cruelty of hunting movement...much like NYC, and you know what they say, if NY city wants it so must the rest of the state :(

screw all this crap, i'm goin turkey huntin, seeyaaaa!

I often wondered just what a person's attitude toward hunting would be like when they are raised in a big city without ever having any exposure to hunting or other outdoor activities, or even any interaction with nature at all. I wonder just how easy it might be for such a person to develop an anti-hunting mentality. With all the meat products coming in nice sanitized little styrofoam packages, and the only media (news, radio, movies, etc.) treatment of wildlife being fuzzy little cute animals that can actually carry on conversations and deal with each other with emotions and always coming from a euphoric place of peace and tranquility where they all live idyllic lives, concluding by dieing peacefully in their sleep of "old-age"...... except for those terrifying encounters with the EVIL HUNTER. Suppose all these images were stuffed into your head since birth by everyone of influence in your life including parents, teachers, politicians, and even peers and classmates. Can you imagine the kinds of grisly images that would develop in your head whenever the word hunter or trapper was mentioned. It's an interesting thought because I believe that there have been several generations that have been raised in exactly that way. So when we think of these anti-hunting wackos, it is useful to also think of what forces in their lives made them that way. I believe that the key to combating anti-hunters and at the same time improving the hunter population decline lies somewhere in understanding the forces and psychology that turns a non-hunter into an anti-hunter and working through well supported groups towards discrediting those influences. This is not something that we can do standing alone on a one-on-one basis, but really does take the power of pro-hunting organizations and our individual support of those organizations. There is a whole cultural force of society that is moving against us and has been for decades and it's not just the organized anti hunter organizations alone. As long as we all believe that we can afford to nit-pick our own hunting advocacy organizations and finding all kinds of reasons to not join or even worse yet, spending great time and energy bad-mouthing them, that societal movement against outdoor sports will continue to accelerate. I guess it's our choice.

Sits in trees ...let me make this very clear to you....I don't give two cents whether you like or dislike what I say....I have even less concern for the foolishness that you spew at my opinions....You have some sort of problem and I feel sorry for you. If for some odd reason you think these nasty little comments will cause me to magically feel offended and stop posting here...well my dear you are so beyond wrong

To you other guys...... my apology for not saying this to him in a PM...but I felt it should be out in the open so there are no future misunderstandings on where I stand on this situation.....Thank You 

Sits in trees ...let me make this very clear to you....I don't give two cents whether you like or dislike what I say....I have even less concern for the foolishness that you spew at my opinions....You have some sort of problem and I feel sorry for you. If for some odd reason you think these nasty little comments will cause me to magically feel offended and stop posting here...well my dear you are so beyond wrong

To you other guys...... my apology for not saying this to him in a PM...but I felt it should be out in the open so there are no future misunderstandings on where I stand on this situation.....Thank You

oh i see dear, you can throw an unjustifiable attack on me on a totally unrelated topic in the recent past but it's totally unacceptable when someone does it to you HUH? but i couldnt expect more from a chest pounding narrow minded person such as yourself :)

Short memory ...you started this ridiculousness back when I made my stance on cross bows known....granted you sucked me into to this sorry mental waste of time and I take no pride in it ...just letting you know I'm here to stay...I will not waste mine nor others time responding to your warped sense of gratification again.............