I got the fever bad....

Robhuntandfish

This morning was up at 5:30 had breakfast and realized I have spring fever bad.  It's 20 degrees out, boat is still in storage, lake is covered in ice but I am damn ready!   One pile of tackle and poles for drift fishing for walleyes and perch on Oneida, one pile for a northern pike Adirondack day trip, and my Turkey stuff

....ready for action.

rps20180408_093831.jpg

rps20180408_093815.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

When does walleye open on Oneida anyway? It’s too early yet anyway right? 

Walleye is the first Sat in may.  I am fishing a lake in the dacks on the opener for northerns .  Hoping the ice is off it by then..  but if oneida opens up want to get boat out and running and maybe work on some perch

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Walleye is the first Sat in may.  I am fishing a lake in the dacks on the opener for northerns .  Hoping the ice is off it by then..  but if oneida opens up want to get boat out and running and maybe work on some perch

tournament May 20th I think.

3 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

tournament May 20th I think.

Yup the big walleye trail tourney is the 20th.  Local tournament on opening weekend. I usually don't fish them as a lot of times th weather blows the lake out.  But I have every Monday off in may to make long weekends for fishing and turkey hunting.  Can't wait.  

3 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

I love Oneida for Walleye, haven’t fished it in about 5 yes though. What do you like to use for walleye and northern? I would love to try flies for northern at some point but it’ll probably wear out my shoulder by end of day 

I use mostly worm harness with spinner and if real light wind I will use a floating jigheads with a worm.  

I know a guy that fishes the canal system with a fly rod for northerns. Seen him out near Rome and have talked to him a couple of times.  He uses large streamers and def a lot of casting. 

For northerns I use large spinners and stick baits .  The two biggest northerns I've even gotten were on a jr thunderstick. 40 and 43".  But have caught big ones on 5 inch bombers, large spinners and even got a 39.5 " in the canal on a big buzz bait once.  

3 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Oh ok, you like to troll in Oneida then? 

Yeah, that’s probably what I would do is use large streamers. When I spin fish, probably would use spoons for Pike although stick baits are good too for sure 

I usually drift fish.  Sometimes if not enough wind will slow troll with trolling motor.  

4 minutes ago, mowin said:

Never had walleye.  Ice fished Oneida yrs ago, but only caught a couple small ones. Long drive for me. 

Walleye is just like perch.  I usually fish for both as some of the perch are almost as big as the walleyes.  Never really catch any monster eyes out of oneida it seems .  Used to get some huge ones in the st Lawrence.  

Yep, fever burning bad here too.  Have already been through all my turkey hunting gear a few times and have been working the calls for a few weeks now. Been through all my fishing gear countless times too...which is dangerous because I just keep hitting the store and adding to it. Have started hitting the spring trout run so easing the fever a little bit (Caught a decent 6 - 7 pound brown Friday after work) but my true fishing passion is tossing line for pike and bass...So, yes the fever keeps burning here too!

• Like 1