Cleaning a riding mower deck

Dave

Guys have any solutions to cleaning under the riding mower deck?  I have a 3 blade 54" deck and it's a pain in the butt to clean under the deck. What I do is lay out some cinder blocks with pieces of 2 x 8 and ride up the 2 x 8's then scoot under with a scraper to get the grass out. It works but it's time consuming a pain to clean, I clean it after every mowing. Any solutions would be appreciated. :'(

Dave

Thats what I always do, or did, but not after every mowing. Usually I would spray it out with a good blast of water every 3 or 4 mowings and scrape it once a year.

I have a 42" mower deck too and it's no problem to clean. It has only two blades and the grass doesn't build up like the 3 blade mower. The configeration under the 3 blade mower is different and catches the grass . Much of the build up in where the middle blade is.

Dave

Many of the rider mowers have a plug you can remove in the deck , install an adaptor and hook up a water hose . I tried to get one of the adaptors and finally had someone tell me ( at Titus Mowers ) that she could get me an adaptor and also all the deck bearings I would need . I said , WHAT ? She said that when you flush the deck with water , the bearings rust and need to be replaced . She said scraping the deck is best way to clean it but would order thae adaptor , if I still wanted it . I passed .

Interesting, the JD dealer told me not to worry about using water to clean the deck. If you think about it, grass is full of moisture and the bearings get wet anyway. Its not like you are submerging it.

Dave, my father has a 60" deck on the back of his tractor (3 pt hitch) that is a 3 blade configuration, and Im not sure how he does his, Ill ask him.

Interesting, the JD dealer told me not to worry about using water to clean the deck. If you think about it, grass is full of moisture and the bearings get wet anyway. Its not like you are submerging it

The JD dealer probably has a lot of bearings in stock !  ::) .... ;D

Interesting, the JD dealer told me not to worry about using water to clean the deck. If you think about it, grass is full of moisture and the bearings get wet anyway. Its not like you are submerging it

The JD dealer probably has a lot of bearings in stock !  ::) .... ;D

Maybe  :D

I got this last fall. Lifts plenty high to do just about anything under the deck still attached to the mower and is very safe and sturdy. I like mine. ;)

http://www.themojack.com/

Thanks Wooly looks just like what I need. I have a Craftsmann  with a 54" deck. How much do they cost.

Dave

I got mine as a gift Dave. I think it was ordered from Harbor Freight if I'm not mistaken for about $200.

Everyone was getting scared by the many redneck ways I'd find to get my tractor lifted enough to work underneath,lol.

???

Well worth it IMO. Even I feel safer now. ;)

I got this last fall. Lifts plenty high to do just about anything under the deck still attached to the mower and is very safe and sturdy. I like mine. ;)

Thanks Wooly looks just like what I need. I have a Craftsmann  with a 54" deck. How much do they cost.

Dave

I got mine as a gift Dave. I think it was ordered from Harbor Freight if I'm not mistaken for about $200.

Everyone was getting scared by the many redneck ways I'd find to get my tractor lifted enough to work underneath,lol.

???

Well worth it IMO. Even I feel safer now. ;)

Wolly I know just what you are talking about. When my sons say my method of cleaning the mower deck they said there has to be a better way. They were asking what I wanted for Fathers Day, I sent them the link to Mo Jack, Thanks much

Dave

I got this last fall. Lifts plenty high to do just about anything under the deck still attached to the mower and is very safe and sturdy. I like mine. :O

Wolly thanks for the information I ordered one from Tractor Supply in Liberty. It was the Mo Jack EZ and it was on sale for $179.99 Now I will not have to worry about the mower falling on my head.

Dave

I have the greatest tool for cleaning under the deck.  it is called a nephew. ;)  I just pick up the front of the mower.  I have a craftsman 18 horse 42 inch cut. I place the front end up on jack stands and get he gets under there and scrapes away. 

I have the greatest tool for cleaning under the deck.  it is called a nephew. ;)  I just pick up the front of the mower.  I have a craftsman 18 horse 42 inch cut. I place the front end up on jack stands and get he gets under there and scrapes away.

Bubba live to far away . When I am up cutting grass I am usually by myself so the job belongs to me. But the MoJack that Wooly gave me info on will do the trick, can't wait for it to come in.

Dave

Good deal Dave, I'm sure you'll find it's a sweet little set up for someone like yourself who gets under there often.

Hope that works out good for ya!

Wooly, thanks I appreciate your help.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Guy's picked up The Mo Jack EZ from Tractor Supply and this thing works great. Mower lifter cleaned in and out 20 minutes. And I didn't break my back in the process. Folds up , who could ask for more.

Dave

Had the belt break on my Troy Built 42" mower a couple days ago . Removed the deck and went to Lowes and bought a replacement . Had to replace the blades again as on was bent from hitting a rock . Anyway got it apart , replaced the blades and belt and finished mowing the lawn . What a pain . It took time but wasn't all that difficult .

Lol ..... I had to replace a belt on my Dr Trimmer yesterday. Not much of a surprise ...... It's 12 years old now and I definitely work the heck out of it. In fact today I put in 4 hours of constant pushing that thing. I do my 1000' driveway edges. Because of the steep ditches, each pass is like some kind of gym workout with pushing the thing down the side of the steep ditch as far as I can reach and then pulling it back up. Right now I feel like one great big ache .....  :-[ .

By the way, if anyone wants a recommendation on the Dr Trimmer products, I can only say that for the money, I have never had such a quality built and useful item. There absolutely would be no other way practical for a tough spot like my driveway, especially with all the trees along the side. If this thing ever dies, I will not hesitate to buy another one.