If you had a choice of states.....

Doewhacker

If you could pick a state to move to which one would it be and why?

We have been seriously considering it for a while now but would like to wait 5 years so the kids are a bit older (7+2) so its easier on them. But I can't decide which one to go to, South Dakota, Iowa, Illinois...too many choices. We have been taking into consideration cost of living, weather, (I don't like tornado's) hunting and terrain. The job part is kind of easy for us, she is in health care and I am in a big company that manages stuff for other companies like hospitals and colleges.

What do you guys think?

New York isn't perfect, but I don't think any place else is either, and I think job opportunities in general are better here in most all fields.  Hunting isn't too bad and the weather isn't either compared to many other states.  Not likely that a tornado or flood will take your house away like it has been in many parts of the nation recently.  NY is also quite a beautiful state scenery wise.  It has a little bit of everything.  Go to the midwest and the landscape is pretty much the same any which way you look.  I guess if I had to pick a state, I would pick Montana or Wyoming, basically for it's stunning scenery and diverse wildlife.  I surely would not like their long cold winters, however.  I like to see moderate to warm temperatures more often than snow and ice.  Southern states like Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, the Carolinas are pretty, but I would never live in the south.  I have nothing against religion, but I just don't want to be harassed by the bible thumpers down there, be it in every day life, radio, TV, etc.  Me and my wife did a trip to the Smokies a few years back, and I couldn't begin to tell you how many times we were asked if Jesus is our Lord and saviour, even on a freakin hiking trail!  Just not my cup of tea.

" I guess if I had to pick a state, I would pick Montana or Wyoming, basically for it's stunning scenery and diverse wildlife."

Thats what I'm talking about, you can hunt a long list of animals out there. And the winter we had this past year was certainly a tough one but I think I would still take that over the heat of the south any day of the week.

The cost of living is really a big part for me too, 30% cheaper is alot over the term of my life. In one part of Iowa the housing was 44% cheaper than here, so in theory I could sell the house and find one there and some land for what I paid here for a house on .9 of an acre.

What I find impossible to measure is quality of life, like you alluded too. Is it really better in one spot or another, or is it just that a guy might be happier because of his hobbies are playing a bigger role in his life some where else. "Life, libery and the pursuit of happiness" with a heavy emphasis on the pursuit of happiness bit.

Doe, I feel the same about moving out of New York too expensive to live here anymore. I was looking into Pennsylvania they have a very friendly tax structure when you retire. First no state tax, they don't tax your pension or 401k plans. Second the taxes are much lower, flat sales tax 6% for most parts of the state. Property taxes less than half of what I am paying. So for me it would mean about a grand a month savings, with that savings I can book a nice hunt every year. Plus the hunting in Pa. is as good if not better than N.Y and you are not too far from N.Y if you have to visit.

Dave

True, I think the cost of living is cheaper in many places, but salaries can be considerably lower also, so I think people end up in the same boat in the long run.  It would be interesting to know how many people end up with more spending money and savings once they move out of NYS.  I think the people who are wasteful and don't know how to save a buck won't be any better off no matter where they decide to move.  If one is cautious and not wasteful, they can do well in NYS also. 

First of all, I enjoy plopping my butt down at the base of a tree in the woods without worrying about some poisonous snake sinking hi sfangs into that butt. I also like to reach into a drawer that has not been opened in a while without worrying about some spider injecting some flesh-rotting venom into my hand. I also like a climate that does not reduce my home and all my belongings to a three foot high pile of kindling. I also like to live in an area that doesn't fill up with water up to the soffits for as far as the eye can see. I also am at an age where I don't like to have to use ropes to repel back down the hill to get home. I also like to have a climate that provides a growing season that is long enough to have a shot at a garden (this year is not a real good example of that in NY .... lol). For the most part, my little chunk of NYS satisfies all those wants and needs. Not too many other states satisfy all those requirements.

But anyways, I had to face the same decision back when I retired. After weighing all those things that are important to me, I find myself today still sitting here in NY. Sure I still gripe about NY politics and taxes. But I'm sure I would find those same things and others to gripe about regardless of where I moved. There also is something to be said with "dealing with the devil you know". I'm too darned old to be out dredging up a whole new set of things to whine about. I might also mention that my family and friends and entire social network resides and exists here. That's always kind of handy and many times has to be a consideration.

For the most part, I have learned to appreciate the truth in that saying that "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence". Maybe it actually is, but I will leave that for others to discover. I have spent a whole lifetime learning to cope with NYS and all it's problems. It's not really all that bad.

Of course you didn't post your question to find who agreed with your decision to move, but I guess I'm simply not in a position to tell anyone what states are better to live in. I haven't really been able to find one.

Doc, it all depends what part of the state you live in, some have much higher taxes than other and that is something to think about in the future. I am also retired and the school taxes are killing me where i live. I find it hard to support the teachers and their pensions that are guaranteed by NYS. State workers who retire may no state taxes, what's up with that? Then they raise our taxes to cover the shortfalls. Sorry for rambling this is a never ending story of Long Island. But I love my house on 20 acres up state it's my sanctuary.

Dave

Doe- If you want tho throw one factor in that "quality of life: column to consider.....Many states that have it better than us in the taxes department really sucks in the education department. (Not that I am a fan of NY's but it is better than quite a few). Something to consider with the little ankle biters following you there.

If you are really considering it I would list the top 20 things most important to you and your wife. and evaluate. VA used to have free state college for residents...not sure if that is still there or not. I love NY myself and until my daughter is out I wouldn't consider moving.....aside form the liberals....the govt.....the taxes....the potholes....lol

I might also mention that my family and friends and entire social network resides and exists here. That's always kind of handy and many times has to be a consideration.

That is an excellent point.  I work with many people who are originally from other states.  Each year they use most of their vacation time to go back and visit family they miss on holidays and at other times of the year.  With a good many vacation days used for such purposes, they have very few left to pursue hobbies, travel, etc.  So time for the pursuit of happiness (hunting) will be curtailed when one moves far away from family. 

"True, I think the cost of living is cheaper in many places, but salaries can be considerably lower also"

Actually for me at least the salary ranges go up by a good portion due to the lack of a hiring pool in rural America, now if I swung a hammer for a living I might be up a creek but my company list's the pay range and even offer ALOT for moving in certain situations which is a huge perk.

Doc, you need to get out more my friend lol. I love to travel (hence camping trips all over) so for me it wold be not so bad to move and adapt some where else. I'm not alone by the way, lots and lots of NY'er's are leaving our state for some of the same reason's I have listed.

As far as the family part goes, thats a whole nother thread..haha I think there is a chance my family would follow me out to where ever I landed, not because I am that great but because we are all kinda of the same mind set. I guess I get that wanting to go feeling from my dad. Although he is like you Doc, never leaves his chunk of the woods and never really been any where west of Niagra falls. (Well I know you have traveled based on other posts but you get the idea)

And Culver thats an excellent point, however, people have been bringing kids up in the mid west for centuries and alot of them turn out just fine. I must admit that my son has ADHD and Assbergers so finding somewhere that he can get the care he needs may be difficult but I really don't know, I'm assuming the bigger cities would have the appropriate care givers? Thats going to be my wifes job to reasearch..haha I will worry about cost of living and hunting and she can do the rest... ;)

My wife would handle it also. My list will be different in a a few years as my daughter moves out. then I can really evaluate if I want to be somewhere else. hmmmmm. I don't think my wife would buy going to Alaska....perfect...that is my new destination ;)

Really though....If I were single, that is where I would be. I'd live in a cardboard box if I could have access to up there year round.

I have to tell you if you are serious about moving do it now. I doubt your seven year old will be agreeable in five years. Just finishing grade school and looking to start high school with friends they have had all their life. Second grade is easy to transfer into a new school. JMHO Good Luck.

I think Montana is a sportsmans paradise... and the mountain scenery is beautiful

x2

We took a trip for my graduation present. We traveled through Utah, Wyoming, and montana. I believe the most interesting was Montana and Wyoming, Theres nothing like having to stop for buffalo to cross the road.

If you could pick a state to move to which one would it be and why?

We have been seriously considering it for a while now but would like to wait 5 years so the kids are a bit older (7+2) so its easier on them. But I can't decide which one to go to, South Dakota, Iowa, Illinois...too many choices. We have been taking into consideration cost of living, weather, (I don't like tornado's) hunting and terrain. The job part is kind of easy for us, she is in health care and I am in a big company that manages stuff for other companies like hospitals and colleges.

What do you guys think?

born n breed New Yorker, no better place, seen too many leave and return, other states just don't have what we have right here...

born n breed New Yorker, no better place, seen too many leave and return, other states just don't have what we have right here...

I agree very much.  I will leave the other states for my vacations.  It would be great if we could hunt, fish, camp, hike, etc. and not have to worry about work, family, life and everything else.  Things just don't work that way unless you are filthy rich. And in most cases becoming filthy rich will be even less likely in another state.  I would bet that way MORE people moved into NYS and became better off than the other way around.

"At No.1 on our list, New York is expected to wave goodbye to 49,000 more people than it gains this year. The state has seen a steady loss of residents over the past five years, losing an average of 100,000 people per year. Karp explains that, because New York is a large state, it may report greater movement than others, but notes that population size is not the only reason residents are fleeing."

"More people are leaving New York than any other state, new population estimates from the U.S. Census show, making it one of America's most stagnant populations.

Experts blame the exodus — nearly 1.5 million people have moved out of New York since April 2000 — on high property taxes and fewer jobs, among other factors...

The Census study said New York's population grew by about 1.7% between 2000 and 2007, and now stands at about 19.3 million people. The population has grown slightly, according to the data, because birth rates are higher than death rates and foreign immigrants continue to pour into New York City."

"The Census Bureau now ranks New York the eighth-slowest-growing state, behind Massachusetts, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Rhode Island, West Virginia, North Dakota, and Louisiana. Although no new data are available for New York City, researchers say the city has fared better than the state because foreign immigrants are replenishing its population."

We are getting new blood in the state more than we are people moving here cause its so great.

"The Census Bureau now ranks New York the eighth-slowest-growing state, behind Massachusetts, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Rhode Island, West Virginia, North Dakota, and Louisiana. Although no new data are available for New York City, researchers say the city has fared better than the state because foreign immigrants are replenishing its population."

I would be cautious about this stat.  Other states may have shown more growth, but that may not mean a heck of a lot.  States that have been down in the dumps may show more growth, but economically are still well behind the states listed above.  Even if they are in a boom for a while, it is unknown if they will continue to go that way.  States like NY have historically been at the upper end of the spectrum and it is highly unlikely they will ever be in the bottom.

Especially the illegal immigrants. Who pays for that?

Dave

Are you talking about illegal immigrants who move into NYS?? NYS is surely not the only state they move into, and this is a whole other topic in my opinion.

Steve just responding to your statement, and you were talking about NYS. That's what I was referring to. Illegals are better off to. I hope to be one of those moving out in the next few years.

Dave

In the May 2011 issue of Outdoor Life magazine they have an article on the best towns in America for Sportsman to live in.  They rank many factors in their decision such as hunting and fishing opportunities, plus cost of living, taxes, gun laws, job opportunities, household incomes, schools, unemployment, quality of life, etc.,etc.

The #1 town on the list is Bend, Oregon.  #2 is Pinedale, Wyoming.  NY has only one town on the list, at #98 is Saratoga Springs, NY.

Get a copy of the magazine and check it out.  It answers the question first posted in this thread very well.