Internet Speed

The_Real_TCIII

I had it out with spectrum last week about the rate increase....then was told I was still under a time Warner bundle and was getting 20 mbs internet speed....i had them switch me to spectrum and they guaranteed 100....what site did you use for the test? I will run one when I get home.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have the slowest internet speed that Spectrum allows... 15mbps... it actually tests much higher... in the 20's for download and about 5-6 mbps for upload. You only need 5 mbps download speed to stream. I haven't had an issue since I went cable free and stream full time... even with my wife and I using the internet at the same time. The only issues I have had are when we have a house load of people and everyones phone connected to the wifi at once... which seldom happens. 

How do you guys check? I have directTV but use fios for internet. From what I’ve been told there is no difference between say 50 and 75Mbps. I only use internet for WiFi on smart phone. I don’t stream or download anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Wowza!

We've only had Fios for about a year (?) and it has been superb.  I was tortured (maybe not the best word for it) by DSL for MANY years.  I fought the upgrade until one day the bastids pulled the plug on the DSL......I was left holding my d*%$ for a about 4-5 days until the tech's could fit me into their schedule.

Not a single problem since but I pay for it.  Grin.....

• Like 1

How do you guys check? I have directTV but use fios for internet. From what I’ve been told there is no difference between say 50 and 75Mbps. I only use internet for WiFi on smart phone. I don’t stream or download anything

I googled and found this?

b64ba3731f9608481e70fe68bb50f216.jpg

Good question I didn't know it could even be tested til I saw this thread 

Same. And I asked about upgrading from 50 to 75 once and they told me no point. Even up to 100 wouldn’t matter they told me. It’s all so close I guess

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

I had it out with spectrum last week about the rate increase....then was told I was still under a time Warner bundle and was getting 20 mbs internet speed....i had them switch me to spectrum and they guaranteed 100....what site did you use for the test? I will run one when I get home.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OOkla

32 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

From what I know they only guarantee the 100 wired to the computer not over WiFi I also think it has something to do with the equipment as well. I don’t remember exactly but@the_real_tcIII you getting shafted either way. I have the 100 and usually get in the 80’s when I test it over WiFi.

Does the device matter? Ive got a pretty old laptop. I dont let them upgrade me because its such a hassle but maybe its time

5 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Does the device matter? Ive got a pretty old laptop. I dont let them upgrade me because its such a hassle but maybe its time

Yes and no.  You're only as fast as your slowest link but now a days you're stuff has to be ridiculously old not to support 100 Mbps.  10 Mbps was already ancient 20 years ago.

• Like 1