The BEST Counties in NY?

Geno C

I was just curious has there ever been any studies or statistics inline to determine some of the best Counties in NY? I always wondered... Im talking any specific counties where big bucks tend to be harvested?

The DEC 2010 deer harvest summary shows breakout by county and town, so you can see the quantity of deer taken by area.  There are couple of tables in there regarding antler points on deer taken, but I don't think it gives you the size data you were looking for:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/2010deerrpt.pdf

I don't have a copy here anymore, the I think NY Fish and Game magazine does an hunting preview every year where it highlights best hunting by county - - I think they get into antler/deer size stats you are looking for there.

If I am not mistaken ( which I may be) there has NEVER been a B&C  whitetail scored from Steuben County.  More seasons than not, Steuben has the highest buck kill and the highest total deer kill, but theren't many real monsters, mostly because most bucks don't survive long enough. Plenty of bucks make the 140 inch Big Buck Club minimum, but that's a long way from B&C, which I believe is 170 inches net. The biggest buck I ever personally saw  taken here netted 168 and change. 

The real hogs come from the Adirondacks and the Lake Plains south of lake Ontario.

• Like 1

one has to keep in mind these are the ones that are entered... there is know way on knowing how many are taken each year or total because some people do not enter them even if they get them measured...only use it as a guide..(maybe it should be no coincidence that the big buck areas are also within driving distance of a city) more hunters more recorded..)

• Like 2

If I am not mistaken ( which I may be) there has NEVER been a B&C  whitetail scored from Steuben County.  More seasons than not, Steuben has the highest buck kill and the highest total deer kill, but theren't many real monsters, mostly because most bucks don't survive long enough. Plenty of bucks make the 140 inch Big Buck Club minimum, but that's a long way from B&C, which I believe is 170 inches net. The biggest buck I ever personally saw  taken here netted 168 and change. 

The real hogs come from the Adirondacks and the Lake Plains south of lake Ontario.

I never thought the Adirondacks really had big antlered deer, but huge bodied deer.  I've seen the Salerno's and other Adirondack buck sites, and haven't really seen many big antlered bucks, a few, not many.  Nice bucks, but the habitat/weather is rough there.  If anyone's got some pics proving otherwise, I'd like to see them (Nyanter?). 

I was just talking B&C.... P&Y is a whole different thing...130 Min for P& Y verses 170 in for B&C. That is a HUGE difference..

I have not checked the stats in a few years, but I guess I should, since I am discussing this topic...

I do know that for many years, the state records for both Typical and Non typical were taken in Alleghany County in 1939.. The typ was shot by a fellow named Roosevelt Lucky, if I remember right, and it scored around 190-200.. HUGE for a typical. The Non was , of course, somewhat higher than that, but I don't remember the details.

Since then a number of B& C bucks have been taken in the Adirondacks, and probably from other areas around the state.

Look up the details, guys... I gotta go grill zuchinni and brats for my Sweetie.. ;D ..

There are three things that relate to rack size.

Nutrition

and Genetics.

Genetics is a crap shoot and something you cant control so i don't think about it plus my own personal belief is that there are bucks with great genetic potential everywhere.

If you look at the QDM map WNY and the finger lakes have huge deer becuase of the nutrition. Orleans, Niagara, Genese, Wyoming, Livingston, Steuben, Yates, Ontario Seneca, Cayuga, Wayne this is the NY bread basket (a good part of why the mid west grows some huge deer).

If you also look at that map and see the red around Rochester, Buffalo and on the island there are a lot of sanctuaries that let deer get old. There is less pressure around those areas.

The ADK mountains don't have the nutrition and i think the weather takes a toll so you don't see as many deer come out of there. That being said the hunting pressure is no where near the southern zone and the deer population just isn't as dense so not as many deer are harvested. But age is definetly on there side.

I do know that for many years, the state records for both Typical and Non typical were taken in Alleghany County in 1939.. The typ was shot by a fellow named Roosevelt Lucky, if I remember right, and it scored around 190-200.. HUGE for a typical. The Non was , of course, somewhat higher than that, but I don't remember the details.

Both those bucks were shot in the northern part of the county lots of agriculture up that way (even more so in 1939). Southern part of the county looks alot more like the ADK mtns. and is a completley differnt world.

One of the former Non-typical state records is in the basement of someone I know. The one that took the title from that one is in his neighbor's home. Both were taken in the Livingston/Ontario/Monroe county area. I wont get more specific than that. The one is mounted along side multiple 160+ deer that were never entered in the books and a pile of 130 and 140+ skull caps that he never even bothered to mount. We grow em big out here if they dont get shot young.

• Like 1