Aluminum Arrows

Dave

".....is there a benefit to switch to the carbon?"

Carbon doesn't bend like aluminum, so it is slightly more consistent. I made the switch last year with the newer bow, I feel like I have better consistency at longer range's but that is only an opinion. Carbon arrows have made significant imrovements in their quality over the last few years, the biggest to me was the increase in weight, although there are plenty of light carbon arrows on the market. I prefer a heavier arrow.

Like Steve said, aluminum is cheaper.

I switched to carbon 6 years ago and am still using the same dozen arrows i purchased back then. they are much more durable than aluminum. I use to buy a half dozen xx75 every year for hunting and would switch my old hunting arrows for parctice. Although they are cheaper i would of bought 3 dozen in 6 years and i have been using my 1 dozen carbons all that time, and am continuing to use them. Its personal preference but i am quite happy with my savings in equipment(arrows) over the last 6 years. and for only about double the price of a doz high quality aluminum. I want to shoot the straightest arrow i can and carbons have proven much more durable. i have shot 8 deer with the same arrow(different and resharpend broadheads though..don't think anyone can say that with aluminum!)

Can any compound bow use carbon arrows or is it for newer bows? I have a Golden Eagle about 7 yrs old when I had the string changed last year I asked if it would be better to switch to carbon and the guy in the bow shop told me to stay with the aluminum because of the bow I had, does that make sense to you guys?

Dave

he was probably refering to the fact is is slower and less powerful than the new ones and you would get relatively the same performance at a lower cost using Alum arrows. any bow can shoot them. You can put High Grade gas in any car but probably not going to notice  any benefit from the additional cost in a '74 beetle :P

he was probably refering to the fact is is slower and less powerful than the new ones and you would get relatively the same performance at a lower cost using Alum arrows. any bow can shoot them. You can put High Grade gas in any car but probably not going to notice  any benefit from the additional cost in a '74 beetle :P

Culver , I shoot a 2315 aluminum 31" arrow would a carbon arrow come off the bow faster than the aluminum?

Dave

you could by a carbon that equals the stiffness of what you are shooting and could get one lighter. that alone would pick up your speed and flatten it out. Personally I try to shoot the lightest arrow I can that keeps me in a the recommended stiffness. A lot of folks like heavier arrows for penetration but I have never shot a deer over 25 yards so penetration has never been a problem. (except for the one season I used a mechanial Broad head) Only deer I have not passed through on.

you could by a carbon that equals the stiffness of what you are shooting and could get one lighter. that alone would pick up your speed and flatten it out. Personally I try to shoot the lightest arrow I can that keeps me in a the recommended stiffness. A lot of folks like heavier arrows for penetration but I have never shot a deer over 25 yards so penetration has never been a problem. (except for the one season I used a mechanial Broad head) Only deer I have not passed through on.

Culver thanks for the info and all who responded thanks.

Dave

Yup! I still shoot aluminum arrows. I have a collection of them that takes both hands to get your fingers around. Sure, some of those are tournament sized arrows for competition. But the hunting arrows that I have are sized correctly for my bow, shoot perfectly out of most of my bows, kill deer, and hit the bullseye. I really don't know what more you can ask of an arrow. But anyway, I have more arrows than I will ever destroy for the rest of my life, so I seldom throw money around just to get rid of it. So until I can find any reason to change, Arrows will probably never be on my shopping list for the rest of my life.