Don’t see WW 2 basic training photos every day

turkeyfeathers

Recently came across these. Lost my Pop recently. He never talked about where he was in WW2 to me or my older siblings. I once found a grenade medal in his drawer looking to borrow his tie tack when I was about 10. I respect his decision to not acknowledge verbally where he was but now I need to know. The most gentle and kindest man who I’ve ever known. Guessing deep down he was also hiding from some terrible memories. 

Marines 

0867AC23-3C89-4064-ACE6-C20821ECCC97.jpeg

• Like 14

My Dad was also in WW2 and then Korea.  He didnt tell a lot of stories about it , but did tell me about when he got in.  It was towards the end of the war and he joined the Army cause he didnt want to be out on a boat as much.  So he went thru basic and they put him on a boat and sent him to Hawaii.  He said that was prob 3 of the best days in his life.  Then he got on another boat and they headed for the Pacific scene.  Then they were told there was a blockade so they turned and went back and were in the panama canal.  The ship stopped and they didnt move.  The Bomb was being dropped and everyone stayed in their place.  Then they went back the way they just came and headed for the pacific.  He spent the first 3 months on a boat - just what he didnt want. But they then went over to Okinawa.  The war was over but as he said the japanese on those islands didnt know that. He said once there were there some terrible things that occurred and he saw.  Then later went onto Korea.  

I have some old pics and a few stories he told me. But I cant imagine anything like that.  The greatest generation for sure!!  

cool pics! 

• Like 1

Jay,

My sincere condolences to you and your family, on the passing of your Pop. You are a shining example of him. No doubt, he was so proud of you.  R.I.P.

Those are great pic's of a long ago, tough time, and tougher man. A google search should help you with info, I'd think.

• Like 1