The BEST Counties in NY?

Geno C

If I am not mistaken ( which I may be) there has NEVER been a B&C  whitetail scored from Steuben County.  More seasons than not, Steuben has the highest buck kill and the highest total deer kill, but theren't many real monsters, mostly because most bucks don't survive long enough. Plenty of bucks make the 140 inch Big Buck Club minimum, but that's a long way from B&C, which I believe is 170 inches net. The biggest buck I ever personally saw  taken here netted 168 and change. 

I just scanned the latest edition of the NYSBBC record book and Steuben does have 4 net booners in the books: 3 non-typs over 200", another 198 bow kill and a 171 typical.  While 140's-150's class deer are pretty common in my area (by NY standards), a net score of 170 is tough to reach.  We have the most deer entered in the books and around 30 bucks listed over 160.  I actually had my hands on a 181 gross B&C typical last season, but he fell WAY short due to half of the tines on his right side being broken off.  If his rack would have had been fully intact, he would have grossed in the upper 190's typical.

Outside of the bow only areas, Regions 7, 8 and 9 produce the state's largest bucks every season.  To single one county out, I'd say that Niagara County currently seems to be the "hottest" in the state.  There have been a number of booners taken up there in the past several seasons.

We grow em big out here if they dont get shot young.

Sounds like you are on your way to an ar conversation!!! LOL

Personally, I'm pretty "in the middle" when it comes to the great AR debate, but there is no debate needed on this one...it's just an undeniable fact that a dead buck won't grow when he's killed at a young age!!!

• Like 1

Heres all I can find. Its a chart showing P&Y and B&C entries from 1996-2005. Looks like western NY is where its at!

That map is a good starting point, but the state records books have far more enteries meeting the B&C and P&Y minimums during that time period than what is being shown on that map...every county in Regions 8 and 9 should be dark orange or red.

Actually, it's been a few years since I paid much attention to such things, John..

When was the 171 Typical entered ?

Duane Horton...1976.  Actually, the head was at a local show a couple years back and I believe it grossed in the mid-180's but had several abnormal points.

Sounds like you are on your way to an ar conversation!!! LOL

HAHAHA, nope. Im not much of an AR supporter, just stating a fact. We have the food and habitat to grow big deer here.

That is a fact. Doc on the other hand is having a conniption over this post.

I agree about many not reporting or saying where they get 'em. But that may be even across the state as well so the effect may not change what counties are best.

A farm I know in one year took a 170, 160 class as well as another in the 150's. they certinly did not send pics into  the newspaper , post them on line , or enter any contests .

"how'd ya do ?"  " Oh gotta couple does.......

• Like 2

looking for land Geno?

ive been looking for some time now... im not buying land based on a counties production but its been a question ive had in mind for awhile. other states always list hot spot counties, i was wondering what ours were

• 2 years later...

Here is a little secret.  Suffolk County is one of the best for deer.  It's not easy to hunt.  The eastern end of Long Island is loaded with deer.  The problem is there is little access.  Bow hunters have the best opportunity.  Here, you can hunt the large wooded areas in the pine barrens and along the Long Island Expresway.  Shot gun hunting is allowed but the access is very limited.  Bow hunters should seek small patches of woods in and around farms and homes.  We also have massive bucks.  You will find them along the Long Island Sound and where the farms and vineyards run up to the Sound.  As a long time resident of this area I have driven home late at night and seen some big boys within a quarter mile from my house in the farm fields.  Also I see plenty of does and bucks feeding late at night from midnight to day break feeding along the LIE from exit 68 east.  The two biggest racks I've seen was just two years ago it was early November I was driving through a town 20 miles west of my house, heavy surburban, not considered the eastern end of LOng Island.  I was on Jericho Turnpike in Selden and just at sunset a really big boy with a huge rack, jogged across the road.  The biggest rack I've seen was in an east end town called Greenport.  The guy was feeding on the side of the road on Rte 25 just east of Greenpoint.  We stopped to take a look.  He raised his head and looked at us.  My wife counted at least 10 pts.  The rack was very heavy.  He turned and just walked back into the weeds.  I have an old friend who is a devout bow hunter.  He takes a lot of deer.  I am not a bow hunter.  He told me some big boys are routinely taken but the bow hunters in the know keep their mouths shut.  These guys don't want their picture in the News Review or the Southampton Press.  Evidently, he is right.  I've seen some photos of his deer and a few are big time "wall hangers".  

I have a breakdown of recordbook bucks taken for the last few years in all counties of NY... I will be posting a .pdf fill on the NYSBBC website soon... but I can tell you that Livingston was one of the top in the state for big buck entries for the last few years.

I would be looking at many factors or resources..... for sure record books help....

Here is a better pic of the NY state Big Buck Club

20131006_081245_zps42dd18bc.jpg

Look at soil maps,  and it is almost a match...........

Age is key so acreage, neighbors, Soil, property potential, and already in place QDM Coops is what I would look for.

Western NY is a great place.... more and more people are passing on 1.5's here.  Good Luck

• Like 1

Both those bucks were shot in the northern part of the county lots of agriculture up that way (even more so in 1939). Southern part of the county looks alot more like the ADK mtns. and is a completley differnt world.

I believe the Luckey Buck was shot in the town of Caneadea, near the Genesee River valley fertile soils

IV always heard Allegany county but I think theres alot of big bucks takin every year in most countys ya just never hear of them, the big freak bucks 155" plus ya hear of but I think in new York a 130-140 buck is a monster, and I know of quite a few in Oneida county where I live being taken, friend of mine shot a 155" 15 pointer last year , it all depends which county gets more hype , like Illinois EVERY one has heard of pike county but I bet big bucks bucks are killed in the surrounding countys just no one ever hears of them,

look at the new 2013-2014 NY Hunting & Trapping Guide, page 9.  Shows the same data WesternNY posted.  I'll tell you right now though I've lived in western NY and in eastern NY (Rensselaer county).  Soil might help but it doesn't have a damn thing to do with those record book numbers.  The mentality of hunters is just different, that's why Rensselaer county is the only white on the map.

Charlie Alsheimer who lives and studies deer hear in NY has said that a reasonable top end to expect from bucks anywhere in the country would be 130-160.  bigger than that and certain above average things need to present to benefit and grow a bigger buck.

Same with Putnam county.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Lots of deer in Putnam....easy to get a small buck or doe.  problem is there are are a few hundred (maybe thousand) pumpkins in the woods come opening day.  One year I hunted a 500 ac DEP property and the DEP estimated 150 hunters were on the that 500ac that day.  Still bagged an 8pts ...thank goodness for stupid road hugging pumpkins

Soil is huge, age is huge, cover is huge, etc.

There is a difference between good bucks and top-end state and world-class bucks. Most people with multiple B&C bucks - that aren't hunting celebs or rich, traveling hunters, have taken their bucks within a very small similar geographical area. Most times this is measured in a handful of square miles, not county.

One dynamic that isn't noted is Yates county...look at that color and look at that county's buck per sq. mile harvest rate. Then, consider the fact they have one of if not THE largest QDM co-op in the state.

Edited by phade

Lots of deer in Putnam....easy to get a small buck or doe.  problem is there are are a few hundred (maybe thousand) pumpkins in the woods come opening day.  One year I hunted a 500 ac DEP property and the DEP estimated 150 hunters were on the that 500ac that day.  Still bagged an 8pts ...thank goodness for stupid road hugging pumpkins

Putnam county is pretty much suburbia.  Suburban areas generally have lots of deer and can hold some big bucks, too.  The big problem is access to private land.  You either have it or you don't, and if you do it's most likely a small parcel these days.  That's why you get 150 hunters on 500 acres of public land in a county like that.