opening day trout season

Robhuntandfish

Went out today to the beaver kill. I couldn't get a single confirmed bite. My fly was pretty messed up after one of the possible hits. Don't really know the trout fishing game, so I think I'm going to strike out on Thursday, but if anyone wants to come by and show me a thing or two your more then welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went out today to the beaver kill. I couldn't get a single confirmed bite. My fly was pretty messed up after one of the possible hits. Don't really know the trout fishing game, so I think I'm going to strike out on Thursday, but if anyone wants to come by and show me a thing or two your more then welcome.

I'd like to catch up with you this spring, I'll be driving through a couple times
  • Like 1

Were you fishing dry flies? Unless you see something coming off I'd fish nymphs on the bottom in this lousy weather
  • Like 2

Were you fishing dry flies? Unless you see something coming off I'd fish nymphs on the bottom in this lousy weather

Nymphs and a streamer. Stonefly, pheasant tail and hares ear. I'm sure there was something wrong with the way I set it up.

If you're bouncing them, you're doing it right. These are really tough fishing conditions I don't think it's you

I'll take a picture of my set up when I get home and you let me know what you think of it. Combination of tough conditions and not knowing what I'm doing isn't the best lol

40 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

If you're bouncing them, you're doing it right. These are really tough fishing conditions I don't think it's you

It's tough enough catching trout on bait under these conditions....Tougher with flies...I fished worms this morning for about 3 hours in very confined water that I am intimately familiar with, and I only had 3 hits... I   concur with Real on the bouncing...This time of the year, if you're not ticking bottom, you're not fishing where the fish are..

• Like 1

I'll take a picture of my set up when I get home and you let me know what you think of it. Combination of tough conditions and not knowing what I'm doing isn't the best lol

If you're not losing nymphs you're not fishing lol, should be ticking the bottom and hanging up. Don't be afraid to put weight on. Are you using an indicator?
  • Like 1

If you're not losing nymphs you're not fishing lol, should be ticking the bottom and hanging up. Don't be afraid to put weight on. Are you using an indicator?

Well I lost three so does that count haha. I put a split shot about 6 or so in he's above the fly to get it down. Should I place it higher up?

I’ve never fished nymphs that aren’t beadheads, could be they’re still off the bottom? I’d still chalk it up to miserable fishing conditions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Your guess is as good as mine. I'm going to try the neversink tomorrow. Looks like the water temps are a little warmer there

Even a degree can change everything, I like to wait until later in the day this early in the season. Especially if the sun is out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah I'm only going now because I'm on spring break. I usually go down to FL to fish, but we're closing in a house so we couldn't go down this time. Sucks because the pompano fishing was really taking off. I'm just doing this to pass some time and maybe catch a fish

1 hour ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Yeah I'm only going now because I'm on spring break. I usually go down to FL to fish, but we're closing in a house so we couldn't go down this time. Sucks because the pompano fishing was really taking off. I'm just doing this to pass some time and maybe catch a fish

Well youre passing time in some iconic streams!