bait pile

a couple of my neighbors pigs got sick and the vet came and shot them up with some anti-biotics but they died anyway. He asked if he could dump them on my property so I let him since deer season is over and I do coyote hunt. Now I have a pig bait pile about 125 yards from the garage. I never hunted over a bait pile for coyotes and figure the birds would end up scavenging most of it for their winter food. the 2 pigs are huge - 1 is about 400lbs, the other is about 300lbs. Might be too close to the garage for coyotes to bother but thought i'd give them some time and check them at night once in awhile. I can look out the garage upstairs window to check for any activity. I don't really know the basics of bait pile hunting but thought this might keep those dogs nearby when I go out.

20190101_112144.jpg

20190101_112211.jpg

20190101_112159.jpg

I would open them up so the Crows can get at them and also send out more scent, varmints can read Crow activity. Light them up at night once they start getting hit, if you have varmints in the area you will see all kinds of eyes.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, airedale said:

I would open them up so the Crows can get at them and also send out more scent, varmints can read Crow activity. Light them up at night once they start getting hit, if you have varmints in the area you will see all kinds of eyes.

Al

i'll have to go out later and unzip them i guess

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Look up New York Consolidated Laws-Agriculture &  Markets, Article 26, Section 377.

A loose interpretation would say that he's in compliance with paragraph 2. He's "experimenting" to see if the carcasses will draw in coyotes. If they do, he's gonna "teach" them a lesson

• 2 weeks later...

14 days now, no tracks and they remain untouched!.goes along with my theory that the coyotes in my area have a wide range and only come around every 2-3 weeks. Been out calling a few times with the lucky duck revolt and have been out on the deck listening for their songs and it's been dead quiet.

2 hours ago, Engraver99 said:

14 days now, no tracks and they remain untouched!.goes along with my theory that the coyotes in my area have a wide range and only come around every 2-3 weeks. Been out calling a few times with the lucky duck revolt and have been out on the deck listening for their songs and it's been dead quiet.

Some places just dont have them thick like others..hart to believe fox ,coon opossum, crows or weasel havent been on it.