Malnourished spike ?

Water Rat

i wouldn't doubt DEC would dump it to be overly cautious.  they've taken out deer for less. such as i've known ECO's to shoot a deer in a suburban neighborhood that gets tame from people feeding it. from what's been described by it's behavior it doesn't seem to be CWD.  a deer hanging out in a backyard letting you get closer than you'd think is nothing new. unless he has an updated report to us that it's behavior has drastically changed, i'd be willing to bet anyone money it's not CWD.  I'm thinking it's just any number of reasons related to nourishment and situation it was in during its first year of life or now. i could think of many. not good for a buck heading into fall though.

did you read his post he said to call dec they would dump deer and test it..man everyone here needs to read and use context

Oh boy...look at response #4 about how DEC would be thankful if YOU DUMPED THAT DEER. Or the response later about killing a skinny looking fox (would have to use CONTEXT to relate that to deer).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did you read his post he said to call dec they would dump deer and test it..man everyone here needs to read and use context

No, actually you should read. He very clearly said he would shoot the deer then call the DEC and have them come pick it up. Do you need me to prove it to you or would YOU like to go back and read?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, chrisw said:

Here you go pal. Screenshot_2018-08-09-15-22-22.jpeg

say call them(dec) they will shoot it and test it..he then said it it was on his farm it would be video shot and tested.. and turned over to ag departmant

exactly what i said...

2 hours ago, chrisw said:

No, actually you should read. He very clearly said he would shoot the deer then call the DEC and have them come pick it up. Do you need me to prove it to you or would YOU like to go back and read?

you disproved yourself. ...the man runs a deer farm so yes he could shoot a deer there and turn it over to ag departmant same as sick cow or horse.. i assume here threw you as perhaps you didnt realise he was re fering to his deer farm.

Edited by G-Man

I emailed the DEC and explained the situation along with the photos a few hours ago. I received an email back from them thanking me for the photographs. They also asked me what my location is , so I replied "Dutchess County". I will be more precise (in location) when they give me their opinion on what they think the problem might be.

• Like 2

I would contact the DEC and have them check it out. They do want you to report all sick or injured deer I would show them all the pictures you have of that deer. It may be a broken jaw or something worst. Keep us inform on what’s going on with the deer

The latest from the DEC.IMG_2112.thumb.JPG.44348526871219f2f82a44555b467099.JPG

This Mike fella must be the maintenance man. Deer neither need to fight or breed to contract CWD. Fawns 6 months of age have been tested positive and out of the thousands of yearling bucks all you guys have on camera has any of you got a pic of a skinny yearling? True picture of our useless DEC right there.

there's a couple of sides regarding the last email. what DEC Mike said in his email is fairly sound other than the idea he's brushing off that fact it's abnormally skinny.  it may just be last years winter was tough on it for whatever reason and it's just playing catch up though. i wouldn't rule it out there might be something else wrong.  he might follow up later and ask for any additional sightings and observations of the deer. DEC doesn't take action at a whim because they do get lots of reports of young skinny deer from concerned people.  even if you hit a deer and it's upright and alert they leave it and give it time rather than shoot it. their s*&^ happens attitude is what it is with them dealing with a lot of people. i still agree it's UNLIKELY it was CWD.  are you still seeing it? getting any worse? being gaunt from CWD is because the deer is too out of it to realize it needs to eat. to me seemed like it was acting like any other young ignorant backyard buck from what you typed.

1 hour ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

This Mike fella must be the maintenance man. Deer neither need to fight or breed to contract CWD. Fawns 6 months of age have been tested positive and out of the thousands of yearling bucks all you guys have on camera has any of you got a pic of a skinny yearling? True picture of our useless DEC right there.

maintenance man?? lol you don't even know the guy!  He said UNLIKELY. He didn't say either that they needed to do those things to contract it.  He was describing situations that would lead to likely contact with other deer which would be the best way to get CWD, if deer around were spreading it.  no reason to insult to guy for giving his at least somewhat professional opinion.

• Like 1

maintenance man?? lol you don't even know the guy!  He said UNLIKELY. He didn't say either that they needed to do those things to contract it.  He was describing situations that would lead to likely contact with other deer which would be the best way to get CWD, if deer around were spreading it.  no reason to insult to guy for giving his at least somewhat professional opinion.

It's pretty obvious this guy knows very little about CWD by him bringing up the 2 least ways a deer will ever contract CWD. Research And Science proven. Prob the same guy that told me 7 years ago that states with CWD would have no deer within 5 years. Yet there are still collard does 18 years old walking around with fawns today in the worst epidemic state of Wisconsin with the highest CWD zone in the world.

Maybe he's suffering from CWD himself? He does spend his days knee deep in deer jizz around tons of deer. Just an option

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

• Like 1

Because the guy isn't jumping out of his chair screaming that the deer should be killed on a whim of CWD makes him useless? You need to check yourself man, seriously...

Because the guy isn't jumping out of his chair screaming that the deer should be killed on a whim of CWD makes him useless? You need to check yourself man, seriously...

No because a so called professional makes a couple useless statements in one reply. Associating CWD with fighting and breeding and saying this is anywhere close to a normal looking yearling. Ridiculous to say the least. Really would like to know where this Mike fella sits in employment for the DEC.

9 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

361c8f43b5c8b4bceaba948b0819b3ed.jpg

I don’t see anything major wrong with the spike just a little skinnier than normal. I see the ribs on deer sometimes. Here’s a pic of a deer that isn’t 1.5 and you can see ribs.

LOL...Not even close to the pic above. At the right angle and deer will show rib...Now backbone and hips are  a total different matter.

• Like 1