Cost of Gas

noodle one

I just returned from filling my truck up with gas. When I leave my house I can turn right for a ten (10) min ride to the station down off the hill to get gas there for $3.75.9, a gal.in NY State or I can turn left for a fifteen (15) min ride down Rt. 81 south to PA. to fill up at $3.59.9 a gal. . That is a $.16 cents difference. I would like to know what NY State is doing with that $.16 cents that is being paid for every gal. of gas. Maybe the station owners are pocketing some of it. I don't think New York State is using it for road work, because every time I make a trip on NY roads I am forever dodging pot holes. When I take a trip south into PA I not dodging pot holes and there is always crews out working on the roads. I know that by driving down into PA I am on an interstate and there fore drivering faster and using a little more gas, but I think it is worth it. I live in Broome Co. and I have always felt that the station owners keep the price artificiality high, because if I want to drive a half hour from my house there are a few stations that are $.08 or .10

cents cheaper than the other stations in Broome Co. New York State. When I ask why of the higher priced stations, the answer is always the same. Corp. headquarters set the price. Funny thing is that the lower priced stations are Corp. stations also. If someone on here can explain it to me I would appreciate it. Thanks, noodle one

And isn't it a fact that periodically (usually close to election time), we always hear some politicians ranting and raving about how "we must have an investigation into the gas price gouging and area income profiling". And then, mysteriously all demands for investigations quiet down and go completely silent. In recent years that has become quite predictable.

I have to believe that there are some anti-trust violations being committed that implicates all the petroleum companies. I also believe that localized variations from one region to another are created and agreed upon. I have heard that it involves the financial demographics of an area (in other words price setting according to general incomes and ability to pay of an area). And yes, when it comes to the differences from one state to another, you can look directly at the state taxation policies. We do love our taxes in this state ..... lol.

At any rate, I am getting convinced that there is some real price fixing when it comes to fuel prices and an awful lot of close cooperation between companies. I am also getting convinced that our politicians only get involved to the extent that their meaningless rhetoric is useful to their campaigns. In truth the only thing holding prices from going farther is the fact that when prices do get too high, the public does begin to modify their consumption, and that is not a a real good thing for the petro-business.

There are simply some businesses that have more power and influence that our government itself.

Filled up today in Liverpool 3.57 a gallon.  3.62 with a credit card.  It was on the news last night that (wish I caught his name) a polititian that is rasing a stink over the gas pricing structure in NY.  His big complaint was how fast they stations raise there price but how long it takes them to lower it versus other states.  He stated that it NY is 2 weeks later than any other state and he is investigating why.    I always thought that it was a catch 22.  A station orders gas at say 3.00 a gallon and the next day the price goes up to 3.50 so they take advantage and raise the price Of what they already bought and make a greater profit off it.  Now when they buy gas at 3.50 and the price drops the next day they are not going to lower there price till the tanks are empty or they lose money.  Maybe NY should put a cap on the size of their holding tanks and not allow the stations to raise the price of gas purchsed at a cheaper price.  I dont like the high prices anymore than the next guy but after a quick math lesson form one of my kids today she had to ask me why do people get so upset over say a 20 cent difference.  Had to chuckle when she said think about it dad if you get 20 gallons of fuel that 4 bucks more.  You spent alot more than 4 dollars on stuff that you didnt need and never complained once.  Oh boy I think I got a future senator on my hands. 

The sad truth is T. Boone Pickens had a plan to replace gasoline with natural gas which is not only plentiful and an easy conversion but we in NYS are lousy with it. So not only would it create jobs here and nationwide but would lower the cost of driving. He supported Obama because he thought he was behind his plans to do this and build windmills but apparently Obama wants us to get our comeuppance rather than help our country succeed. These two issues plus increasing coal fired electric generating would help us out in our time of need. Embracing nnew technology is fine but letting 300 million twist in the wind at the mercy of the Saudis while we wait for something that hasn't been discovered is more than crazy. It's vindictive and intentionally hurting us.

yesterday morning I paid 3.64 a gallon cash price.  On my way home at 7pm same station was 3.77.  They raise it up 75 cents, everyone gripes, they lower it 50 everyone shuts up.  Umm it is on the way bak up again to slide in just a bit further.

$3.64 this morning on my way to my son's LAX game. VOTE THESE IDIOTS OUT!!!!!!

Most people complain but don't vote. Look at the mess this country is in, who got us there it's the politicians who we elected. Not the tax payers, we pay our taxes in good faith and they mis appropriate it to things we would never vote for in a million years. VOTE THEM OUT

Dave

VOTE THESE IDIOTS OUT!!!!!!

Ah, but the dilemma is when you vote these clowns out, what new batch of clowns come in to replace them. Remember, every jerky politician that we have now replaced someone before them.  ::P

VOTE THESE IDIOTS OUT!!!!!!

Ah, but the dilemma is when you vote these clowns out, what new batch of clowns come in to replace them. Remember, every jerky politician that we have now replaced someone before them.  ::P

YUP  :-\

Oh wow - gas just went down $.05.  I gotta go for a drive and get rid of some of the expensive gas in my truck so I can fill it up with the cheaper stuff!  :'(