Trying To Figure Out A Way.....

DirtTime

For about 4 years now, I have been trying to figure out how to get a hunting/camping trip on the private land I have access to in the lower NZ. It's usually rain that kills the trip. I think I figured it out now.

I want to start by saying, when I make a comment about some things, it's because being prepared for a tent camping trip can be tedious. Especially in the woods, not in a campground. Precipitation, temps, shelter, wood -and a way to process it- source, water, food and how to cook it all come into play. You can't play Daisy round a lolli-pop. I don't do full on back-country camping any more, and I miss it. But I still have places I can use a sled or even just take my time and make a few trips to get gear in and out. It sucks to have bad health and love the outdoors. It is what it is.

So, lets get to my point. The camp we have set up on my buddies parents land has an area that's flat we and have a nice fire pit. But, the only spot near the camp that's flat enough for a tent is 15 feet from the fire, and it works out great for the 9x9 I bought for us to use up there. There's no room for a tarp if it rains though. Last Summer, my buddy bought a 9x7 that fits his cot and gear perfect. So that brought up a dilemma for me. He will be setting his tent up near the fire, and I will have to set up 30 yards back. To be honest, I'm good with that.

So, as I am looking at tents, the same thought occurs. Weather, mainly rain. So, I have been looking at tents. I need to have something that has enough room for us both to hang out and play a game of chess or just be out of the rain. I have tarps, But like I said, they won't work in the main camp area.

So, I am thinking about this tent:

https://www.amazon.com/Comfortable-Spacious-Durable-Modified-Electrical/dp/B07CDCPH1D

Plenty of room for my sleeping area, I have room for the bow and arrows without worrying about them getting messed up, plenty of room for my cot, enough room for a small table and setting up an area for the Buddy Heater.

Anyone have any thoughts how to make this set up better?

Set up the tent and put a large tarp over the tent. It will keep the tent dry and give you an area around the tent that is dry so you can set up a table, etc. out of the weather. You can throw some quilted moving blankets over the tent and under the tarp to help keep in some heat. I use the cheap moving blankets from harbor freight. Although if you are packing all this in it may be too much to carry? Just a thought. 

The feedback is very much appreciated. It's nice to get advice and hear what other people think.

I have a canopy, 10x10, and really don't want to buy another one. Even a pop-up style. I also have a bunch of tarps. A few 12x16, the huge 25x30 we put over the canopy when we are doing week long trips ( the tarp is actually big enough to put over the canopyand it covers three sides, steak it down and it's just about bomb-proof with wind and rain ). I also have a system for putting tarps over a tent and making a vestibule over the front of the tent if the tarp is allows it.

My only issue with using tarps in a situation like this is the set up and break-down time. I want to set up fast and make take-down time fast.

Yes, for the most part it's haul in. When I had my quad it was easy, drive right up to the site. Sold my quad a few years ago to buy a rifle, but I can drive my truck to within about 200 yards of the site, then the rest has to be hauled. Like I mentioned, even in Summer, a plastic sled to haul gear will work. I just don't want to get carried away.

The tent I have now still works great. the tent material itself is still water proof after I treated the surfaces and seams twice. But the poles are really getting weak now. I mentioned this a while back in another thread. After last weekend, it's time to do something. The cost of replacing the poles and shipping are almost as much and just replacing the tent. So I keep looking at options.

Please keep the feedback coming, links to tents in the same price range you have used, small tables that are cheap to play board games on...

Our old golf dome would have been perfect for so many things. I kick myself for not grabbing a whole bunch of that material. From deer drag venison burritos to tent canopies. Brother used original dome material for a canopy in turkey camp in ADKs that’s lasted for years upon years. It’s virtually bulletproof. Hindsight is easy at times. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Our old golf dome would have been perfect for so many things. I kick myself for not grabbing a whole bunch of that material. From deer drag venison burritos to tent canopies. Brother used original dome material for a canopy in turkey camp in ADKs that’s lasted for years upon years. It’s virtually bulletproof. Hindsight is easy at times. 

Yeah, that stuff is rugged. The best ones are made of a vinyl coated polyester if I remember right. That s*** is heavy. 

Edited by Rob...
spelling

Before buying my really beat up rustic cabin i would keep a nylon hammock in my car while hunting it rolls up to the size of a softball. I would pick a tree next to a dirt road on state land toss it up and pass out. They are very comfortable and weight less than a pound.

Edited by Red

Rob...I read the initial post, and then to the point of you mentioning that you have a 10x10 popuo canopy.  Forgive me if I did not see if you would prefer NOT lugging aling the 10x10.  If that is an option, and feasible,  and if it is a 10x10 straight leg,  then I recommend a setup like I bought last year.  It attaches to any straight leg 10x10 canopy.  Pinch on the higher price side though, however, you get a true 10x10 space, you do not lose square footage on your sides due to domed ceilings.  We used this once honestly, we LOVED it, and the tent that attaches underneath does have a roof, so you have two roofs, your canopy's, and the tent.

20170827_142801.jpg

20170827_142400.jpg

• Like 2

Please try and remember people, I am talking about setting up a hunting camp with tents in the back country, not a "car camping trip" at Butlog State Park.

Been looking at a few other tents today, will post links if something better then the tent I posted comes up for the price.

13 minutes ago, Rob... said:

Please try and remember people, I am talking about setting up a hunting camp with tents in the back country, not a "car camping trip" at Butlog State Park.

Been looking at a few other tents today, will post links if something better then the tent I posted comes up for the price.

You said you had a 10x10 canopy....that tent attaches to it....hence why I even bothered to mention that.  I did not see you mention that you did, or did not want to lug it.  It was really not a stupid suggestion.

Rob...I read the initial post, and then to the point of you mentioning that you have a 10x10 popuo canopy.  Forgive me if I did not see if you would prefer NOT lugging aling the 10x10.  If that is an option, and feasible,  and if it is a 10x10 straight leg,  then I recommend a setup like I bought last year.  It attaches to any straight leg 10x10 canopy.  Pinch on the higher price side though, however, you get a true 10x10 space, you do not lose square footage on your sides due to domed ceilings.  We used this once honestly, we LOVED it, and the tent that attaches underneath does have a roof, so you have two roofs, your canopy's, and the tent.

20170827_142801.thumb.jpg.65f44ab1f5ccde8971250d604b90a2f3.jpg
20170827_142400.thumb.jpg.7de06b577b2a9cd0fa5dafc77d4ecfcb.jpg
That is one fancy tent!

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rob... said:

Just sayin, if you can drive your car to within 200 yards of the campsite, it's not exactly a "back country" hike in, camping trip. Being able to drive that close to the site. Seems like you could bring lots of stuff, to be very comfortable?  Even if it takes two or three trips with a sled, and pack?

Perhaps I'm missing something? 

Not trying to ridicule here.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bionic said:

You said you had a 10x10 canopy....that tent attaches to it....hence why I even bothered to mention that.  I did not see you mention that you did, or did not want to lug it.  It was really not a stupid suggestion.

I like the suggestion. I did look at the walls and roofs that would fit my canopy. But a little out of the price range I am willing spend. I see people when we camp at state campgrounds going more and more to this set up.

6 hours ago, grampy said:

Just sayin, if you can drive your car to within 200 yards of the campsite, it's not exactly a "back country" hike in, camping trip. Being able to drive that close to the site. Seems like you could bring lots of stuff, to be very comfortable?  Even if it takes two or three trips with a sled, and pack?

Perhaps I'm missing something? 

Not trying to ridicule here.

The terms "back-country" or "back-woods" can be applied to certain/different situations.  I'm not talking a bushcraft adventure here. That would be pure in both aspects.

We are not in a campground, there are no lights, showers, toilets, or porta potties. We have to dig a hole as our toilet. You need a shower, you take a hike to the local stream and hope it has water.  No one delivers our wood, we have to work for it to get enough, and that's the biggest PITA! So, yes, in a way, this is back-country camping.

If I wanted or could go really old school, and do a bushcraft set up for myself, there would be no tent, no buddy heater, and no cot. It would be me, a tarp, a good knife with a ferro rod to make a fire ( which I do have and know how to use ), and a 100% wool blanket. I can't camp that way anymore. My health doesn't allow it.

I just want to plan a trip or two for bow hunting up there, have the amenities and to be able to ride out a passing rain storm. 

• Like 1